How should I approach cooling both CPU and GPU?

Chunkylover21

Weaksauce
Hey guys I have had Danger Den products cooling my CPU for the last year or 2 and its been working great. I now want to add a block to my 8800 Ultra as well. I ordered the Zalman ZM-GWB8800 block from newegg.

Right now cooling my CPU are these

Black Ice pro 120mm Radiator

D5 Pump

3/4" OD 1/2" ID Tygon Tubing

I have it rigged in a very simplistic fashion with a T Line + fillport for filling.

My question is should I simply upgrade my radiator to a 240mm Black Ice Pro II? Or should I put it on a completely seperate loop with another 120mm radiator?

Also is the block I bought a good choice? I know the fittings on it are small as hell but if I get adapters will that be ok or should I be cancelling my order for a different block?

Thanks in advance.

If you're adding an 8800 Ultra, I'd just add another double radiator into your loop, along with the 8800 block. No sense getting another pump or anything.

I don't think 2 single 120mm radiators will cut it, nor a double.

That Zalman block is alright. It generally scores temperatures about 10c over the EK blocks... Which isn't that much of a difference IMO. Not for a GPU.

I don't think 2 single 120mm radiators will cut it, nor a double.

+1 I tried cooling a E6600 and 880GTS with a 120.2 radiator and it was too much heat load. You will want more radiator for your configuration.

Ok sounds good about adding another radiator. I just got a new motherboard and am checking temps. Apparently the temp sensor on my previous board was incorrect so these are really the first real temps I have of my system. Do they seem right? I would think with liquid cooling I should be getting better CPU temps than this.

Right now according to Everest my CPU is idling at

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5043/13997183vp7.jpg

Ok sounds good about adding another radiator. I just got a new motherboard and am checking temps. Apparently the temp sensor on my previous board was incorrect so these are really the first real temps I have of my system. Do they seem right? I would think with liquid cooling I should be getting better CPU temps than this.

Right now according to Everest my CPU is idling at

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5043/13997183vp7.jpg

Double that heatload and you'll be singing a different tune.

Indeed, are those current CPU temps poor though with my current setup?

Depends on a lot of things. What's the ambient temp? Fan Speed? Dual core? Quad? Case airflow?

As a baseline, that's what my rig in the sig loads at, anywhere from 40-43 depending on the ambient temp. But I've got a completely diff setup, so it really just depends on your other factors.

Heres my setup.

Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Ed
4gb (4 x 1gb) Corsair XMS PC6400
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
nVidia 8800 Ultra
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
OCZ 700W PSU
75gb 10,000 RPM Raptor
500gb WD Caviar 7,200 RPM
Dual Layer DVD Burner
Danger Den Liquid Cooling
LGA775 TDX CPU Block
Black Ice Pro 120mm Radiator
D5 Pump
3/4" OD 1/2" ID Tygon Tubing

Ambient Room Temp is ~70 F.

I have a 120mm door intake fan, a 120mm fan on my radiator doing intake, and an 80mm top fan on exhaust. They all move a ton of air.

Both cores idling around 56 is way too high for liquid cooling, what the hell is the deal here.

i was not happy with my 8800gts and cpu when i had a bi 120.2. i switched over to a thermochill 120.2 (about 2x as thick). i will say i use low speed fans. i would go pa 120.2 or thermochill pa 160 or with b.i. 120.3 or better for a medium speed fan setup

i think a bigger rad should drop your gpu 5+ c

dont talk in acronyms. i dont know what you just said there. im not a lifeless liquid cooling overlcockers who spends countless hours doing this. you have to explain that in actual words if you want me to know what you are talking about.

dont talk in acronyms. i dont know what you just said there. im not a lifeless liquid cooling overlcockers who spends countless hours doing this. you have to explain that in actual words if you want me to know what you are talking about.

Who pooped in your cereal? :rolleyes:

I don't see too many acyonyms used there. BI=Black Ice and any mention to PA is talking about the Therochill PA series of radiators. Oh and rad=radiator. If we're going to get picky here I'd prefer it if you used some capitilization please.

Im not being picky, I just want to be able to know what he is talking about so he doesnt have to repeat himself.

Someone on another forum is recommending that I ditch the TDX and get a D-Tek FuZion. He says my CPU temps are way too high for liquid cooling and its because the TDX isnt a very good block. Is there truth in that?

I don't see too many acyonyms used there. BI=Black Ice and any mention to PA is talking about the Therochill PA series of radiators. Oh and rad=radiator. If we're going to get picky here I'd prefer it if you used some capitilization please.

Uhm... New users don't instinctively understand all the acronyms we throw around. BI can refer to a large range of radiators, and PA is probably unknown to him.

Someone on another forum is recommending that I ditch the TDX and get a D-Tek FuZion. He says my CPU temps are way too high for liquid cooling and its because the TDX isnt a very good block. Is there truth in that?

Sadly, yes. The TDX was great in it's day. It still have a permanent place in my server, but that's about it. Going to a Fuzion from my TDX dropped my dual core conroe's temperature by almost 8c...

As for the radiator... I'd add in a Swiftech MCR-320 radiator, and ditch your current one... That's probably the easiest way!

Also. FYI... When someone refers to a radiator as X.Y (like, 120.1) the X = fan size and Y = number of fans. 120.3 = a triple radiator (like the MCR-320 I listed above)

Alright sweet you literally suggested teh same stuff they did on the other forums. Like word for word. Thanks dude. I think this will be the route im taking. It will also be nice and easy to fit in my case I plan on getting as well. I want the Lian Li 1200B. Anyone have anything to say about that case? I think it looks nice and big and will be a great new case for me.

I'm surprised you got any help at all after that comment. There's more polite ways to ask for help.

Uhm... New users don't instinctively understand all the acronyms we throw around. BI can refer to a large range of radiators, and PA is probably unknown to him.

Oh I understand that, but as Mysterae said, there's nicer ways to ask for help. He almost seemed demanding and basically called everyone who understands those acronyms 'lifeless liquid cooling overclockers.'

Grow up you guys, you seriously begging for a freakin apology on internet forums. You think I am the immature one? Im not the child who said "who pooped in your cereal".

Just because I didnt say please and go "oh im an idiot, can you please please please not abbreviate, im a child and you guys are too smart for me to understand because you are such experts"

Im sorry you dont get the gratification of feeling like bigshots because I didnt beg for you to pamper me.

No one's asking you to beg for anything. We're simply asking that you be polite to the people that have the knowledge that you're seeking to learn. It's really quite simple.

Back