How overclockable are the 8800gt?

brahim

Limp Gawd
Should i get stock speeds ? Or should i get the OC versions ? When I bought my 8800gts i bought stock and oc it. Are these overclockable friendly ?

One would assume so. Especially if these are the 65nm chips.

Anyone know if they are?

Anyway, that is what I plan on doing. Did the step up, got the regular gt, and I'm going to OC it a bit.

Should i get stock speeds ? Or should i get the OC versions ? When I bought my 8800gts i bought stock and oc it. Are these overclockable friendly ?

I assume you're talking about eVGA? I think when a company sells 4 versions of the same card at different speeds, they are binning the cores. That may go against you if you choose one of the slower cards in the lineup. I had an eVGA 7800GT and it did not overclock as well as the more overclocked versions they sold. YMMV.

The stock cooler seems really simpy. Cant wait to see someone stick some 3rd party coolers on it.
Though there is a company that is putting passive cooling, using a sizeable heatsink. I'd like to stick a fan on that passive heatsink and see how it OCs.

The stock heatsink should be good to about 710-720mhz core/2050-2100 ram speeds assuming a decent ambient temperature and case cooling.

I didn't read too many reviews since they mostly come to the same conclusion. The last one I read that overclocked their 8800GT was at Toms, and it didn't overclock very much.
Our GeForce 8800GT still saw its GPU clock go from 600 to 680 MHz, a 13% increase, the stream processors following a similar pattern. Memory wise, we went from 900 to 1050 MHz (+17%).
from Toms Hardware.

Back