• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How outdated is my rig?

Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
572
It's been a couple of years now since I last bought a PC. I have a $1500 bonus burning a hole in my pocket and wondering if its time to buy a new PC. I use it mostly for gaming (FPS), HD video playback, basic video editing and photoshop.

Here's my current spec. Thoughts??

CASE = Antec P182
MOBO = ABIT IP35 Pro
CPU = Intel Q6600 G0 Stepping (overclock to 3GHz)
CPU HEATSINK = Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
POWER = Corsair 620HX
VIDEO = eVGA 8800GT KO 675Mhz
AUDIO = OnBoard
MEMORY = G.Skill 3x2GB DDR800 CL5 Kit
OS = Win 7 64bit

Thanks!!
 
It's all relative. Is your computer doing what you need it to do? Then yes its enough. If not, then upgrade.

I wouldn't upgrade right now unless you need to, wait for Sandy Bridge.
 
upgrade the cpu and vc. That would give you a pretty capable system.

I think just a vc upgrade alone isn't enough since you'd be limited by the cpu. A more modern quad cpu will be your ticket.
 
Since you have a TRUE 120, put about 50-100 mV more and bump up to 3.2-3.4 GHz and get yourself a new video card.
 
upgrade the cpu and vc. That would give you a pretty capable system.

I think just a vc upgrade alone isn't enough since you'd be limited by the cpu. A more modern quad cpu will be your ticket.
Problem is that if he wants a cost-effective CPU upgrade, he's gonna have to buy a new CPU and motherboard anyway. Current new socket 775 Intel quad-cores CPUs are very overpriced for the performance they offer.
Isn't Sandy Bridge going to be hella expensive with it being cutting edge and all?

Well actually these Sandy Bridge CPUs are the mainstream CPUs. So their pricings should be around the current pricing of the Intel Core i5 7xx series CPUs at the very least.
 
yeah i suppose. with 1500 bucks burning a hole, i thought spending a few bucks on a better quad and obviously a video card of this generation would be ideal without too much a hassle or waste.

I agree with you too though so idk.
 
I agree. Just wait for Sandy Bridge to come out, wait for a price drop on it and check the benchmarks. You may be looking at a new mobo, depending on what your current one can support.

On the other hand, if your computer does what you want, why upgrade? I have a nice big monitor that I paid $1G for back in Dec. of 2004, of course now they're about 1/4th that price. But, it's Standard Definition. It still works just great. Until it dies, I have no reason to upgrade to a video card that supports HD. Any game I've thrown at it so far has been able to run smoothly at least in low res and I'm cool w/ that.

Your system is better than mine and I can even play Crysis and any CoD game.
 
I just upgraded my Q6600 setup to an i7 870 setup and have been very pleased so far.
The only reason I upgraded was timing. Someone needed replacement parts, so I gave them my Q6600, Asus P5Q Pro, 4GB or DDR2 800 ram, 8600GT, Antec 550watt PSU, Pioneer DVD-RW, swapped out their failed or incompatible parts and delivered the machine and hooked everything up.
No money out of my pocket, just the labor.
My i7 870, Asus P7P55D-E, and 8GB Corsair XMS3 cost $573.
 
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I'll splurge for an SSD at this time and then wait for Sandy Bridge next spring.
I think an SSD will be the easiest upgrade that I will be sure to see tangible improvements from right now. Plus I can always transfer it to my new system next year. Currently using a WD 7200rpm HD.
 
:eek:

Does you motherboard support Core 2 CPUs?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And even if the motherboard on which the Pentium D sits on did support Core 2 CPUs, most such old motherboards might not support any of the 45nm CPUs at all due to stricter VRM requirements for the newer CPUs.
 
:eek: :eek: :eek:

And even if the motherboard on which the Pentium D sits on did support Core 2 CPUs, most such old motherboards might not support any of the 45nm CPUs at all due to stricter VRM requirements for the newer CPUs.

Still, even a 65nm Core 2 Duo or Quad should be a big improvement right?
 
Still, even a 65nm Core 2 Duo or Quad should be a big improvement right?

Yes, but the only way to get any of the 65nm CPUs is used. All of the new LGA 775 CPUs on reseller shelves are 45nm. (And I would not purchase any of the NIB LGA 775 CPUs nowadays because like Danny said they are significantly overpriced for their performance.)
 
not as outdated as mine

MSI K8N Neo 4 Only 2 of the 8 SATA ports work
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ winchester core i think
2 GB Crucial PC3200 ram
Geforce 7800 GT (had to upgrade since my radeon died)
 
Back
Top