How often do you upgrade?

DoomRulz

Gawd
Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm thinking of upgrading my 680 GTX to the 980 upon its release. I bought the 680 two years ago and it still performs well, but with Far Cry 4 on the horizon, along with my anticipation of DOOM 4, I'm thinking it might be worth buying a new GPU. When I went to NCIX to investigate pricing and such, I ended up browsing around their site at the usual PC components like RAM, PSUs, and so on. I had a passing thought about buying extra RAM or perhaps other items, but I built my rig only two years ago so I was just wondering.

How often do you folks upgrade your PC(s) and what factors do you consider when and what to purchase?

I have had my build since like 2009. I just bought a i5 4690k and a R9 280 and looking at motherboards/memory/case to replace my build. I really judge it by what games I play and if I feel I could get a performance gain out of it. I hardly play anything stressful, but my build was just getting long in the teeth.

I usually build a new rig for myself every two years and pass on the old one to someone in the family. Sometimes I also build a new rig for family or friend. So about once a year I am building a new rig whether its for me or someone else.

Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm thinking of upgrading my 680 GTX to the 980 upon its release. I bought the 680 two years ago and it still performs well, but with Far Cry 4 on the horizon, along with my anticipation of DOOM 4, I'm thinking it might be worth buying a new GPU. When I went to NCIX to investigate pricing and such, I ended up browsing around their site at the usual PC components like RAM, PSUs, and so on. I had a passing thought about buying extra RAM or perhaps other items, but I built my rig only two years ago so I was just wondering.

How often do you folks upgrade your PC(s) and what factors do you consider when and what to purchase?
In your case, assuming you didn't something dumb like build an AMD Phenom II system two years ago, more than likely you have an Intel setup. So you really don't need to upgrade the core CPU and motherboard parts for awhile.

As for me, I upgrade the CPU + mobo (and possibly RAM) whenever I really need more performance or every 3-4 years, whichever comes first. I usually get at least one GPU upgrade out of a system.

Every two years or so, selling of the parts of the current. I also keep a backup rig (in parts only) in the closet -- just the mobo/processor and a few HDD. Spare ram. My backup is a 975 Phenom with a 970 board and 8GB DDR3. My physical running backup is a laptop of course. Though ... I'm thinking of using the HD 7970 to rebuild that system with and getting a GTX 980 for my current when it hits the market.

OP, you really should wait for Doom 4 and any other games you're anticipating to come out before buying in advance. Do you need the 980 for any games you play right now? If so, go ahead, but if not, why rush it? The chances of 9XX series' price going down is far more likely than it going up, especially with GPU mining on the downslope...

And to answer your question: I upgrade when I feel it will increase my experience/productivity/enjoyment noticeably more than what I already have.

CPU every 3 generations.

GPU every 2 generations.

RAM and motherboard with CPU upgrade.

PSU upgrade when I need it.

Case upgrade when I feel like it.

Back