• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much will this cost me?

TechBoy

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,529
I was thinking about upgrading my computer but then thought about the new cpus coming around the corner. I finally got a very decent paying job and saved up plenty this time so I want to spend no more than say 1.75k on a new comp. I want to know say what are the projected price on the core i7 and the motherboards? If they are too expensive I might just have to buy a q6600 and ride it out. Would be nice to know so I can make an informed decision.

To recap Q6600 now or Core i7 in the upcoming months. (My comp is really crapping right now for certain things so I cant really wait with out upgrading)
 
Batch pricing for the 2.66GHz quad i7 coming out were supposed to be around $280 so I wouldn't imagine it could be more then $300 as long as dealers don't go overboard with markup... but there is no way of knowing what markup will be until it comes out.
 
Considering that the i7's are new CPUs and will more than likely see high demand, that markup will probably be pretty high on them for a month or two.

Mobo wise, I'm guessing $200 minimum for the motherboard judging from the releases of the P965 and P35 motherboards. Could be higher since the X58 chipset, the only chipset to be released for i7 CPUs, is Intel's high-end chipset like Intel's current X38 and X48 chipsets.

RAM wise, not too sure actually since it is not known what's highest or lowest speed DDR3 RAM the X58 chipset will support. But note that 2GB of DDR3 1066, DDR3 1600, an DDR3 2000 RAM costs around ~$75, ~$120 and $200 respectively these days.

So adding up everything together, that's about $600 for the mobo, RAM and CPU. But that's just the best-case scenario. Worst case scenario: Maybe $700 to $800 for the mobo, RAM and CPU.
 
Considering that the i7's are new CPUs and will more than likely see high demand, that markup will probably be pretty high on them for a month or two.

Mobo wise, I'm guessing $200 minimum for the motherboard judging from the releases of the P965 and P35 motherboards. Could be higher since the X58 chipset, the only chipset to be released for i7 CPUs, is Intel's high-end chipset like Intel's current X38 and X48 chipsets.

RAM wise, not too sure actually since it is not known what's highest or lowest speed DDR3 RAM the X58 chipset will support. But note that 2GB of DDR3 1066, DDR3 1600, an DDR3 2000 RAM costs around ~$75, ~$120 and $200 respectively these days.

So adding up everything together, that's about $600 for the mobo, RAM and CPU. But that's just the best-case scenario. Worst case scenario: Maybe $700 to $800 for the mobo, RAM and CPU.

Hmmm ok well that seems like a pretty good estimate. If its around 700~ i can get myself a 4870x2 or a GTx280 and some other nice stuff.
 
The real question is will the mid level chip @2.97ghz be worth the extra 300 or so they will be going for over the 2.66. That's a dillema I will face when going down this road.
 
I was thinking about upgrading my computer but then thought about the new cpus coming around the corner. I finally got a very decent paying job and saved up plenty this time so I want to spend no more than say 1.75k on a new comp. I want to know say what are the projected price on the core i7 and the motherboards? If they are too expensive I might just have to buy a q6600 and ride it out. Would be nice to know so I can make an informed decision.

To recap Q6600 now or Core i7 in the upcoming months. (My comp is really crapping right now for certain things so I cant really wait with out upgrading)

Why don't you just get a Q6600 now for your current setup, OC it a bit, and run that until i7 is readily available and the initial kinks are sorted out? Even then, the Q6600 will still retain a good amount of the price you pay for it so you could likely sell it for ~100$. If you pkan to jump on i7 right on launch, its going to cost you more in a price premium than the cost of a Q6600. Normally a few months after a new CPU/chipset launch is when some of the best values can be had, plus you would be getting more mature motherboard designs and BIOSes that can make a big different. Do not forget thats its triple channel RAM too, so its probably going to take a bit for RAM that comes in 3x sticks to a package to be a good value as well.
 
Figure 1300 for CPU/mobo/3x2GB (PC3-1333)/GPU (X2 or GTX280). Thatd leave you 450 for the PSU (130), drives (80), case (120), cooling (50). Onboard sound, NIC would be plenty. Certainly possible to build well for 1750.

Pump the base clock to 166 (3.32Ghz) or more instead of 133 and you have far more than enough to last for a very long time.
 
Back
Top