how much watt does gtx 470 or ati 5850 use compare to 8800gts 512 mb? thinking about

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
I am thinking about upgrade to either ati 5850 or gtx 470 without having to upgrade to another powersupply again

I have a 600watt Roswell p/s that is holding up after almost 3 years
with my comp with 8800gts 512mb

my computer setup is the following

intel quad 3.0ghz
6gb memory
creative xi gamer
about 8tbs running on powered usb hub
16x dvd burner
1 tb internal

You'll have a bit more luck with the 5850, versus the 470. It really depends on just how close that Rosewill can deliver to its 600 watt rating. Several benchmarks have put the 470 at about an 80 watt higher usage than a 5850.

wow really? 80 watts more than 5850? I was thinking about 470 a lot because I have not went to ati since x1800xt.. and I always like the images of nvidia more.. I guess I can go to 5850 ati again heard a lot of great things on it

Last edited:
A good quality 600W PSU will handle any single-GPU video card just fine.

Rosewill PSUs are not good quality. They are crap. It might not blow up if you run a GTX 470 on it.

*sigh*

I guess I'll buy another antec then if I go 470
is a 470 performance close to a 5870? and is it worth the 50 dollars more than 5850?

if I settle for a 5850 do I need another p/w?

*sigh*

is a 470 performance close to a 5870? and is it worth the 50 dollars more than 5850?

The 5850 is on par performance wise with the 470. And its $50 cheaper then the 470.

wow really? 80 watts less than 5850? I was thinking about 470 a lot because I have not went to ati since x1800xt.. and I always like the images of nvidia more.. I guess I can go to 5850 ati again heard a lot of great things on it
No he's saying that the GTX 470 uses 80W MORE than the HD 5850. Read that line again.
*sigh*

Regardless of what PSU you go with, it's a smart idea to ditch that Rosewill, There are very few Rosewill PSUs out there remotely capable of providing their rated or even 70% of their rated power. So it's highly recommended and smart to replace the Rosewill PSU.

The GTX 470 is worth the extra $50 if you are part of Folding@Home, use an app that uses CUDA extensively, or hate/dislike ATI.

No he's saying that the GTX 470 uses 80W MORE than the HD 5850. Read that line again.

Regardless of what PSU you go with, it's a smart idea to ditch that Rosewill, There are very few Rosewill PSUs out there remotely capable of providing their rated or even 70% of their rated power. So it's highly recommended and smart to replace the Rosewill PSU.

The GTX 470 is worth the extra $50 if you are part of Folding@Home, use an app that uses CUDA extensively, or hate/dislike ATI.

thanks man will ditch that rosewell whenever I can if I get the 470
but do you think the 5850 can replace the 8800gts 512mb in my computer without having to upgrade the pw

but do you think the 5850 can replace the 8800gts 512mb in my computer without having to upgrade the pw

If it was a quality 600W PSU, yes. But I would not trust the HD 5850 with the low quality Rosewill 600W. Like I said earlier, regardless of what video card you go with, you're gonna need a newer and higher quality PSU. A replacement PSU doesn't cost that much:
$65 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

8800gts 512mb pulls around 150w. i cant imagine a 5850 pulling much more than that. i think the op would be fine with his current psu if he doesnt have any issues with it at the moment.

5850 also uses less power than ATIs last generation 4870/4890.

If it was a quality 600W PSU, yes. But I would not trust the HD 5850 with the low quality Rosewill 600W. Like I said earlier, regardless of what video card you go with, you're gonna need a newer and higher quality PSU. A replacement PSU doesn't cost that much:
$65 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

I agree with this in its entirety. You dont need a higher wattage PSU, you just need a better wattage PSU. A 500 or 600W unit would have no trouble powering a 5850 and 470 respectively.

The earthwatts are so popular on these boards because they adhere to the specs put to them (ATX12V 2.3), no better, no worse, and they typically maintain an efficiency higher than 80%. Keep in mind though that a unit that's 5% more efficient than that will pay off an $80 delta in initial price after about 7 years, so it really can be worth it to go with the monster efficiency PSUs --those PSUs also typically come with better line regulation (longer lasting components).

Someone tell me if I'm wrong?
Code:
cost per KWh: $0.10
assume load is say.... 	400W AC avg... on the 80% one...
load is	then		375W AC avg on 85% PSU
delta is 25W
25W * 12hrs/day = 0.3kWh/day
0.3KWh/day * $.10/KWh = $0.03/day
$80/ (0.03$/day) = 2666 days = 7.3 years

And yeah even at its inflated price (read: above MSRP) the HD 5850 still a better buy than the GTX 470 if not for eyefinity then for performance/dollar, and if not for performance/dollar then for performance/watt where watts are directly proportional to dollars...

thanks will do and get a better psu regardless which route I will take either 470 or 5850

since I am going to get a new psu anyways and I don't want to upgrade again for another 2-3 years and I upgrade my video card about now every 2 years vs. when I used to upgrade every year what do you think a suitable psu would be? 1000watt? antec?

I recommend this PSU:
$120 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU

If you want to go stupid overkill:
$150 - Corsair 950TX 950W PSU

Unless you're SLI/CFing flashship cards, you won't need anything higher than a 600W unit. NVIDIA's new cards are incredibly power inefficient, but anything other than that will run fine, even in CrossFire, on a 600W unit.

cool cool
thanks for the info
I guess I can hold back on the psu for now and go for the ati either 5850 or 5830 family with the rosewill 600 watt it is holding up nicely for the moment... :eek:

5830 for the moment is about 200 after rebates

5850 I was able to get it for about 220 after rebates and cashback on cc few days ago but I kept changing my mind because I wanted the 470 for about 50 dollars more bad mistakes I have been looking at the newest reviews 470 is getting overshadowed by 5850 still even with the newest drivers oh wells should've took the shot for 5850 too late now!

Unless you're SLI/CFing flashship cards, you won't need anything higher than a 600W unit. NVIDIA's new cards are incredibly power inefficient, but anything other than that will run fine, even in CrossFire, on a 600W unit.

I guess I can hold back on the psu for now and go for the ati either 5850 or 5830 family with the rosewill 600 watt it is holding up nicely for the moment... :eek:

What Mr. K6 fails to remember is that the OP has a CRAPPY 600W PSU. Regardless of whether or not the video card is super efficient, a crappy 600W PSU is not sufficient for the newer cards out there.

Ok, lets get some specifics: More than likely, the OP has this Rosewill 600W PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

1) Costs $55. First red flag considering that most quality 600W PSUs are around $70+.
2) Note how much amperage there is on the +12V rail: only 35A. Second red flag considering that most 600W PSUs have 48A to 50A on the +12V rail.
3) No APFC. Third red flag as most new and quality PSUs have APFC. The lack of APFC here on the Rosewill clearly shows it being an old and outdated PSU design.
4) The manufacturer of that PSU is ATNG as shown by the UL number. Considering the price, lack of APFC, amperage capability, it's based off of ATNG's old PSUs designs that were barely capable of 300W of power.
5) Age of the PSU: The OP has had the PSU for three years now. Considering that it was already an old PSU three years ago, by now, there's a very good chance that the PSU is not capable of the 35A on the +12V rail if it ever was capable of doing so.

So basically, Mr. K6 is correct with his statement but that only applies to QUALITY PSUs. Considering that the Rosewill is CRAPPY PSU, that statement does not apply. You still need a new PSU no matter what. As shown above, a new PSU will only cost you $65.

I think the point Danny is trying to get across is this:
There is no way that rosewill power supply will actually provide anything over 300W without releasing the magical blue smoke. Most cheaper power supply manufacturers are rather...optimistic when they label their products, usually overestimating their power output by up to 100%.

And since it is an old design, it will probably take the rest of the components with it when it goes. Even if he is not adding load compared to his current setup, the power supply could go any day now, making the $65 investment trivial compared to the cost of a new computer.

Well will do a package deal type of upgrades then regardless my next video upgrade I will get a top psu companies that you guys have suggested and go with either 470 or 5850 look at the comments that were posted scared me a bit about my current crappy rosewell psu. On the side note dropped by best buy today and saw 465 for $330 which I read got destroyed by a 5830 which is about ~$200 and somehow a gtx 295 which I have never heard of before for $500 wow. Shocking.

any 600W even shitty one can handle 5850 without a single issue, unless you have some kind of PSU that does 40% efficiency, which is impossible to find these days.

was my post tl;dr? A difference of 5% translates into a small but substantial chunk of change per year.

Also some power Co`s are aggro about APFC: some will charge you for
inductive loads, some wont, but either way it pisses them off. most passive PFC units sit at "70%" (which is a phasor, so 70% doesn't make alot of sense but if you picture a sine wave where you want to be at the flat top part, 70% is well on its way down the left slope), and combine with a 70% efficiency you've got yourself a pretty ugly package which is on the order of 50% efficient to-the-true-wave.

Well will do a package deal type of upgrades then regardless my next video upgrade I will get a top psu companies that you guys have suggested and go with either 470 or 5850 look at the comments that were posted scared me a bit about my current crappy rosewell psu.On the side note dropped by best buy today and saw 465 for $330 which I read got destroyed by a 5830 which is about ~$200 and somehow a gtx 295 which I have never heard of before for $500 wow. Shocking.

hah, The Best Buy in my neighbourhood is still selling Geforce 7 series stuff.

The problem is TSMC is leaking on 40nm and when Nvidia has to push a current as far as they do... leaks spring up everywhere, which translates into excess heat and power consumption. When the fab plant is having trouble at a specific transistor density, the name of the game becomes small dies. ATIs RV870 is big, but its not unmanageable. Nvidias GT300 (or w/e its called) holds the world record for largest consumer-grade chip.

anyways, the GTX 295 is basically two GTX 260s in SLI in a single package. IIRC you install it just like its an SLI configuration, either way those dual chip packages are aimed at the people who have too much money, which is why, even today, they cost $500. Definatly right now an HD5k based product is by far the most elegant solution, but it isn't flawless, and AMD is releasing a silicon respin (which may or may not be branded the HD6k series, but will by no means outperform the current cards by significant margine, they'll just be more efficient) for the x-mas season.

Last edited:
any 600W even shitty one can handle 5850 without a single issue, unless you have some kind of PSU that does 40% efficiency, which is impossible to find these days.

Yes, THESE DAYS. But the model being referred to appears to have been designed over 3 years ago and isn't known to be a high quality brand. :)

I'd also recommend a new PSU whether or not you pick ATI or Nvidia. I've used both video card brands and honestly just get the one you like. I'd say that the 400 series is about 10-15% faster than the 5000 series in most cases, yes sometimes ATI wins, but Nvidia does have a slight overall performance edge.

I'd recommend something like the Seasonic M12 620W'
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&cm_re=seasonic_620w-_-17-151-095-_-Product

Corsair, Silverstone, Enermax, PCP&C etc. also tend to make good power supply units. So shop around.

You can also get the Antec Earthwatts 650 on sale 10% off now at Newegg plus it has an MIR on top of that!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=antec_earthwatts-_-17-371-015-_-Product

Yes, THESE DAYS. But the model being referred to appears to have been designed over 3 years ago and isn't known to be a high quality brand. :)

I'd also recommend a new PSU whether or not you pick ATI or Nvidia. I've used both video card brands and honestly just get the one you like. I'd say that the 400 series is about 10-15% faster than the 5000 series in most cases, yes sometimes ATI wins, but Nvidia does have a slight overall performance edge.

I'd recommend something like the Seasonic M12 620W'
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&cm_re=seasonic_620w-_-17-151-095-_-Product

Corsair, Silverstone, Enermax, PCP&C etc. also tend to make good power supply units. So shop around.

You can also get the Antec Earthwatts 650 on sale 10% off now at Newegg plus it has an MIR on top of that!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=antec_earthwatts-_-17-371-015-_-Product

thanks and thanks everyone.

Back