Votes: 14 12.7%
  • 8 RAMS

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • 16 or moar RAMS

Votes: 26 23.6%

• Total voters

daemonmf

Limp Gawd
I was doing some Microsoft education stuff running three VMs inside VMware and my aging socket 939 Win7 system with 2GB RAM slowed to a crawl. This got me curious as to how many RAMS is everyone else running nowadays. 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 16 or moar GB?

8... I run 3 VMs currently, 2 are given 1GB, 1 is 2GB, system keeps 4. No problems in terms of speed. All done on a Q6600 w/ DDR2 800. I actually use the system as a gaming rig with the VMs running and none of them become unresponsive to the other users of them. I was running 1 with 2GB when I only had 4GB ram in the system and it still posed no issue. IT all depends on the kind of OS your running in the VM and the ram you allocate, not to mention what your doing in the VMs and the CPUs speed as well... But 3 VMs on 2GB ram through any 939 system is pretty well asking for trouble.

I have 3 dimms in my i7 system. And 4 dimms in my core2 system. Both having 6GB of RAM. For VMs 6GB is a little small.

Which machines should I base my vote on? the machines I have at home are all in the 1-2GB range. The machines in my office on the other hand range from 1GB (linux server) through 8GB (desktop) to 48GB (simulation box).

6 GB in my main machines, 4 GB in all the others. When 4 GB sticks are more reasonablyt priced, I'll probably do some upgrading. :)

I RAMS at least 3 times a week. Though on Sunday I like to RAMS once in the morning and once in the evening.

More RAMS the better I say.

edit: 16 or moar RAMS ? Is in a week or month? Hopefully not in a day as I suspect that would lead to less RAMS and more DRY SHAFTS.

I have 8 Gb but still sometimes Photoshop likes to eat a lot of it. Most I have seen it using was about 6 Gb.

Currently have 4gb (four 1gb sticks), but upgrading to 8gb (two 4gb sticks) for my next build.

8 on my ESXi server (eventually going to 48 RAMS)
8 on my ESXi server2 (eventually going to 16 RAMS)
8 on my Hackintosh
4 on my D630
4 on my 1201N

20GB over 4 computers.

Fileserver is 2x1GB
Current desktop is 4x2GB
Next gaming desktop is 2x2GB (8 if/when RAM gets cheap)
Laptop is 1x2+1x4 (2x4GB if/when RAM gets cheap)

And I really, REALLY hope English is not your native language.

I have 8 because I had 4 and newegg had 4gb for $30 after rebate and starcraft 2 takes almost 2gb by itself so for $30 bucks I thought why not get more.

I have 12GB.

BTW, It's RAM as in Random Access Memory, where did you get "RAMS" from? Just because you have more than one stick of RAM does not make the acronym plural.

Last edited:
I have 8gb in mine (2 x 4gb sticks) so I still have two slots open for another set of 8gb but 16gb seems a touch excessive and might kill my OC potential.

Though Newegg is having a sale with 15% off ALL RAMS right now so means it would be $75-ish for 8gb more of DDR3...

8 in vm server 1 (see sig)
8 in vm server 2 (see sig)
4 in zfs fileserver (32-bit only -- lots of kernel tuning needed see sig)
4 in mailserver (zimbra, maxed)
8 in desktop 1 (see sig)
16 in desktop 2 (see sig)
2 in netbook (maxed out)
8 in fileserver that I"m building.....(E8400 recycle with 13 hot-swap bays in 3U & 3 redundant power! maxed out)

I have 3 dimms in my i7 system. And 4 dimms in my core2 system. Both having 6GB of RAM. For VMs 6GB is a little small.

For less than $130 (newegg 15% off sale) I added 12GB of GSkill Ripjaws to the i7 system so now I have 18 GB. I have not ran VMs yet..

Just ordered another set of 2x4GB cuz of the 15% off deal @ newegg. Gonna be running 16GB!

Most likely won't be NEEDING it, but for $90, why not? Also can be used in Sandy Bridge as well so it's not a waste when I upgrade.

Laptop (Win7 x64) - 4GB (no different for normal use than 2GB was, but I can now allocate 2GB to my VMs comfortable instead of trying to struggle with 512MB-1GB)

Wife's laptop (Win7 x64) - 4GB.. not really any noticeable improvement over the 2GB it came with for what she does, but upgrading to that and a dual-core T4300 (from the single-core Celeron) sure made the WEI scores jump.

Old ESX 3.5i - 8GB.. was comfortably able to run WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu server, firewall, etc. Far better than running it with 1GB.. that was horrible.

New ESX 4.1 - 12GB (will be 16GB as soon as I get my second 2x4GB from Newegg). I really have not done much with this but plan on having something I can do quite a bit of testing with for a while.

HTPC (Win7 x64) - 4GB (may be 8GB once the memory arrives to replace the 2GB sticks in the ESX machine). Hasn't flinched at all with basic video/music playing obviously. Will be used for some light/moderate gaming as soon as I get everything set how I want it.

Router/firewall - 1GB (flash-based install of IPCOP caches into RAM). This will probably be getting virtualized once I get the new ESX machine tweaked a bit more.

8 RAMS in desktop
8 RAMS in each of my 2 laptops
16 RAMS in fileserver
16 RAMS at work
4 RAMS in HTPC
~32 RAMS lying around

I like RAMS!

I used to live on a farm with rams. Fuckers used to run after me.

Going to upgrade to 8GB this week. I will see how 8GB will fare compared to 4GB in win 7 64 bit

4GB currently. Soon to be 8GB with another RipJaw series thrown in.
Lucked out with some laptop RAM recently and maxed my laptop out to 4GB recently.

Back