• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much longer?

Turbosound

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 10, 2011
Messages
178
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Dell 30" which is 16/10, IPS@2560x1600 and have been waiting close to 5 years for the display I want to be released, and still don't see it happening any time soon. I feel that for my application, I need to increase the size of my display to the 40" range with a maximum of the display being, phyicaly 44" wide.

The display I've been waiting for is a 46ish" 16/9, IPS@2560x1440 with a displayport connection (no speakers, thin besel) hoping that NEC would relaese one. At this point, I would even go for a IPS@1920x1080.

The display will be used for multible applications from a PC, such as gaming, audio/video playback, and audio/image editing with viewing distances of 3.5'-8.5' at different angles.

Any suggestions/recommenditions? Thanks.
 
What is 4:4:4 and is there a IPS, HDTV with displayport, without speakers? Everytime I look at the specs for HDTV's the panel type isn't even there.

Maybe, what I should of asked, is how much worse is a SPVA (P-DID) image/video quality compared to an IPS? I'm looking at the NEC X461S-AVT/X462S-AVT (TV tuner) and the X461S/X462S. I don't mind giving NEC a call again and ask when they will release a 46" IPS display, but I don't think they even know. Does anyone have an idea? I just don't want to buy a SPVA if a IPS is out there or will be in the near future. From what I have read vertical alignment has color and angle viewing issues. Then again, I don't mind purchasing a VA if the quality isn't too poor and an IPS won't be available any time soon. 16/9 Displayport without speakers along with a minimum of 1920x1080 is a must. Please don't hassel me with the displayport, I have nothing againest DVI and understand the quality would be the same, just perfer to use the Displayport. Thanks.
 
46" is TV territory. So you'll probably get speakers and an HDMI connection. Also, you probably won't get 2560x1440 because there is no source material that is traditionally viewed on a TV at that resolution.

You shouldn't be super surprised about any of this. The forum isn't exactly filled with people wanting 46" QHD computer monitors. Those who do want something comparable go out and buy TVs.
 
Well it looks like I will go with a NEC-X462S. Does anyone one know of a 46-47" display/HDTV that would out perform this, excluding weatherized and touch screen? I just want to ask before I make the purchase. Thanks for all your help.
 
Well it looks like I will go with a NEC-X462S. Does anyone one know of a 46-47" display/HDTV that would out perform this, excluding weatherized and touch screen? I just want to ask before I make the purchase. Thanks for all your help.

Why go to a larger screen that is lower resolution?

How about:

50 inch, 3840x2160 resolution?

I would go with what I use as my monitor a Seiki SE50UY04. It can be had right now for under $1000 USD.

Its almost as good colors/viewing angles as IPS (its S-MVA) and much better contrast and great response time. Not the best scaler but almost no input lag (1 frame) and can do 1920x1080@120Hz.

Granted 30Hz at 3840x2160 is not great but its honestly fine for video and desktop work (I bump down to 1920x1080 to play games).

Not only that but its cheaper than the display your looking at.

The other promising display is the ASUS 39 inch which is 3840x2160 and does 60Hz likely under $1000. A bit smaller than you r looking for though and its still a ways out. It can do 60Hz though which is the advantage over the seiki.
 
You want a 16:9 display. And you can't find one. The entire industry has moved to 16:9 to save money and rip off consumers.

Don't even know what to say.
 
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Dell 30" which is 16/10, IPS@2560x1600 and have been waiting close to 5 years for the display I want to be released, and still don't see it happening any time soon. I feel that for my application, I need to increase the size of my display to the 40" range with a maximum of the display being, phyicaly 44" wide.

The display I've been waiting for is a 46ish" 16/9, IPS@2560x1440 with a displayport connection (no speakers, thin besel) hoping that NEC would relaese one. At this point, I would even go for a IPS@1920x1080.

The display will be used for multible applications from a PC, such as gaming, audio/video playback, and audio/image editing with viewing distances of 3.5'-8.5' at different angles.

Any suggestions/recommenditions? Thanks.

I was in a similar situation...I'd wanted something better than my U3011 for 2 years because I need the screen real estate. I got a Seiki 50" 4k2k and sold the U3011. No regrets whatsoever. Best monitor decision I've made in years...and I've logged over 300 hours gaming on it too, with zero complaints.
 
I was in a similar situation...I'd wanted something better than my U3011 for 2 years because I need the screen real estate. I got a Seiki 50" 4k2k and sold the U3011. No regrets whatsoever. Best monitor decision I've made in years...and I've logged over 300 hours gaming on it too, with zero complaints.

low refresh rate doesn't bother you in games? 30 seems too low..
 
low refresh rate doesn't bother you in games? 30 seems too low..

Maybe he is doing what I am doing and running games at 1920x1080@120Hz? I also have no regrets. I went from a Dell 3007 WFP to a Catleap Q270 (for increased refresh rate) to the seiki 50 inch and I have no regrets either. Its awesome as a computer monitor. I get all the screen real-estate i need for my day-to-day stuff and I can still run games at high refresh (I just have to lose a bit of resolution in them).

Sure 120Hz at 4k would be awesome but honestly for the first person shooters I play even if it did 60Hz @ 4k I would probably still bump the resolution down to get 120Hz on first person shooters. I seriously doubt we will be seeing 120Hz 4k anytime remotely soon.
 
low refresh rate doesn't bother you in games? 30 seems too low..

You would think having a 30Hz refresh at 4k2k res would suck, right?

I thought so too (before using one, that is) but I haven't played a single game yet where a 30Hz refresh rate caused me problems.

I don't use VSYNC, and I do not see screen tearing on this panel. I know it's there somewhere...

It has to be. But I don't see it. (or see enough of it for it to really register in my brain as a problem)

Best purchase I made in years is how I view that Seiki
 
Last edited:
You would think having a 30Hz refresh at 4k2k res would suck, right?

I thought so too but I haven't played a single game yet where a 30Hz refresh rate caused me problems.

Or not! I must say there are quite a few games where 30hz wouldn't bother me but 30hz is unplayable for me on first person shooters. Hell 60hz is barely livable now that I am used to 100Hz +.

To me its worth dropping my Seiki down to 1080p to get the 120Hz for first person shooters.
 
Or not! I must say there are quite a few games where 30hz wouldn't bother me but 30hz is unplayable for me on first person shooters. Hell 60hz is barely livable now that I am used to 100Hz +.

To me its worth dropping my Seiki down to 1080p to get the 120Hz for first person shooters.

I think it's a person by person basis. Some people can really see the difference between the refresh rates and some cannot.

I have a friend who was that way with CRTs. He couldn't use anything less than 75Hz or he'd get eye strain and headaches. I could use 60Hz all day long...but I have always been more sensitive to dot pitch of the old CRTs. I rarely spent more than an hour on a computer before CRTs started using a .25 dot pitch.

At the time .27 (mainstream at the time) was "tolerable" for an hour or so while .31 was excruciating to use for more than 5 minutes
 
I think it's a person by person basis. Some people can really see the difference between the refresh rates and some cannot.

I have a friend who was that way with CRTs. He couldn't use anything less than 75Hz or he'd get eye strain and headaches. I could use 60Hz all day long...but I have always been more sensitive to dot pitch of the old CRTs. I rarely spent more than an hour on a computer before CRTs started using a .25 dot pitch.

At the time .27 (mainstream at the time) was "tolerable" for an hour or so while .31 was excruciating to use for more than 5 minutes

Yeah I guess I am sensitive to both. I didn't upgrade from an LCD until the dell 3007WFP came out and got one in 2006. Before that I used a Viewsonic P225F CRT which was a .24 dot pitch.

I could always see the flicker at 60Hz ( I know others who couldn't) but it never actually bothered me all that much where as most people I knew that could see it bothered them. I am amazed 30 hz wouldnt bug you though =P
 
Yeah I guess I am sensitive to both. I didn't upgrade from an LCD until the dell 3007WFP came out and got one in 2006. Before that I used a Viewsonic P225F CRT which was a .24 dot pitch.

I could always see the flicker at 60Hz ( I know others who couldn't) but it never actually bothered me all that much where as most people I knew that could see it bothered them. I am amazed 30 hz wouldnt bug you though =P

My only (first world) problem with the Seiki is that I sometimes lose track of my mouse cursor, lol.
 
One issue that I've noticed with the 30Hz on my 4k Seika is cursors blinking. Try this: open up Notepad, type in a bunch of random text (say 100 characters), then use the left-arrow to move the cursor back to the beginning of the line. It disappears! Magic!

The same behavior is apparent on other text editors, such as gvim. It is just ever so slightly annoying.

Other than this issue, the panel is awesome.
 
My only (first world) problem with the Seiki is that I sometimes lose track of my mouse cursor, lol.

In both windows and mac allow you to make the cursor bigger. I use it on my 2560x1440 panel. It helps out a lot.
 
I'm in the same boat, I'm going to wait a few months. I think the 39" 4K TV's (Seiki/Asus) will be the ticket. 50" _might_ be a bit too big for my computer desk, 39"@4K would be sweeet, especially if they manage 60Hz.
 
Back
Top