• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much is this worth?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Guest
Someone locally is selling this computer:

  • BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready
  • G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK
  • Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
  • PNY GeForce 9600 GSO (x2)
  • eVGA 7600GT
  • Cheap TV Tuner Card (Don't remember what it is, never really used it, but it's in the computer)
  • Thermaltake Pure Power 680W

They are asking $800 for it, but it seems kind of high. Especially since it doesn't include a hard drive. Basically I want to upgrade my current system, but really don't have the funds to buy new right now. (See sig for details on the custom desktop)

I want to know if that setup, with my video card (the 9800GX2) will be better than my current setup and if so, worth spending $800 to get it?
 
I don't think I'd pay $800. I'd consider it at $600-650.
 
I don't think $800 is high, I think that's a good price - that hinges on how used this stuff is. Building a computer to those specs with brand new parts would cost more than $800 imo. Then again, having three video cards of two different types is not something I would do anyway.
 
IMO, $800 is just too high for that setup. You're gonna have to spend money to replace that PSU first of all. Thermaltake's Pure Power PSU line is just plain crap. It would not be a intelligent idea to use that crap PSU with your 9800GX2. So that's an additional $100 to $130 right there for a new PSU.

Plus there's the issue that you would basically have little to no warranty on most of those parts since they're bought second-hand. Well maybe not the RAM.

Also note this: for gaming you can build a very good setup for around $800
$360 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
$140 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$40 - Thermalright Cogage TRUE Spirit HSF
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
----
Total: $770 plus tax and shipping.

The only thing missing are those three video cards and some cheap tuner. But altogether, those video cards aren't worth that much. Probably $75 max for all three. Since you're not gonna use those cards anyway, no point in worrying about them. Same goes for the TV Tuner.

So for $770, you can get a brand new PC with an actual clear cut warranty, similar gaming performance as that i7, and 2GB more RAM. You also get a significantly better quality PSU and better quality motherboard. Also, remember what I said earlier about that local PC needing a new PSU? So compared to the above setup I just posted, that's a savings of $130 to $160 right there. And you don't have to stick with that case if you don't want to. There are cheaper and decent quality cases out there.

So basically, yes, $800 is just too much for that local PC.

Also didn't you just buy a PC and showcased it earlier today? Or was that for someone else?
 
Thanks for your input Danny. That other PC was put together for someone else, I wish I had the money to build one myself.
 
I don't think $800 is high, I think that's a good price - that hinges on how used this stuff is. Building a computer to those specs with brand new parts would cost more than $800 imo. Then again, having three video cards of two different types is not something I would do anyway.

I agree also. $800 for all of that is reasonable actually. The case, ram, mobo and cpu would pretty much come close to $800 already if this was purchased new. But, it's just the other parts you don't care about though. The video cards and psu is not something you would want to reuse.
 
Well I talked the guy down to $600 for all of it. I wonder how much I could sell the PSU and graphics cards for.
 
7600GT - $20-ish (shipped)
9600GSO - $35-ish (shipped)
PSU - $50-ish (shipped)

At $600, I'd go for it assuming it all works.
 
Well I talked the guy down to $600 for all of it. I wonder how much I could sell the PSU and graphics cards for.

Not too bad. Buy it if the lack of warranty doesn't bother you at all or if the guy is providing reciepts for all the hardware or help with the warranty.

If you're selling the PSU and GPUs to a person who knows his hardware, probably $110 for the PSU and all three graphics cards:
$20 for the 7600GT
$80 for both 9600GSO cards
$10 for the PSU. It's a five year old PSU that was crap five years ago when it was released. Even worse now considering that PSUs do degrade over time. Selling it any higher than $10 is just a douche move IMO
 
Well the warranty part doesn't really scare me too much, but I will be sure to ask him if he'll help me out with the warranty. Basically I just want the core of the system (mobo, ram, cpu) and I'll just sell everything else including the case and tv tuner card.

I'd most likely just toss them up on ebay, so they can sell for whatever someone is willing to spend on them. I think that way should the price be higher than what it might be worth, it'd be a little less "douchey" (yes I made that word up)

So hypothetically, ~$500 for the system would be a nice buy?

Not to mention I can sell my Biostar 550, Brisbane and RAM in my current system.
 
If you just want CPU, Mobo, and RAM, just buy it new and don't bother with the hassle of selling.
 
Back
Top