How much faster will it get if I buy a 2nd vertex 4 256gb ssd for raid 0?

I've tried RAID0 on several different SSDs and never found any noticeable difference, only benchmarks are better not real use. Using a second SSD as a Photoshop/Premier scratch disk I find useful. Before SSDs I ran a pair of Raptors in RAID0 and found that faster, just not so with SSDs.

how do you guys explain the benchmarks? and for your information guys, a pcix card is nothing but 2 raided 0 ssds working together so you know.

Benchmarks are exactly that: Benchmarks. They don't always indicate real world performance. I.e 3DMark scores aren't an exact indicator of just how fast a card really is.

how do you guys explain the benchmarks? and for your information guys, a pcix card is nothing but 2 raided 0 ssds working together so you know.

Well you could take it a step further if you're playing that game and say every SSD is RAID0 based off how NAND memory and SSD controller's work.

You're not going to notice much of a difference like you will having moved from HDD to SSD or HDD > HDD RAID0. The access times will most likely hardly change, nor will they be relevant. The only thing you'll see a big gain from is data transfer and that's only if you're transferring a ton of big files. Are you transferring files that take minutes to hours to finish where 400MBps write speed isn't cutting it?

That's the question you need to ask yourself.

The big reason is RAID 0 improves transfer rate for large sequential reads and writes + high queue depth reads and writes. Both of these are operations that are rare in desktop applications and a lot of games thus you will generally not notice any performance increase.

Last edited:
I had 2x120 in raid 0, 1 is so fast I just dont bother with raid on SSD, you can only see the differences in benches. I could not tell the difference at all.

i have 3 SSDs in my video editing/gaming rig

OS is on RAID 0 Array of Intel 520 240gb drives
Scratch Drive is a 126gb Intel 520gb

I see a 20-30% decrease in render times when i installed the OS and use the RAID 0 array to write to and read from the single drive.

it is a specific use case, but i definitely see a real world difference

After raiding my SSD's I can tell you there is no noticeable difference, although you've heard this a thousand times now. I DO however enjoy being able to manage just one drive with more space.

like i posted before, if you are rendering 3D or 1080p video you will notice a difference....

assuming you are not bottlenecked with CPU or GPU speeds.

Back