how much faster is the 9800gx2 compared to an ati 3870x2 ?

3870X2 haardly beat 8800gTX, let alone 9800GX2, but the only thing about the 3870X2 is that its better at 3dmark06

the 9800X2 might have faster FPS but my 3870X2 feels smoother, IMHO

after you see all those benchmarks, you kind conclude that the 9800gx2 still has lot of "ground" to go until it really smokes everything we have until now. guess i'll wait for the 9900.

thankyou Atech, i have been studying for exams, so i chose not to respond to that until now...

bangmal, i suggest you calm down mate i read reviews regularly, i might not have read the very latest, but as i said, i have been studying...

yeah, The 9800GX2 is far superior in performance, and, to be blunt, thats about it.

The HD3870X2, in my eyes, is significantly more elegant than the 9800GX2. Consumes less power at idle, which is where I spend most of my time, and at load, even while consuming that extra 20Watts it runs much cooler/quieter. The HD3870X2 also is able to support both its monitors while running its internal Crossfire mode, the 9800GX2 is not. Some versions of the HD3870X2 also conatain four DVI-D ports, although, in crossfire mode, only two can be used I believe. Still, If you want to run 8 monitors, Two HD3870X2s is the way to go. But then who drives 8 monitors :confused:

If your considering buying either, wait. June 16 we see the HD4800 series (codenamed the RV770) and June 18 we see the "GTX200" series (previously the 9900s and codenamed the GT200).

Note enough to upgrade I think, or enough to justify the nearly 150 to 200 dollars more for the 9800GX2. but by all the reviews it quite a bit especially given ATI weak spots. the fanboys argue but unless you really need AA at high resolutions I don't see it being that big of a deal. But the 9800GX2 is clearly the winner here. but at 500 to 600 dollars I just can't see it being worth it, you can SLI other cards and do the same for much less.

That is utterly bullshit, get your head out of your anal and read more reviews

You should take your own advice. ;)

There are many other sites that have accepted that real-world gameplay is the best way to assert a certain graphics card performance.

[H] was the first, but Bit-tech and Tech-Report have followed.

PC Perspective also do good comparisions using gameplay runthroughs, don't forget about them.

Back