How much does Fiber Optic connection cost?

this depends on many things that you have not told us yet

location(world, country, town)
ISP's that will run the fiber for you, or the existence of a fiber line already
do you have any of the necessary equipment (router?) or will the ISP have to provide it all?

you could be looking at something that is rather affordable, perhaps 1000$ or less, to 7-10k$ in a small town area, if fiber is even available.

you don't need fiber. 99% of the people don't. You want it, but it would probably cost too much. Just wait a few years, save your money for when we actually harness the power of light.

Which Ones said:
I want to know:

How much does Fiber Optic connection cost?

Thanks.

Which Ones said:
loction is San Francisco, CA USA

uhm...ok dude. What the f**k are you doing with it????????
Why do you want it? What services are you going to be running over it? Will the be a public network? WAN from office to office? Or are you just wanting something to play with at home so that you can see what fibre optic is all about?????

Damn man... :mad:

Well, verizon has begun running its fiber lines and if I remember the prices corectly, it can range anywhere from about $40/mnth - $100/mnth in the cities where the service is avaliable.

I live in Sacramento and have fiber service from surewest 10mbps up/down, its only 50 bucks a month.. I use it for work and hosting my game servers, and just for general fragging ;)

fiber is just a transport medium, guys.

just cause you have "fiber" doesn't mean yer going faster than your current cable connection. unless you pickd up a sonet connection >_> <_<

SYN ACK said:
fiber is just a transport medium, guys.

just cause you have "fiber" doesn't mean yer going faster than your current cable connection. unless you pickd up a sonet connection >_> <_<

But it's fiber..it must be faster becuz it is at the speed of light. :rolleyes:

Yes, I realize that your post is a joke, but for fun, I'll reply. :)

Assuming linear scaling, the cost of a T1 (1.544Mbit of bandwidth) is anywhere from $800 to $1500 per month, depending on where you live.

An OC-192 is 9953.28Mbit, so that would cost anywhere from $5,157,139.90 to $9,669,637.31

Either way, a lot of money :D

Dawizman said:
Well, verizon has begun running its fiber lines and if I remember the prices corectly, it can range anywhere from about $40/mnth - $100/mnth in the cities where the service is avaliable.

the reason why it cost very little is because the fca or some other three letter acronim(sp) limits how much you can charge a resudentual costmer

bussness is another story

But it's fiber..it must be faster becuz it is at the speed of light.

ethernet is 2/3 the speed of light

so unless your transfering something faster then 2/3 the speed of light then you wont know the diff

wouldn't you need to get a gigabit ethernet network set up as well?

fazzman said:
I live in Sacramento and have fiber service from surewest 10mbps up/down, its only 50 bucks a month.. I use it for work and hosting my game servers, and just for general fragging ;)

where you live?

I can't find the fiber service in www.surewest.com ??

is it fast? Currently I have one connection for SDSL for hosting my Servers, FTP, Mailserver, and other crap.

Is Fiber Service faster or T1?

draconius said:
your sdsl is not full duplex, so if you are uploading and downloading, your speeds are halved (if you have 1mbit sdsl...you max out at 512up and 512down simultaneously)
Incorrect. SDSL is full-duplex, as is ADSL and every other xDSL I know of.

draconius said:
how fast is your sdsl?

a T1 is 1.544Mbit/s full duplex (you can do a meg down and up simultaneously)

your sdsl is not full duplex, so if you are uploading and downloading, your speeds are halved (if you have 1mbit sdsl...you max out at 512up and 512down simultaneously)

Fiber services can come in many many different levels, from "true" OC level fiber serivces, to regular ethernet over fiber with speeds that are completely variable based on whatever your ISP wants.

i have 1.5mbit up and down!!

so..which one is faster?

a 1.54Mbps/1.54Mbps Sdls connection would be slower then a T1
not by much mind you but this is only because fiber operates at light speed

Vanskater said:

arite guys...so far i just ordered t1 for 399.99 dollars a month and by discount for 20%. I pay 12 month altogether payment..so..the t1 people is coming to my mouse 2 days from day and hook it up for me..

thanks for your posting..LATERz

Vanskater said:
WTF? 1.544Mbps === 1.544Mbps, period. I don't know what this "light speed" nonsense you're quoting is. Simply put, propagation speed (your "light speed" reference) has no direct bearing on data transmission rates.

Which Ones, go back to your SDSL and save yourself several grand. The only difference in that and the T1 is guaranteed uptime (T1 will be more reliable).

T1 will have lower ping times than a sdsl connection
in that sense it is faster

researching about the full vs half duplex
i want to go with half duplex
but just now i loaded my 1.5/768 connection using BT and i was able to grab 130k down and 70k up at the same time
which leads in the direction of full duplex

Vanskater said:
ethernet is 2/3 the speed of light

so unless your transfering something faster then 2/3 the speed of light then you wont know the diff

You obviously lost the sarcasm in there didn't you? :rolleyes:

Vanskater said:

Guys, seriously. What in the hell does speed of light have to do with anything.

Speed of light vs 2/3 speed of light over a mile or so is not .. um, NOTICIIABLE :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And many T1s comin in through fiber, but then are terminated at a demarc and are then copper to your csu/dsu. Some T1s still come in over copper from the CO.

So, OMG OMG my T1 comes in from the carrier in fiber but then since it goes to the demarc, and then is COPPER from the DEMARC TO MY ROUTER!

OMG IM TOTALLY GOING TO CALL THE PHONE COMPANY UP AND BITCH I AM LOOSING SO MUCH SPEED FROM THE COPPER CONNECTION TO MY ROUTER.

Wow :rolleyes:

You can argue a SDSL 1500kb/1500kb is the same speed as a T1, but it's not.

You should see better response times along with quality/stability out of a T1.

Not to mention you can break up a DS-1 into channels for extra configuration abilities.

Fiber is just a medium, guys.

Quick summary of recent points:

propagation (light vs electricity): wholly irrelevant. Otherwise, somebody better tell me that Fast Ethernet is slower than WiFi-G because it's going through copper, even though it's 100Mbps to 55Mbps.

ping time: T1s are *probably* lower ping than SDSL, but there's no guarantee of that. A potential consideration (though not for business), and certainly isn't the same as speed. Gaming is the only way it comes into play.

reliability: I concur, T1s will have better reliability. You'd better have a real good reason to justify ~tripling your connection costs, however.

split use: Yes, T1s can be broken down. Alternately, you can go VoIP and use any connection for multiple means. I also see no indication the OP is looking for this functionality, so let's call it a wash.

duplex: DSL is full-duplex; uplink and downlink occur in separate frequency bands. This is pretty easy to Google and confirm. Likewise, T1 is full-duplex. So is a POTS modem.

SDSL is synchronous, and thus, upload speeds do not effect download speeds.

ASSL is asynchronous, and thus, acts likes cable modem where if you are uploading something, it will effect your downstream.

Otherwise, yes, agreed

SYN ACK said:
SDSL is synchronous, and thus, upload speeds do not effect download speeds.

ASSL is asynchronous, and thus, acts likes cable modem where if you are uploading something, it will effect your downstream.

Otherwise, yes, agreed
No. S/A is symmetric / asymmetric. That is, upload == download or upload != download. They're both full duplex; both upload frequency bands are completely separate from download bands.

I didn't say it wasn't full duplex.

I'm saying, in a synchronous implementation, upstream is completely segregated and has no effect on downstream, and vice versa.

Not true with asynchronous DSL / cable modem

SYN ACK said:
I didn't say it wasn't full duplex.

I'm saying, in a synchronous implementation, upstream is completely segregated and has no effect on downstream, and vice versa.

Not true with asynchronous DSL / cable modem
wrong again. "A" in ADSL is "asymmetric" not "asynchronous"
DSL/ Cable have fully isolated upstream & downstream channels; therefore, full duplex. You are trying to refer to uplink saturation which results in slowdown at a higher (TCP) network layer and affects SDSL the same as ADSLthe same as any other connection.

Which Ones said:
where you live?

I can't find the fiber service in www.surewest.com ??

is it fast? Currently I have one connection for SDSL for hosting my Servers, FTP, Mailserver, and other crap.

Is Fiber Service faster or T1?

yeah its fast 10 mbps up and 10mbps down.

I think everyone pretty much covered nearly everything in this post lol.

Full Duplex means data can be transferred in both directions simultaneously and not be affected by each other.

I love it when people call in and they tell me they have the fiber connection, i nearly roll laughing. Little do they know we (ISP) don't even have a fiber connection. We have fiber to our demark then to high speed serial to our UBR router.

I think what people are trying to get at with the "speed of light'" thing is that, it can potentially carry data at the speed of light, however, we are only able to utilize it to 10gbps.

OT: I found online OC-192 (10gbps) costs $8750month. Which is BS our DS-3(45mbps) is going to cost us $8000month.

WesM63 said:
I think everyone pretty much covered nearly everything in this post lol.

Full Duplex means data can be transferred in both directions simultaneously and not be affected by each other.

I love it when people call in and they tell me they have the fiber connection, i nearly roll laughing. Little do they know we (ISP) don't even have a fiber connection. We have fiber to our demark then to high speed serial to our UBR router.

I think what people are trying to get at with the "speed of light'" thing is that, it can potentially carry data at the speed of light, however, we are only able to utilize it to 10gbps.

OT: I found online OC-192 (10gbps) costs $8750month. Which is BS our DS-3(45mbps) is going to cost us $8000month.

There is the monthly cost for the circuit - then there is the bandwidth. Usually when you go to a DS3 or better you don't buy 45mbps at one time. You use the bandwidth you want and are billed using a 95th percentile.

With Verizions FTTH (Fiber to the Home) equipment - fiber connections are getting cheap. SBC is bringing this out too.

Thanks to these services, bandwidth will get cheap. In a few years your broadband connection will be sailing along at at least 5-10mbps downstream for $50/mo.

The more the technology is deployed and refined the cheaper it all will get.

One thing that was not mentioned. With a T1 you are also payig for a SLA (Service level agreement) that puts DSL to shame. Also keep in mind that just because dsl is 1.5 down and a T1 is 1.5 doesnt necessarily mean they are the same. T1's have a much more organized way about then, 24 channels, each at 64kbps it can be split,. muxed demuxed turned upside down, and stood on top of its head. DSL is just um well DSL it rides the same copper pairs to the demarc but is a much less elequent transport medium

Ok, need to stop associating speed and bandwidth. Yeah great that fiber works at the speed of light, but you won't notice the speed of light in your communications. It's all down to the bandwidth the line can handle. Like mentioned earlier electrical signals over twisted pair is about 2/3 the speed of light, fiber of course is at the speed of light. Now you can get copper up to 10GigE (With CAT6 under the perfect conditions and with technology that probably doesn't exsist) or you can do 10BaseT over the same cable. Same with Fiber. You can do 100MBit or you can do much much more.

Just need to stop associating speed of light and bandwidth!

lomn75 said:
wrong again. "A" in ADSL is "asymmetric" not "asynchronous"
DSL/ Cable have fully isolated upstream & downstream channels; therefore, full duplex. You are trying to refer to uplink saturation which results in slowdown at a higher (TCP) network layer and affects SDSL the same as ADSLthe same as any other connection.

i never said it wasn't full duplex.

SDSL from my experience is not effected by upstream saturation

SYN ACK said:
i never said it wasn't full duplex.

SDSL from my experience is not affected by upstream saturation
full duplex, by definition, is separated uplink/downlink. half-duplex is, by definition, non-separated uplink/downlink. So claiming SDSL differs from ADSL in this regard is saying that one is not full duplex.
Also, syncronicity has no place in the consideration. While I realize there are a lot of incorrect references out there calling it "Synchronous DSL," they're simply wrong.
Synchronous means "shared clock"
Symmetric means "same speed"
I don't know offhand whether DSL is symmetric or not, but I can easily say which term distinguishes SDSL from ADSL.

However, SDSL is *less* susceptible to upstream saturation simply because there's more upstream bandwidth. By the same token, 1.5/384 ADSL is less susceptible than 1.5/256 ADSL. Of course, 256/256 SDSL will be equally susceptible to uplink saturation. The underlying technology, regardless of how you connect, is irrelevant because it's a TCP issue.

Back