stealthy123
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Feb 4, 2005
- Messages
- 3,149
I am gong to try to upgrade my core 2 laptop before the CPUs get hard to find, and I am currently running a 2.4 ghz with 3mb cache.
I read what reviews I could find comparing the caches and it seems I will get a bit of performance out of moving to a 6mb cache version, and as a consequence of that I will also end up getting 400-500mhz more processor speed.
I can save quite a bit if I stick with a 3 or 4 mb cache version while still getting the mhz boost.
Is it worth it to spend 100-150 more on the 6mb cache version? or would the faster chip for less be the way to go.
I don't know much about the intel side of things, and just figured out this morning there is no such thing as a hyper threaded core 2, which is what I would have really liked. Unfortunately I can't run quads so that is out of the question. I can run extreme edition cpus, but I am not sure I would want to overclock a laptop so I am leaning towards not going that route.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I read what reviews I could find comparing the caches and it seems I will get a bit of performance out of moving to a 6mb cache version, and as a consequence of that I will also end up getting 400-500mhz more processor speed.
I can save quite a bit if I stick with a 3 or 4 mb cache version while still getting the mhz boost.
Is it worth it to spend 100-150 more on the 6mb cache version? or would the faster chip for less be the way to go.
I don't know much about the intel side of things, and just figured out this morning there is no such thing as a hyper threaded core 2, which is what I would have really liked. Unfortunately I can't run quads so that is out of the question. I can run extreme edition cpus, but I am not sure I would want to overclock a laptop so I am leaning towards not going that route.
Thanks in advance for any help.