How much data do you use?

Kongar

Gawd
I have an "unlimited" data plan from when I got my first iphone 3G. rabble rabble rabble about changing the terms of my unlimited contract... :mad:

ANYWAY - I just got a notification from AT&T that I've approached 5GB of data for last month. If I exceed 5GB - I will be throttled. My first response "F U" After that, I looked at my history - and I use a solid 3.5 to 4.5 GB of data a month. Now this strikes me as odd since I pretty much only websurf, and watch the occasional funny video sent to me by buddies. I wouldn't have guessed I used that much data since I don't tether, I don't stream pandora, etc. So my question is how much do you all use, and what for?

2GB of data seems woefully small if I can double that from websurfing and a few you tube videos a week... :rolleyes:

I was on the 2GB plan and never hit the max. Closest I came was about 1.8GB.

I switched to the 10GB share plan last month so we now have 10GB shared amonst 6 phones and we are nearly at the end of the 1st cycle and in total we are right about 2GB to date.

3 smartphones and 3 dumbphones, but on wifi most of the time and really at work I don't use it much as I'm there to work not use my phone.

Surfing the web, Playstore, GPS, that type of stuff. I don't stream music or movies.

Try switching your browser to one that has the option to compress data like Chrome or Opera and see if that helps.

You might want to also check if any of your apps are pulling too much data in the background. You can block that as G+ is notorious at times for eating data while you are not using it.

The max I ever used was a little over 3gb in one month. That is when I ONLY used data though, no wifi at all. I have hit my 2gb limit, but it usually isn't an issue since my home wifi is actually acceptable now.

I can usually hit 10-15gb a month because im usually streaming music or videos daily. I dont understand how some get by with 2GB on a smartphone these days. Its sad that carriers are forcing its customers into this.

Ya most of my data is coming from my web browser. It's stupid lunch break crap - just internet kittehs, Francis, news sites, reddit, whatever. 30-45 min a day using data (because I don't want to use work wifi for that stuff - this place is waaaaaaay too politically correct). ~4GB a month. I pay $180 a month for two phones on a family plan for me and my wife. $180, and I can't surf the net at will for my lunch break. Too much BS for too much money.

If you're on Android, you can natively see what apps/services are using exactly how much data (provided you're on 4.0 and above). From there, you can select which apps are allowed to use cellular data, so they will only sync or use data while on WiFi.

To answer the question on how much data I use though; normally around 2-4 GBs, but if I'm away for work (when I tether a lot), I use up to 15 GBs or so. I'm still on Verizon's unlimited data plan and plan to stay on it until they force me off of it. Fortunately they don't throttle data past any point either. I do stream a lot of audio and some video too. My wife is normally home on WiFi, but since getting her GS4 (came from a Rezound, which was a totall POS), she went up from a couple hundred MBs/month to 1-2 GBs. But she watches Netflix and streams audio in the car when we're on road trips too.

Since you asked -- with wifi at home and wifi at work, I stay comfortably under my 200 MB limit (for $5/month).

Your usage should not get up to 3-4 GB unless you are watching multiple videos a day or something.

Why reward them by continuing to be their customer and feed them money? I'd publicize it, leave a negative review wherever you can and drop them for another wireless carrier with integrity. Tmobile unlimited is truly unlimited along with Verizon grandfathered. If Verizon ever pull this shenanigan I'd dump them for Tmo.

Sprint user here.. haven't been able to track it since I got LTE due to annoyances in how android 4.4 is setup so wifi and LTE both show up on the same data graph... (I shovel quite a bit of data over to the phone via wifi)

used to be a gig or two a month but that was also before I could use it much. (3g at work sucked, too many folks on too few towers)

I use between 1-3 GB of data over the 8 months. The average is 2 GB. The whole family use between 2.5 to over 5 GB of data, averaging 3.4 GB. Max I've used is just under 3 GB, and the max for the whole family on a totally different month is 5.3 GB. And, yes, even though I'm on Sprint, using 3 GB of data can happen!

I'm on t-mobile postpaid in NYC region

typically on the "free" 500MB @ full 4G speed (and unlimited @ 2G after), get to maybe 2-3GB even at 2G speeds (mostly browsing the web, some streaming radio slowly at 2G speeds)

this month, decided to upgrade to unlimited to test the service, tethering and watching olympics on the go. going to go above 20GB for the month

1GB at most. I'm mostly using it around wifi (my house, friends houses).

I rarely stream music, and if I watch video its only for a moment.

On my family plan most people use between 1-2 GB but for some random reason each person would shoot up to 3-5GB. Seemed to happen in different months. Sprint unlimited so we don't really care, I only checked to see if their new family rip-off plan would be cheaper.

I don't really every watch much video, I do sync files, email and websurf, take notes etc.... I connect to wifi when its available, not to save data but just because it is usually faster, but not always.

On a 2gb plan

Rarely go over a gig.

I just browse about 2 websites because my phone isn't able to handle bigger websites (HTC Radar)

I have been going over my 5GB cap pretty regularly. It has to stop. I wish I was grandfathered into the unlimited plan.

On Verizon Unlimited, use 3-4 gigs on average. Can go up to 6-7 if I am on vacation.
I just checked & I am currently at 5.5GB with 3 more days in the cycle.
Nothing crazy.

Last edited:
Haven't broken 100MB yet for this billing period. If I try it might make it up to 200MB. Half of that was to push through an update for a game.

If you're worried about data you should start uninstalling stuff you don't use. Android seems to be really bad for absurd amount of updates for it's apps. I just did updates for someone's brand new GS3 and there was at least 20 apps wanting an update.

@OP: $180 for two people is definitely crazy. It would be worth your time to see what other offers you can find.

I paid extra for 5GB a month but I'm on WiFi 95% of the time and I don't think I've ever used more than 300Mb in a billing cycle haha. Time to rethink my wireless plan.

ANYWAY - I just got a notification from AT&T that I've approached 5GB of data for last month. If I exceed 5GB - I will be throttled.
You get throttled? :D I get charged an extra fair 10 USD/GigaByte (relative to 5GB data plan = 50 USD/month). I can handle and accept that.

I use between 2-3 GB per billing cycle on average.

10gb a month on an ATT unlimited plan, Get throttled after I go past 5gb....It wouldn't be so high but Im constantly using Spotify. I only have the 16gb iPhone otherwise Id just keep an offline playlist. But the throttling isn't too bad. Its just not as instantaneous as the usual speeds :(

2-6gb/mo, Sprint unlimited, youtube and playstore/humble bundle games are the biggest cultprit. If I'm on vacation this will shoot up with Netflix usage thrown in.

Usually 1.5-2gb here. Fairly light usage, other than a few hours of Pandora per week. Plus I always switch to WiFi at home or at friends houses.

Usage: 3-5 GB a day.
Carrier: I-Wireless
Throttled: NO. Again...NO.
Plan: 55/month Unlimited minutes/txt/data (4G)

I'm currently sitting at 20 GB. Never have I once been throttled ever. I recommend I-Wireless to everyone. I rarely use Wi-Fi.

If you guys are wondering, I use it for HD videos, High bitrate radio, imgur, and heavy web browsing.

Interesting. I planned on ditching AT&T when my contract is up later this year. But I was hesitant to sign up for a 2GB plan +$ for going over, or getting throttled. But it looks like I-wireless is truly unlimited with no throttling (as they all should be IMO). Somehow I hadn't heard of them before...

depends, when I'm traveling for work I hit around 40-50 GB a month on a unlimited verizon plan. normally though I'm usually under 2GB.

Interesting. I planned on ditching AT&T when my contract is up later this year. But I was hesitant to sign up for a 2GB plan +$ for going over, or getting throttled. But it looks like I-wireless is truly unlimited with no throttling (as they all should be IMO). Somehow I hadn't heard of them before...

Looks like they are based off of T-Mobile, so that's why.

I'm on Sprint. Here is my usage for the last few months:

March - 1.5gb so far (billing cycle ends on the 23rd)
February - 3.4gb
January - 5.6gb
December - 2.6gb
November - 4.8gb
October - 4.7gb
September - 8.5gb
August - 2.6gb

I do roofing or a living and rarely can connect to wifi, so unlimited data is a must for me. That's pretty much the only reason i stay with Sprint at this point. I wanted to try T-Mobile, but I don't think they have as good as service as sprint when it comes to some of my job-site locations. Going by the average from the months posted above (not including this months), I use about 4.7gb on average. That doesn't include my wife's usage. Her usage jumps all around. One month she'll have 500mb, the next 2gb, then back down to 1gb, then 3gb. On average I would say she uses about 2gb. I expect that to jump once sprint finishes the 800mhz band. She'll be able to watch Netflix much more at work when it's a slow night.

Sprint user here.. haven't been able to track it since I got LTE due to annoyances in how android 4.4 is setup so wifi and LTE both show up on the same data graph... (I shovel quite a bit of data over to the phone via wifi)

used to be a gig or two a month but that was also before I could use it much. (3g at work sucked, too many folks on too few towers)

It's easy to check. Just check your bill they mail you, or if you do it online, then go to your bill history. Open the PDF version of your bill and it tells you.

About 3GB a month, mostly for iTunes Radio. Work policy prevents streaming media so I get my music over 3G.

Sprint SERO, $50/month

1.9gb in my iPhone 5s with sprint LTE. I haven't reset it so this is the total on the phone since I got it on release day.

Im on T-Mobile's $50 Prepaid plan - and I rarely go over the 500MB allotment. Its unlimited technically, but only the first 500 come at LTE speeds. Even when I was on AT&T with grandfathered unlimited I rarely went near a 1gb. Now that Ive been training myself to save playlist to the phone/tablet before I leave - its pretty easy to not stream constantly.

It's easy to check. Just check your bill they mail you, or if you do it online, then go to your bill history. Open the PDF version of your bill and it tells you.

I'm on a family plan so I don't get the bill, haven't cared enough to ask who gets the bill to check given we've got unlimited data. Used to track it on the phone more out of idle curiosity than anything else.

l903.jpg

Usually very little, but I traveled a ton in January. I guess I used a little more than usual :)

Verizon unlimited btw.

I guess I used a little more than usual :)

man no overages. I miss Verizon:( Those plans were ~$70/month?

I use 4-5gb a month streaming 30-40 hours of radio/week at work. I'd use probably 8-10 if I didn't get throttled to 2g speeds at 5gb. And a lot more if I started tethering. But 5gb *almost* covers constant music and light web browsing daily, can't complain:)

After 8 months with Verizon, I had a scare when I ended up with 1.997GB used of 2GB. I upped it immediately to 4GB a month and I haven't gone over 2GB since.

After 8 months with Verizon, I had a scare when I ended up with 1.997GB used of 2GB. I upped it immediately to 4GB a month and I haven't gone over 2GB since.

Shoulda just kept 2GB then. If you are really pushing it one month, pay $10 extra for another 1GB. Makes more sense than paying those extra $10(or is it $20?) every month if you never use it.

Back