• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much CPU power do I need for this build?

Nearsite

Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
965
Hello Thar!

I'm building a SFF case for watching movies on blu-ray, downloading torrents to watch through my HDTV, and watching Netflix streaming videos. I will not be using it to watch regular/cabel TV. I will also be using this build to rip and burn DVDs via Shrink.

I want to use an AMD proc with the 780G chipset. I have 2 gigs ram at 667mhz as well as two 400gb HDs. I will be using onboard sound and video. (Trying to keep cost down to a minimum).

I want to go Tricore, but will an Athlon X2 4000 suffice for what I want to do?
 
I recommend getting at least an X2 4200+ since it's only $3 more than the X2 4000+.

An X2 4200+ in conjunction with the excellent HD processing of the 780G chipset should be enough for Blu-ray.
 
Thanks Danny, how about the cpu you recommended for encoding such as ripping my DVDs onto my harddrive. Will it do it in less than half an hour for a regular dvd movie?
 
Thanks Danny, how about the cpu you recommended for encoding such as ripping my DVDs onto my harddrive. Will it do it in less than half an hour for a regular dvd movie?

To be honest, I haven't ripped a DVD in years. The last time I did so was with a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz rig. That took a few hours. So basically, I don't know if it will do it in less than half an hour for a regular DVD movie.

Wait a minute, a straight rip or a rip and encoding?
 
got with this setup

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G, S AM2+, mATX
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2758

or

Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI, AMD 780G, S AM2+, mATX
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2064&modelmenu=1



  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4050e, AM2, Dual Core, 2.1GHz, 1MB Cache, 45W
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e, AM2, Dual Core, 2.3GHz, 1MB Cache, 45W
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e, AM2, Dual Core, 2.5GHz, 1MB Cache, 45W

newer am2 cpus would be a good way to go as there just as good and use less
power.

here is a nice review on whats best for a media pc that supports full hd playback

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-780G-HDTV-Blu-Ray,review-30420-4.html
 
Back
Top