How MoCap Was Used in Avatar

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
So you’re probably going to hear a lot about James Cameron’s newest movie Avatar this weekend. I saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and was totally floored by the cinematography. Wired has several videos about Avatar, including this cool one that looks at how Cameron and his team used motion capture technology to bring life to the Na’Vi characters. Neato.

Edit: Popular Mechanics has done a piece on James Cameron's technology behind Avatar as well. It's long, detailed, and full of awesome.

See front page for video.

Last edited:
Seeing this tonight!

Bring something to do in line. I watched the 1:30pm show yesterday and there were lines for the next two showings when I got out. Good stuff though. I totally want to watch it again.

Thanks for the video, Terry... very interesting and it makes me want to go and check out Avatar sooner than I've planned to do it.

Saw this last night and was completely floored. Going to see it again tomorro night with step father and brother.

Yeah I saw it last night in 3d as well. Incredible movie experience. I couldnt imagine watching it non-3d now that i've seen it in 3d. Definately want to watch again. Its amazing how far the technology for 3d has come...

I'm thinking about seeing this, but I can't do 3D. Unfortunately, every past experience with 3D has left me almost puking due to motion sickness and vertigo. Not to mention 3D glasses never sit right on my face, ending up off-center and causing more problems with my enjoyment of the whole 3D experience...

Is the movie worth it to see without 3D???

I'm thinking about seeing this, but I can't do 3D. Unfortunately, every past experience with 3D has left me almost puking due to motion sickness and vertigo. Not to mention 3D glasses never sit right on my face, ending up off-center and causing more problems with my enjoyment of the whole 3D experience...

Is the movie worth it to see without 3D???

There's a part in the movie that will send anyone that has motion sickness reaching for their barf bag so beware if you do see it in 3D. I haven't seen it without 3D so I can't comment. I don't see why not though. It's a visual treat, with or without the big glasses.

Saw the IMAX 3D version a few hours ago. Quite nice looking, though the limitations of the passive polarization-based glasses were quite apparent, with the polarization artifacts being clearly present on edges and shiny surfaces (water, non-CGI faces) and things generally being somewhat fuzzy.

I'd like to see this movie again with active shutter glasses :)

I saw this yesterday at noon in IMAX 3D. First show of the day near me and the theater was full. Very impressive movie IMHO. Its 2 hours 40 minutes long but never drags, the 3D fits very well and is not overdone and the story line is quite enjoyable even though it is a bit predictable in a few spots. I would definitely go see it again and will likely buy it when released on DVD (and I don't buy many movies).

Saw the IMAX 3D version a few hours ago. Quite nice looking, though the limitations of the passive polarization-based glasses were quite apparent, with the polarization artifacts being clearly present on edges and shiny surfaces (water, non-CGI faces) and things generally being somewhat fuzzy.

I'd like to see this movie again with active shutter glasses :)

I agree with you on those artifacts, but I'll up you one more:

Every scene that had shallow depth of field took me out of the immersion. That doesn't happen in 2D, but in 3D, I expect things to look, more or less, like I'm there (or looking out a windows). Unless you've got uncorrected vision issues, the eye has excellent depth of field.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the movie and most of the time, I was right there with characters...even flinched once or twice. It's hard to believe that most of the time, there was no human on the screen.

To my fellow pirates,

Just as most of you, I usually have a hard time justifying going to the theater to see a movie. It isn't because I can't afford to, but because the movies don't meet my expectations for the asking price. Well, I went to go see it in 3D IMAX and all I can say is that for the first time in years, I can’t recall ever having a better movie experience. The next day, all I could do was think about this movie over and over again.

If it is within your means, please show support for this movie by purchasing a ticket for a 3D viewing. You won't regret it, I promise!

Just saw this movie and I was floored. I think I am going to see it again tomorrow... if I can get tickets.

It is a beautiful technological achievement with a decent story. Make sure you stick around for the credits... the sheer number of people who worked on this movie boggles the mind. This is the pinnacle of CGI and nothing is going to come close for years to come. I just hope this movie's 3D pushes enough people into purchasing 3D TV's in 2010!

I should also add:
I get motion sick. This movie never made me queasy.

See it in 3D.

Saw this movie in 2D then 3D. It's truely amazing, best I've seen since lord of the rings. Best work I've ever seen. The technology makes anything possible in the movies now.

Saw the movie tonight and it was nice to see something totally new and different. I'm not saying it is the next Star Wars, but I think I have an idea of what people felt when they saw it for the first time.

Fantastic movie one of the best I can remember seeing, 3D usually gives me a headache but this didn't at all. One of the things that works super well is that the 3d isn't over done, it complements the movie but but you can almost forget about it for most of the movie.

Saw this movie in 2D then 3D. It's truely amazing, best I've seen since lord of the rings. Best work I've ever seen. The technology makes anything possible in the movies now.

I remember watching Two Towers and Return of the King and sitting there, watching Smeagol and the level of interaction involved... and now I feel like an idiot for saying then "They're not going to be able to top this." (The dual personality monologue is still one of the best scenes, ever... They absolutely nailed it.)

I wonder now if sometime in the future I'm going to feel like an idiot for saying "This is probably the last time I'll be IMPRESSED by what a new movie has to offer." I know my wow moments have been further and fewer in between.

All these talks about 3D movies make me want to get laser eye surgery, since Im wearing glasses.

Yeah the 3D effects didn't seem to do a whole lot. I guess it would of been better if I had a pair of 3D glasses that were bigger than the ones they give you at the movies. But the 3D was in digital and first time I seen a movie in digital. Digital is just 100x better than film for me.

Added an update about a nice article in Popular Mechanics that talks about the tech behind Avatar too.

Completely recommend this film. Fantastic! 3D glasses a bit of a nuisance as I wear glasses, but not major issue. Definitely a MUST see imho.

Definitely a great movie. I could have done without the 3D stuff to be honest - spent half the movie trying to thinking about not throwing up because of the 3D blur. Anxiously awaiting the non-3D disc release.

All these talks about 3D movies make me want to get laser eye surgery, since Im wearing glasses.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went and saw this Sunday morning (in attempt to beat the line which was still fairly busy) and the 3D glasses really didn't sit well on my face. They fit alright but I was fighting with them at a few times. The whole time I was wishing I had laser eye surgery so I could enjoy the movie without glasses.

Then again, I guess I can just wait 2 more weeks and see Avatar again because I *am* getting laser surgery (PRK) done on Jan 6th. :D

I caught this Sunday afternoon. Due to New England winter storm the theater was relatively empty at the time I got there, which was like 1 hour before lol. We opted to see the 3d imax version. Being one of the first into the theater, we got the seats right in the middle of the screen. The glasses were large enough to fit over my current glasses and never felt uncomfortable. I have to say the level of details, and 3d of the movie was awesome, totally worth the money. My wife said the story line reminded her of pocahontas.

First time NE weather actually was a benefit to me haha. On a side note I tend to get motion sickness, but with the movie i had no issues.

I saw this in 4k digital 3d (non-imax screen), and its the first 3d movie that ever looked good, or where the 3d was more than just a gimmick,

Back