How Many Use Tenkeyless & Why?

M33X7

Limp Gawd
Just wondering how many people use tenkeyless, and why.

Keyboard size?
Find the numpad useless/annoying or useful?

I'm a hardcore gamer and web designer, but I don't use the numpad for anything, with the exceptions of sometimes when using the calculator or paying bills online.

It's otherwise not useful for gaming, since even if a game uses any numpad keys, you can usually rebind keys to something else.

I relatively prefer tenkeyless, just due to keyboard size, saving a few inches on my desk for a larger mousepad without feeling cramped, which makes it a little more comfortable as well, since I can have the full keyboard right in front of me instead of off to the left a little.

Which do you use/prefer and why?

At first I thought TKL was a fad. I bought into it out of curiosity and discovered I like the size better. Every once and a while I miss the tenkey, but the size allows for more natural hand/arm placement on some desks.

All the keyboards I use are TKL now.

I use a TKL at home because I wanted a cheap mechanical keyboard with blues so I got the Coolermaster Quickfire and it turns out that I like the size and don't really miss the tenkey all that much.

I have to have a tenkey at work though as I do too much with db records.

How do people deal with the absence of keypad?

I use Wireless (K400) keyboard on my HTPC from my couch and find a lot of software uses the keypad. I don't want to remap all of my software. I usually just get up and use my wired keyboard when I hit software that needs keypad, but I will never buy another keyboard without the keypad after this.

Tenkeyless is nice for cramped space or travel. Many prefer it for gaming because you can keep the mouse closer. I tried tenkeyless, but missed the feel of a full-size board, even for gaming. I'm also one of the few who actually types faster, more accurately, more comfortably with a laptop style board. I use a SIIG aluminum board and love it. It's very similar to the Enermax Aurora boards, but the SIIG is better built.

At first I thought TKL was a fad. I bought into it out of curiosity and discovered I like the size better. Every once and a while I miss the tenkey, but the size allows for more natural hand/arm placement on some desks.

All the keyboards I use are TKL now.

I use a TKL at home because I wanted a cheap mechanical keyboard with blues so I got the Coolermaster Quickfire and it turns out that I like the size and don't really miss the tenkey all that much.

I have to have a tenkey at work though as I do too much with db records.

You guys sound exactly like me, as I also found it more comfortable, though I was at first skeptical of going TKL.

It's more comfortable for me as well, don't know, just something about the size, feel, and distance between M/KB, the positioning that's more comfortable.

For those who work a lot with numbers at home etc., of course TKL wouldn't work out, but I don't use it for anything other than occasionally typing in numbers for paying bills etc. By nature, for some reason, I always go for the standard num keys on a keyboard even after all these years. No idea why, and my wife always asks me why I do it, ha ha.

I also think it looks nicer.

I do a lot of web design etc. and a lot of typing, I type fast, and I still just generally like it better.

I've not found any software that's "required" the TK, unless you include a few commands for DayZ, ha ha, but they can all be re-binded.

It just feels better. I can keep my hands just the right length apart when using a mouse.

I like how it is smaller and does not have that extra space taken up.

I use a Lenovo USB keyboard that is TKL and just like my Thinkpad laptop keyboard. Love it. Even has the trackpoint ;)

Less than TKL ftw, its so just nice.

oqLbO.jpg

I use an Apple wireless keyboard and it's the best keyboard I've owned. I don't have to move my right hand very far to get to the mouse, and it does not intersect with my mousepad.

Battery life is also extremely good.

Had a HappyHacker, but it was non-standard and got misplaced.

Got an IBM SpaceSaver II last week, but the action is absolute rubbish.

Today I got a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (red keys) -- it's very nice, but the linear keys will take a little getting used to (no feedback bump). Also the lettering is a little raised and different. NKRO with PS/2, and 6KRO on usb. I'm curious what the brown keys are like. I can't get the blue keys due to noise concerns, and they say the blacks are just stiff reds. The caps lock, scroll lock, and win lockout keys have annoyingly bright red leds ... the key tops come off, so it's probably trivial to fix that.

I've been tempted to swap my K90 with a Ducky Shine II or CM QFR... I'd have to get that Griffin Powermate wheel or something similar for volume control tho. I really don't use the number pad a lot, even when coding I usually reach for the number row; not entirely sure how much I'd miss it.

I've been tempted to swap my K90 with a ... CM QFR... I'd have to get that Griffin Powermate wheel or something similar for volume control tho.

CMQFR has FN + volume up/down. At least mine does. I got mine from Amazon, and it doesn't have the logos all over it, much cleaner looking.

Yeah I can't stand that key combo just for adjusting volume tho, make me feel like I'm on a laptop.

I've got one on my test bench because of the limited space. I do often miss the 10-key when I'm using it. I'd never be without it on my desktop. I key in far too many numbers to be without.

I have a CM Quickfire Rapid Tenkeyless and I love it. I don't need a number pad as I mainly use it for gaming/typing so it saves a lot of space and gives my entire setup a more minimalistic look.

I find that I use the enter key a lot on.the numpad, but not the actual numbers too much. I also use alt codes from time to time, so I think I need the tenkey. Although I have never tried a tkl..

I have a CM Quickfire Rapid Tenkeyless and I love it. I don't need a number pad as I mainly use it for gaming/typing so it saves a lot of space and gives my entire setup a more minimalistic look.

That's the 10-keyless board I use. That's on my test bench. I'm happy with the quality and the feel of it but I can't give up the number pad full time.

That's the 10-keyless board I use. That's on my test bench. I'm happy with the quality and the feel of it but I can't give up the number pad full time.

It's awesome for the price isn't it? I only paid $60 shipped for mine from Amazon. Did yours have the CM branding all over it?

There are stand-alone number/ten-key pads available; I just hate to see people limit their prefrence to standard options when there are simple alternatives that may end up more appealing.

For me it's both good and not.

It's of course very compact and much more comfortable. That said, in my native language many non-standart keys are on numbers, that means each time i am typing in native language and want to insert a number, i must switch language. This is insanely uncomfortable.

I guess in my position it would be best to get an extra numpad just for typing, because i don't need it in games and surfing internet.

I dunno how you guys do it. I love the numpad. I use it every single time I have to input numbers and that happens a lot. I also prefer the look, I kind of hate the look of a 10 keyless. looks cramped and a keyboard made for midgets aka small people.

The best compromise for people that want to retain the numpad but also enjoy the size and aesthetics of a TKL: CM Storm QuickFire TK.

I'm using it right now and can't find a single thing to complain about.

So just as some feedback, I do like the CM Storm QF Rapid keyboard TKL size, but the Cherry MX switches I think aren't going to work out for me -- long travel and no feedback makes general typing error prone for me. I keep swithcing and doubbling and omiting letters. It's not really that loud, but in a quiet room, it is notably louder than normal for sure. (The blue switches are right out for noise for me, and reviews say the brown switches barely have any feedback.)

There are stand-alone number/ten-key pads available; I just hate to see people limit their prefrence to standard options when there are simple alternatives that may end up more appealing.

I like the Das Keyboard Professional I've been using on my main machine now for a couple of years. It's been great. There are also WASD keyboards and some other options should I need to replace it. Finally where those CM Storm QuickFire Rapid's are their small foot print is ideal.

I would never use TKL on a "real work" computer- but I did buy one for my gaming-only PC. It sits on a smaller desk and a full-size KB would interfere with the mousepad on the keyboard tray. As it is, the TKL is a pretty tight fit.

It works okay although I still kind of miss the 10-key section, particularly when I need to authenticate blizzard games. I use the 10-key section almost exclusively for numeric input, so my instinct is to reach for the keypad any time any number needs to be typed in.

There actually have been a couple games I play (for example ARMA II and Anno 2070) where I missed the keypad too- some of the more complex games use keys on the keypad for specific functions and I had to remap some of the bindings for those controls. When I bought the board I didn't really think about this aspect.

i like the form factor and allows my hands to be closer together when i'm gaming.

I hear people say things like that and I have to wonder: Do you not have shoulders or something? I know I've got broad shoulders but I keep my keyboard no closer to the mouse without a 10 key than I do with one. In other words the WASD keys are aligned in the same place regardless of whether or not the keyboard has the number pad on it.

I used one at work for a bit. Didn't realize how often I used the keypad until I didn't have it. I'm much, much quicker at number typing on the keypad than I am on the number keys. That being said... This is sexy. Which keyboard is this?
Goodfellah said:

edit: Looks like a KBC/KBT/Vortex (I'm confused) Poker 40%. Interwebs to the rescue. Shame they're nigh unfindable now.

Last edited:
I use the numpad frequently to enter numbers and I'm not sure the normal numbers would work just as well.
A numpad on the left might be nice.
It's a shame CM boards don't have the context menu key.

Last edited:
I hear people say things like that and I have to wonder: Do you not have shoulders or something? I know I've got broad shoulders but I keep my keyboard no closer to the mouse without a 10 key than I do with one. In other words the WASD keys are aligned in the same place regardless of whether or not the keyboard has the number pad on it.

We do, but having TKL gives the mouse a bit more room.

I have a pretty large mouspad off to the side of my keyboard. The room provided by TKL keyboards would go to waste.

I used one at work for a bit. Didn't realize how often I used the keypad until I didn't have it. I'm much, much quicker at number typing on the keypad than I am on the number keys. That being said... This is sexy. Which keyboard is this?

edit: Looks like a KBC/KBT/Vortex (I'm confused) Poker 40%. Interwebs to the rescue. Shame they're nigh unfindable now.

Yes that's a KBC Poker. Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them with blacks and I believe they will be getting more in with reds & blues. Apparently there's a shortage on browns, so there won't be any w/ browns.
I just picked up a Customized Poker from MMB on GH. I went with ergo clears (MX Clear w/ 62g Korean springs), Stainless Steel Poker Plate, Pink switch stickers, and Purple LED.

Edit: Link to Poker w/ blacks - mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

Last edited:
Yes that's a KBC Poker. Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them with blacks and I believe they will be getting more in with reds & blues. Apparently there's a shortage on browns, so there won't be any w/ browns.
I just picked up a Customized Poker from MMB on GH. I went with ergo clears (MX Clear w/ 62g Korean springs), Stainless Steel Poker Plate, Pink switch stickers, and Purple LED.

Edit: Link to Poker w/ blacks - mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

Logitech may have bought a crap ton of Cherry MX Browns. This could account, in part at least for the shortage.

i obliterated my rotator cuff about 4 years ago and had surgery and 5 months of physical therapy, so yes, i do have shoulder problems. i'm also not very tall, at 5' 6"

ducky shine2 TKL here, blues, love it

what is the numpad for again?

And in answer to DanD, the way I have my eyefinity wrapped it was crowded with a standard keyboard and my ratpadz.

I use a TKL for better ergonomics while gaming, it's much more comfortable because I don't have 6ft wide shoulders. I don't use the number pad except when doing taxes or paying bills.

It also looks pretty sweet too.

i obliterated my rotator cuff about 4 years ago and had surgery and 5 months of physical therapy, so yes, i do have shoulder problems. i'm also not very tall, at 5' 6"

I have unusually wide shoulders so I guess I have a hard time seeing where some of you are coming from. On either side of my Das Keyboard Professional, my hands rest comfortably and even naturally over 6-8 inches to either side of it. I could go wider without too much discomfort either.

Back