• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How many processes do you have running?

Filtrator

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
199
Couple of years ago, I used to run tons of extra apps, my tray bar was pretty full, calendars, system info software, logitech drivers.....

hfEvh.jpg


But then I got bitten by a minimalist bug got tired of constantly trying to manage running applications and decided to cut down a bit, slowly, I ended up with this....

eZ1ou.png


+ Launchy, I have the icon hidden.


That's pretty much it, I usually have 28-30 processes running from the start up. I could survive on 1GB, easily, maybe even 512MB.



So what's your situation? how much stuff have you got running? how many icons in your tray?
 
In Windows 7 I have 44 total processes, my tray has the following
1 Nostromo N52 gamepad
4 Logitech G13/G15
2 Canon scanner software
2 Comodo Firewall
1 Punkbuster
1 Realtek Audio
Remainder are all Windows processes.
 
6 visible icons in the taskbar with 7 hidden. With no programs open after a boot-up, I have 55 processes running. As of now, about 5 days since I last restarted, I have 59 processes running.
 
Pidgin, uTorrent, Foobar2000, mIRC, MSI Afterburner, Vista Anti-Lag, PowerISO Launcher, QuickCam Manager, and Creative Volume Panel are the icons in my tray--along with the MS defaults Alerts, Sound, and Network Connection. Besides that I'm usually always running Firefox and Media Player Classic, unless I'm COD4ing. 59 processes running, 11 are svchost.
 
Last edited:
Windows 7 x64.
1 default start up item is MSE
Windows speaker volume visible.
33 processes once system is idle. (34 including Task Manager to view).
 
chasehansen-mbp:~ chansen$ ps -x
PID TTY TIME CMD
534 ?? 0:00.42 /sbin/launchd
538 ?? 0:03.14 /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock
539 ?? 0:18.52 /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUISer
540 ?? 0:09.66 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
543 ?? 0:00.00 /usr/sbin/pboard
544 ?? 0:14.97 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.fr
553 ?? 0:00.40 /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent -l Aqua
559 ?? 0:00.14 /System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/MacOS
565 ?? 0:17.03 /Applications/Utilities/SteerMouse.app/Contents/Resources/SteerMouse Manag
566 ?? 0:00.56 /Library/PreferencePanes/SynergyKM.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Synergyd.ap
568 ?? 0:14.07 /Applications/Menu Calendar Clock.app/Contents/MacOS/MenuCalendarClock iCa
570 ?? 0:00.12 /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacO
571 ?? 0:00.48 /Applications/SizeUp.app/Contents/MacOS/SizeUp -psn_0_77843
572 ?? 0:02.41 /Applications/Google Notifier.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Notifier -psn_0_81
574 ?? 0:00.15 /Users/chansen/Library/Caches/Cleanup At Startup/CrossOver CD Helper.app/C
576 ?? 0:00.11 /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/MacOS/AppleSpell -psn
582 ?? 0:04.62 /Library/PreferencePanes/SynergyKM.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Synergyd.ap
705 ?? 0:55.77 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail -psn_0_180268
710 ?? 0:00.01 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/KerberosHelper.framework/Resources/LKDCH
757 ?? 0:04.32 /System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Resources/QTKitServer
989 ?? 0:00.19 /System/Library/CoreServices/CCacheServer.app/Contents/MacOS/CCacheServer
1130 ?? 0:01.28 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.fram
1160 ?? 1:06.56 /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -psn_0_393312
1175 ?? 0:08.29 /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/MacOS/Software U
1240 ?? 0:00.91 /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal -psn_0_442476
1242 ttys000 0:00.06 login -pf chansen
1243 ttys000 0:00.02 -bash
1256 ttys000 0:00.00 ps -x
 
65 right now. My laptop w/Windows 7 Biz shuts down/reboots maybe once a month....realistically probably once every 2 months. Else, it's always just hibernating/standby.

I used to lose sleep at night worrying about the minimalist bug.....but, what the heck, I paid for this multi-core processor and RAM, I'm going to use it. And laptop runs like a raped ape.
 
Last edited:
89. And that's light. If I ever fired up F@H again it would be close to a hundred. I have all manner of things running right now... At startup I still have A-V, Logitech software, Live Mesh, printer software, FTP server and DisplayFusion. I rarely restart so boot times aren't as much a bother.

I even will alt-tab out of a game and leave it, or minimize Photoshop, Excel, Outlook, 3ds max, Rhino and Firefox and then launch a game. I once ran two games at once (by accident). That got laggy real fast.
 
Currently, 67 processes and 16 icons in the system tray. It would probably be more but I don't have everything installed yet after wiping the Win7 RC from this system. There's an extra icon or two in the system tray at the moment as I have a couple things running that I don't always have running. I don't give a damn about how many icons I have down there as every one of them there I have there for a reason. However, if it's something I don't use, I don't allow an icon in the system tray if I can help it.

 
6 visible icons in the taskbar with 7 hidden. With no programs open after a boot-up, I have 55 processes running. As of now, about 5 days since I last restarted, I have 59 processes running.

About the same. Have FF, Trillian, and uTorrent running right now, so probably closer to 54 processes if nothing's open.
 
Don't you guys run AVs or firewalls?

I used Avira for a while, but I'm trying out MSE(Microsoft Security Essential) right now. From the AV test scores that are out there, it scores very well, it's lightweight, and I haven't noticed any kind of slowdown. For firewall, I'm just using what comes with Windows.
 
at work...
HP Compaq dc7600 Desktop :XP Pro 32bit, P4 660 @ 3.6, 1GB DDR2

256vgvl.jpg


at home windows 7 x64, complete mess, about 1400MB memory usage at idle :D
 
When I use Window XP, I had 23 processes. Now I am running Window Vista. I have 38 processes.
 
At the office now, Vista 64, and 62 processes running.

This computer runs 24x7, reboots probably 4 or 6 times a year.
 
Maybe I'm spoiled, but I have TONS of tray applications and I never notice any slowdown... I've got drivers for half a dozen peripherals, three or four social apps (mostly chat clients), a couple utilities (rainmeter, ultramon, etc.), Sync for my winmo phone, VCD for mounting disc images...

EDIT: for extra information: 59 processes, 29% of 3.00 GB physical memory used. You do the math, I can't be bothered too right now - I just got done with calculus and physics midterms, both in one day. I think I OD'ed on mathematics...
 
Last edited:
70 processes, 13 of which are various invocations of svchost.exe
Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Idle at 2.52 out of 4 gigs of memory usage
 
Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I hover around 57-59 processes. Including host processes, search indexer, NVIDIA stuff, Creative X-Fi stuff, etc. I have winamp, Digsby and rainmeter running at any given time, as well as some sticky note gadgets. In the "tray" area, I have icons for:

-Microsoft Security Essentials
-Safely remove/eject media
-APC battery backup status
-Digsby icon
-Syngery icon
-rainmeter icon
 
Back
Top