How many PPD?

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Who is going to be the first person to buy one of these to test how many PPD it gets. I am thinking about petitioning IT here at work to swap out the graphics card on my workstation. Sadly I don't think I do enough CAD to get any upgrades any time soon.

Seriously though, what a beefy card. Not probably worth the premium price though.

ya that thing has gotta be hella expensive!!
i could prob snag 2 or 3 9800 gx2's for one of those!

I have seen MSRP of $3,500.

I wonder how many of ROC's computers he could build for $3,500.

Premium price. You ain't just a kiddin' :eek:
I "surfed" the "Net" and came up with a price point one penny short of 4 grand. The URL store I found was offering "pre orders" :rolleyes:

To all us limited funded, read it and weep :)
http://fxvideocards.com/PNY-Nvidia-Quadro-FX-5800-4GB-PCI-E-VCQFX5800-PCIE-PB-p-16430.html

Good luck, please, oh pretty please post the PpD of this giant mongos card. It's just a little outa' my price range. (of course unless I win the Lotto for a couple of mil :rolleyes:)

Folkding and WCGing for a CURE

ok so my initial estimate of 2-3 was off by a bit;) i could prob move up a few team positions for that kind of cash!

Me thinks the PPD/Watt/$ calculations would make this not a very good choice. ;)

Imagine Pande Group blaming EUE's on your hardware if you had one of these though. I think my head would explode.

Make sure if they upgrade their test bench, that this is not the new platform.

A lot of past quadro cards used the same GPU chip as the gaming cards, but some additional features were unlocked via the bios and drivers, etc.

This line, "240 CUDA parallel processing cores", makes the card seem like it is a fancy GTX280 with more RAM, different connectors, and some additional features enabled for CAD work.

If this is the case then it will probably not do any better folding than a run of the mill GTX280.

It's basically a GTX280. Nothing special here. For folding purposes, it won't do any better than a standard 280.

Something to keep in mind about Quadro cards. They are usually almost exactly the same as a the regular gaming GPU they are based off of. However, they are detected as a different card and use different drivers optimized for the type of workload they will have in a workstation environment which is different than what you see in a gaming environment. The hardware doesn't really cost any more than the gaming version of the card but the quality control and optimizations for the drivers are a totally different story. The drivers for the cards is where the big price tag comes into play. The drivers have to be extremely stable with virtually no problems at all as downtime and lost money for the company employing the cards if there is any instability.

Something to keep in mind about Quadro cards. They are usually almost exactly the same as a the regular gaming GPU they are based off of. However, they are detected as a different card and use different drivers optimized for the type of workload they will have in a workstation environment which is different than what you see in a gaming environment. The hardware doesn't really cost any more than the gaming version of the card but the quality control and optimizations for the drivers are a totally different story. The drivers for the cards is where the big price tag comes into play. The drivers have to be extremely stable with virtually no problems at all as downtime and lost money for the company employing the cards if there is any instability.

That's true. However, in terms of folding, the difference between a GeForce and a Quadro using the same GPU will most likely be extremely small, if there even is one.

Even though this is interesting, I'm more curious about Tesla setups than anything else. Apparently, there are some running the GPU client.

Even though this is interesting, I'm more curious about Tesla setups than anything else. Apparently, there are some running the GPU client.

I agree whole heartedly. Here we started out talking about the Quadro FX 5800 for the tune of a little shy of 4 thousand dollars :eek: We completely overlooked the budgety budget model card for less than 17 hundred smackers ($1699.99) :p (good ole TigerDirect below)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4259469&CatId=4044

Talk about goin' to the wall, that's more like taking the wall with you ;) ATM I'm more into the market for 8800GT's, 9800GT's, 8800GS's, 9600GSO's and maybe a 9800GX2 or two ( my PSU inventory runs out at 600w, so that's why I pay careful attention to posts by Kendrak and Tiger, according to them a 750w would cover one or two GX2 cards) :)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Talk about goin' to the wall, that's more like taking the wall with you ;) ATM I'm more into the market for 8800GT's, 9800GT's, 8800GS's, 9600GSO's and maybe a 9800GX2 or two ( my PSU inventory runs out at 600w, so that's why I pay careful attention to posts by Kendrak and Tiger, according to them a 750w would cover one or two GX2 cards) :)
Careful with the PSUs. I lost a 600W Seasonic the other week and all I was running on it were two 8800GT cards and two Opterons with a smattering of low-powered fans. I even had a secondary PSU that was connected to my optical and HDs to offload the Seasonic, yet the 600-watt Seasonic couldn't handle the demand beyond a mere few months. It was a couple of years old but still relevant to mention as a caveat that not all PSUs are created equal, nor should wattage figures be taken as law.

As far as the Teslas are concerned, what's interesting about them is their dedicated role as computational 'powerhouses.' Wonder how they stack up in the GPU F@H pecking order?

Back