How many of you have de-dusted networking equipment outside your house?

Do you de-dust outside your home?

• Yes, all the time... dust bunnies fly all the way around.

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Nope, it's against the EPA

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Since I found the following post very amusing, I decided to ask this anyways... how many of you do this? Because I know I do it and my neighbors look at me like I'm crazy :p

Does this have any negative effects on breathing and other people? EPA would complain, right?

:eek: Damn!

That said I just picked up a 3550 24 port w/ inline power for my home lab and it is a pretty nice switch. The previous owner took really poor care of the switch, I blew out about 3lbs of dust from inside the case. My neighbors must think I am f'ing nuts bringing computers and equipment outside and de-dusting on a very regular basis.

Hooray for equipment that lasts a long time.

I don't think anyone would think somebody is crazy for not wanting to get allergies from being in a dust cloud all day. I dust out my gear outside every once in a while, should probably do it more often actually. Dusting it inside is kind of pointless as the dust is still inside and will get lodged into it again you know.

I used to clean dust from components in my dorm hallway. I didn't wanna fork over the cash for canned air, so I'd be standing out there blowing very hard into stuff. Dust going everywhere. HSFs, video card fans, etc. I'm sure it looked very strange.

I either do it outside or in my garage with the door open. My neighbors let enough leaves roll down the street into my yard, so dust they shall get back!

i use a canned air and a vacuum hose. blow it out and it sucks right into the vacuum, no dust clouds. when we get in a really bad machine thats full of bunnies i do take it outside and blow it out, but the vacuum usually does a good enough job.

I do that right along with the car carpets, beach blankets, to extend the filter life on my shop-vac, all kinds of things.

Only thing that sucks about it is during a wind-change...........right in the face!:D

i use a canned air and a vacuum hose. blow it out and it sucks right into the vacuum, no dust clouds. when we get in a really bad machine thats full of bunnies i do take it outside and blow it out, but the vacuum usually does a good enough job.

Only do this if you have a vacuum with a SEALED HEPA filter. Most vacuums that say HEPA filter don't seal it so air leaks around them and the result is that they just spit dust back into the air.

I use a Miele vacuum. It's amazing.

But still, I usually bring my stuff outside and blow to dust.

I always dust them outside.

Take them out to the garage, dial the compressor down to 30 psi and blow. Free.
Whatever's in there, I don’t want in my house.

I always dust them outside.

Take them out to the garage, dial the compressor down to 30 psi and blow. Free.
Whatever's in there, I don’t want in my house.

LOL, what's in there was in your house...

Edit: I use my air compressor out in the driveway all the time. If you can, it's a good idea to dry the air though. I have a dessicant dryer for my compressor.

Back