How many have had luck ocing a A64 3200 "Newcastle" 754?

Nightrain

Limp Gawd
On stock cooling. If you aren't using stock cooling please tell me. Just want to see what you guys have gotten. Thanks.

I can goto 2200Mhz W/Stock cooling. My RAM is limiting me here. I tried some faster RAM and was able to goto 2300Mhz and then I hit a wall. Whether it was CPU or mobo related im not sure. I went back to low latency( but more RAM ), so im stuck at 2.2 for a while

Steel Chicken said:
I can goto 2200Mhz W/Stock cooling. My RAM is limiting me here. I tried some faster RAM and was able to goto 2300Mhz and then I hit a wall. Whether it was CPU or mobo related im not sure. I went back to low latency( but more RAM ), so im stuck at 2.2 for a while

He asked about an OC on a Newcastle Core 3200, not Clawhammer.

2450mhz with stock cooling and AS5. 2475 will crash after 5 minutes of Prime95. I think I'm heat limited.

MSI neo platnium is completely un-reliable when reading temps. Tried 10 bios's... So I don't know what the temp is :)

Edit: It's definetly not mobo holding me back it will do 300HTT :cool: And ram was 5:6 ratio...

2475 on water here (225x11). I can boot to 2530 (230x11), but its only stable for a few hours. I think my problem is with the processor too. I have seen people with my motherboard (Asus K8N-E Deluxe) hit well over 250 fsb. I have even tried dropping the multiplier and increasing voltage all to no avail. Even dropping the RAM divider didn't help anything. Frankly, I am dissapointed, I was expecting alot more, especially on water. Although, my temps are pretty nice, 36-38 C under load.

-Dave

tikicult said:
2475 on water here (225x11). I can boot to 2530 (230x11), but its only stable for a few hours. I think my problem is with the processor too. I have seen people with my motherboard (Asus K8N-E Deluxe) hit well over 250 fsb. I have even tried dropping the multiplier and increasing voltage all to no avail. Even dropping the RAM divider didn't help anything. Frankly, I am dissapointed, I was expecting alot more, especially on water. Although, my temps are pretty nice, 36-38 C under load.

-Dave

Try lowering the mulitplier on the cpu and raising the HTT. It will atleast rule out if you're cpu limitied or mobo limited.

Edit: How high did you go on the voltage? I went up to 1.7volts but it was less stable than 1.60/1.65v

btf said:
Try lowering the mulitplier on the cpu and raising the HTT. It will atleast rule out if you're cpu limitied or mobo limited.

Edit: How high did you go on the voltage? I went up to 1.7volts but it was less stable than 1.60/1.65v

I did lower the multiplier. I cannot get above 2500. I tried up to 1.725 but it didn't help anything.

-Dave

I'm watering cooling my newcastle 3200+. It can do 8x300 @ 1.65 volts, which the stock cooler should be able to handle. The highest stable clock speed I can get is 11x230, but that requires like 1.95 volts, something no air cooler can do. My DFI mobo doesn't reports the temps right, even with the 9/12 bios, but with a good enough mobo, you should be able to go really far with the 8 multi and not a lot of voltage.

Edit: tikicult, I had a K8NE beofre I got the DFI. That board doesn't have a fully working sata lock and won't even post at anything higher than 230 mhz if you have sata drives. (at least that from my expirience and from anandtech's review) if you have any sata drive, that could be why its not fully stable at 230mhz

I can run my 3200+ just fine a 225x11 right out of the box with a lk948U. I haven't tried higher yet.

MetsFan978 said:
I'm watering cooling my newcastle 3200+. It can do 8x300 @ 1.65 volts, which the stock cooler should be able to handle. The highest stable clock speed I can get is 11x230, but that requires like 1.95 volts, something no air cooler can do. My DFI mobo doesn't reports the temps right, even with the 9/12 bios, but with a good enough mobo, you should be able to go really far with the 8 multi and not a lot of voltage.

Edit: tikicult, I had a K8NE beofre I got the DFI. That board doesn't have a fully working sata lock and won't even post at anything higher than 230 mhz if you have sata drives. (at least that from my expirience and from anandtech's review) if you have any sata drive, that could be why its not fully stable at 230mhz

Damn. I did not know that. That really sucks cause I have a Raptor and another drive connected to the SATA. Looks like I need to start shopping for a new motherboard. I know there has to be a better OC left in my equipment, especially with water.

-Dave

I have an MSI K8T Neo Platinum, and as someone said (and others) they are very unreliable with temps. Is there anyway to fix this?

Nightrain said:
I have an MSI K8T Neo Platinum, and as someone said (and others) they are very unreliable with temps. Is there anyway to fix this?

Appartently the newer bios's were supposed to fix it. But it certainly hasn't for me. Depending on this bios it can read idle from 30C to 60C. Rebooting makes it change + or - 20C depends on how it feels I guess...

I got the AMD enthusiast bundle (Asus motherboard, 3200+ and Tt Venus HSF) a couple of months ago. That's not stock cooling, but the heatsink isn't anything special, especially with the weak fan on it. That HSF and CPU hit 2.4GHz stable. Since I replaced it with a Zalman CNPS7000A, I can get 2.5GHz with just a small bump in voltage.

btf said:
Appartently the newer bios's were supposed to fix it. But it certainly hasn't for me. Depending on this bios it can read idle from 30C to 60C. Rebooting makes it change + or - 20C depends on how it feels I guess...
which bios are you using? every bios from the official 1.4 release onward has fixed the problem for me...

I just got a 3200+, KV8-Pro and Zalman 7000a.. my cpu never goes below 42 and spike to at least 64.. I think I messed up the AS5, I'm going to pull the Zalman off and have a peek..

I am also curious to how high I can get it, but can't try till I get my temps down.

guess im one of the lucky ones. I have a newcastle CG revision 3200+ and DFI UT board and run over 2600mhz using the stock heatsink. I also have a DVD dual layer NEC drive and a raptor in it. XMS PC3500 ram to boot. Just got the proc and board. love um! Hoping to reach at least 2750mhz with a waterblock and better ram.

phas3d

Im @ 2420 @ stock volts with the stock heatsink that came with the AMD SPP bundle. Im running it @ 220x11 since this board doenst have a AGP lock. Im going to be buying a Kv8-pro soon to allow me to run up to 250ish wiht 1:1 memory. This CPU has posted @ 2500 without any problems, just cant run any AGP stuff cause my 9800 pro doenst like high AGP freqs. But this chip runs like a champ, 38C idle and 43C load according to this boards reading. I know most boards have problems reading the newcastles temps, not sure how accurate asus's temps are.. but they seem to be where they should be.

i got my 3000+ to 2.2 i can go higher but i need better ram and a mobo with working PCI locks

I run my 3200+ newcastle core at 11x225 = 2475mhz(could go higher but not my motherboard) using a coolermaster hyper 6. Could do it on stock cooling too..

MetsFan978 said:
My DFI mobo doesn't reports the temps right, even with the 9/12 bios, but with a good enough mobo, you should be able to go really far with the 8 multi and not a lot of voltage.

What do you consider better than the DFI? I'm not asking because I'm a DFI fan boy, but rather I'm looking to upgrade soon and was planning on the LANParty UT board. What would you recommend?

I got my 3200+ Newcastle running on an Abit KV-8 Pro
With fairly decent stability, i get 11x235... 2585mhz... but I figure I don't need the speed yet,so I run it stock...
Oh, I have a Koolance Exos, with the Koolance blocks
as you know, NC temp readings are issued, so I don't rely on mobo
but the Koolance shows between 25-35c... my house is pretty cold. ;)

krizzle said:
I got my 3200+ Newcastle running on an Abit KV-8 Pro
With fairly decent stability, i get 11x235... 2585mhz... but I figure I don't need the speed yet,so I run it stock...
Oh, I have a Koolance Exos, with the Koolance blocks
as you know, NC temp readings are issued, so I don't rely on mobo
but the Koolance shows between 25-35c... my house is pretty cold. ;)

yea, the temp has never been right for me on the DFI board, although it they got it right in the latest bios versions for the gigabyte board I had before this one.

as far as oc'ing goes, my newcastle has been behaving oddly. I'll get it "prime stable" at an oc (like 315 htt, 8 multi, 1.7 v) and it'll run for ten hours+, as long as my graphics card wasn't OC'd. OC Card, reboot, game, reboot, run prime95 and it'll crash out in under 5 minutes. lowered the HTT to 300, 8 multi, 1.7 v and it was prime stable again for full day - then out of nowhere prime will crash within the first few minutes running it (coincidentally when I set the OC on the videocard to apply at startup).

At first I was worried it was heat related and the video card OC thing was a fluke. I was using a Thermaltake Venus 12 fan at 5500 rpms (also 48+db) which put the temp at 40C idle and 63C load (but my temps are ~10-13C off compared to the gigabyte temps). I upgraded my fan to a thermalright xp-120 and my new temps are 39C idle and 61C load (using a Panaflo M1A). Ambient room temperature is ~21C (70 F). With the gigabyte board, my idle was around 27C and 43C OC'd to 2.5ghz (250 x 10) - no voltage adjustments.

I've got the video card on it's own 12v rail, the HDD's, floppy and CDRW drives all run off the other. Voltages looked good, but I suppose I could look closer.

I've heard comments that the lower cpu voltage was more stable so I'm looking into it from there. If I can't get a stable OC soon, I may pick up a 3400+ clawhammer as a comparison.

(cf)Eclipse said:
which bios are you using? every bios from the official 1.4 release onward has fixed the problem for me...

A lot of people still have the problem. Just check the MSI forums. I tried 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.48b? 1.52...

For overclocking, anything above 1.3 bios is not stable. I tried the vhammer thing and it didn't change anything. So I run the 1.3 and I don't look at temps anymore let the f'er fry! :D

I was hoping to get 2600mhz off this CPU but the highest I got so far was 2390 stable, I have the Abit KV8 pro 1.1 with the multiplier lock and I have 1 gig Kingston value ram.

Now my stock (2.2) temps are HIGH ~50, but i'm not sure if it's the board reporting them incorrectly, this board is the buggiest board i've ever seen. Hopefully they'll release another 200 updates and it will fix everything.

Now, I think i need to get a new heatsink, and some better ram. Any suggestions ?

btf said:
A lot of people still have the problem. Just check the MSI forums. I tried 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.48b? 1.52...

For overclocking, anything above 1.3 bios is not stable. I tried the vhammer thing and it didn't change anything. So I run the 1.3 and I don't look at temps anymore let the f'er fry! :D
it all depends on the system, which is why msi is releasing so many bios'es.. it seems that they're trying to find what settings with with various revisions and ram types...
for me, anything before 1.3 oc'ed like crap... and 1.3 was ok. 1.55b works the best for me though.. i've been able to run the ram up to 240mhz (not quite stable) and i have two sticks..
also, 1.3 fixed my temp problems too... maybe it's cause i have a clawhammer.

ok, i don't want to hijack the thread, but as so many pros hang around here with exactly my mobo/CPU combo i thought i might ask. you can send me PMs in order not to go off-topic...

ok, i'm new to overclocking an a64, so i got a couple of basic questions:
- what ratio does the HT multiplier set?
- where can i cahnge the RAM ratio as in p4 boards?
- what do i aim for? high 'FSB'? hi HT multiplier?
- how far do ppl normally raise the voltage on a64s?
- got two corsair twinx 512MB pc3200 cl2 flying about, what timings best to aim for?

thanks in advance,
j

(cf)Eclipse said:
1.55b works the best for me though.. i've been able to run the ram up to 240mhz (not quite stable) and i have two sticks..

where did you get the 1.55b? can't find it anywhere. i'm currently running @11x220 HT link set to 4x and get stellar temp-readings (66°C under load in priume95). so far it's rock stable but these readings make me feel uncomfortable... 1.4 was an absolute nogo for me to, couldn't even boot at anything above 210, so i might try the 1.55b...

edit: ah yeah, almost forgot: i flashed to BIOS rev. 1.4 just to see if my temp-readings would be different. i get 34°C idle and 55° under load with that BIOS. checked my Zalman 700CU and it seems to sit there just fine... still seems way off to me, tho. :confused:

Im not using stock cooling, im using SLK-948U with a thermalright smart fan

Athlon 64 3000 stable:
2.4ghz @ 1.55v
2.5ghz @ 1.60v
2.6ghz @ 1.72v

600mhz overclock = :cool:

1.55b bios thread

ht multi sets the final hypertransport speed from the htt speed. right now, i'm running mine at 240x4, which makes a final speed of 960mhz

- where can i change the RAM ratio as in p4 boards?
in the bios.. but where it is in the bios varies. in mine, i have a pages called "cell" where i can set all my clock speeds and stuff. within there is a ram setting page where i can set the divider and timings.

you sound aim for as much mem bandwidth as you can get while having tight timings, while still having a high cpu speed. the ht speed doesn't matter too much as long as it stays above 500-600mhz, so it's ok to lower the ht multi in search of higher memory/cpu speeds

depends on the cooling.. the highest i'll be willing to go for every day use is 1.65v with my zalman cooler.. with water i'd go as high as my board would let me. (1.8v)

- got two corsair twinx 512MB pc3200 cl2 flying about, what timings best to aim for?
as low as you can get them stable.. i have kingston hyperx that i run at 2-2-2-6-1t @ 200mhz. just make sure that if all else fails, you have the command rate at 1t, not 2t.. a64's memory performance improves significantly when memory is changed from 2t to 1t..

(cf)Eclipse said:
1.55b bios thread

ht multi sets the final hypertransport speed from the htt speed. right now, i'm running mine at 240x4, which makes a final speed of 960mhz

- where can i change the RAM ratio as in p4 boards?
in the bios.. but where it is in the bios varies. in mine, i have a pages called "cell" where i can set all my clock speeds and stuff. within there is a ram setting page where i can set the divider and timings.

you sound aim for as much mem bandwidth as you can get while having tight timings, while still having a high cpu speed. the ht speed doesn't matter too much as long as it stays above 500-600mhz, so it's ok to lower the ht multi in search of higher memory/cpu speeds

depends on the cooling.. the highest i'll be willing to go for every day use is 1.65v with my zalman cooler.. with water i'd go as high as my board would let me. (1.8v)

as low as you can get them stable.. i have kingston hyperx that i run at 2-2-2-6-1t @ 200mhz. just make sure that if all else fails, you have the command rate at 1t, not 2t.. a64's memory performance improves significantly when memory is changed from 2t to 1t..

well... a serious, big, fat thanks!

one more question to the K8N Neo Platinum users: even at stock everything and relaxed memory timings i have quite some 'lag' when the system boots into winXP (sp2): everything *seems* to have loaded up, but it takes quite some time until i have a network connection and i can start the explorer. happens on all four of the ones i have sitting in front of me here - is that normal or am i screwing things up? i cannot imagine how, as i reinstalled windows from scratch and installed nothing more that a virus scanner and the latest drivers for nForce, audio and liveUpdate...

My system does the same, it's running on much older hardware at the moment tho... Only got the AV and one other app launching at startup tho, it's kinda annoying but I don't reboot much so meh... It gets sluggish when I re-maximize browser windows with lots of tabs open after letting the system idle for a long while too, even though only the monitor's set to sleep. My guess is it's starved for more RAM (384mb here).

maybe it's an nforce kind of thing? i noticed it at a friends house on his XP setup, too. lack of RAM is unlikely, as all four of the rigs has a gig of it.

wizzackr said:
one more question to the K8N Neo Platinum users: even at stock everything and relaxed memory timings i have quite some 'lag' when the system boots into winXP (sp2): everything *seems* to have loaded up, but it takes quite some time until i have a network connection and i can start the explorer. happens on all four of the ones i have sitting in front of me here - is that normal or am i screwing things up? i cannot imagine how, as i reinstalled windows from scratch and installed nothing more that a virus scanner and the latest drivers for nForce, audio and liveUpdate...
mine doesn't do that, and i have a lot of stuff installed that loads at boot.. consider checking for spyware

(cf)Eclipse said:
mine doesn't do that, and i have a lot of stuff installed that loads at boot.. consider checking for spyware

that's what i thought, but all 4 of them are just installed from scratch up on brand new harddrives - strange... especaially as you have an almost identical system except for the RAM. what OS/sp are you running XP sp2?

on a sidenote: how comes your temp-readings are so low? even with the 1.55 BIOS revision i get 37ish readings idle - again on all 4 rigs. doublechecked the heatsink (same as yours) and used AS3.

it's a little slower now that i have sp2 in, but it's not terribly bad. trillian loads and connects within 2-5 seconds of the desktop showing up.
and my temps.. well i'm in rochester, and it's about 50ºF out, and my windows are open. i'm actually idling at 19ºC, 1.2ghz and 1v (i do my own cool&quiet with clockgen :D) something makes me doubt the validity of those readings though, even if it's technically a 5-9º rise above ambient
i also use as5, not that it would really make much of a difference...

Back