Votes: 58 51.3%
  • Ive been Converted and now see the light

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Just Testing the waters

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • INTEL POWNZ

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
AMD currently, but if more advent comes with Pentium M's on the desktop, I know where I'll be going.

Whichever is best at the moment.

All of the computers I can remember:
K6-2
P3
2xP3
P4C
AXP
P-M
A64

Just testin the waters. I own:

AMD XP Barton
AMD 64 Winchester
Intel Celeron
Intel H/T Processor lappy (unsure of core)

I won't touch this poll. For one I see it as a flame war waiting to happen. Secondly, I purchase the best performing solution I can afford. Right now, the AMD solutions are better performing for the applications I use my machine for. Therefore AMD has had my business for both the computers I have, and from what I've seen, that's likely to stay the case for some time, unless Intel makes a major change.

I wouldn't go AMD or Intel if one or the others platform wasn't stable or had issues that I would have a difficult or impossible task overcomming.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I won't touch this poll. For one I see it as a flame war waiting to happen. Secondly, I purchase the best performing solution I can afford. Right now, the AMD solutions are better performing for the applications I use my machine for. Therefore AMD has had my business for both the computers I have, and from what I've seen, that's likely to stay the case for some time, unless Intel makes a major change.

I wouldn't go AMD or Intel if one or the others platform wasn't stable or had issues that I would have a difficult or impossible task overcomming.
dude, AMD is the best CPU there will ever be. Ever. Ever. intel sucks, end of story

tongue.gif

I've been buying AMD processors since 1998. I believe it was a K6 1200MHz. (edit oops!)

AMD rules!

Motley said:
I've been buying AMD processors since 1998. I believe it was a K6 1200MHz. (edit oops!)

AMD rules!

If only you were the AMD spokesman!

GO AMD! :)

/sigh

Intel CPUs are just too expensive. Only Intel I have ever afforded was Intel Celeron II 800MHz. I bought it used and paid the same price for CPU+mobo combo that new CPU cost in shop. It totally smashed my friends Duron PCs when I OCd it to 800@1066MHz. That was during AMDs heat problems. I later bought a 1100MHz Tualatin Celeron (it OCd to 1540MHz) but my mobo died after a month or two and I bought AMD Athlon XP1800+ and ECS K7S5A. After that I have always had AMD CPUs.
Only problem I have ever had with AMD products is this mobo I'm currently using. It doesn't boot with Venice CPUs if I don't press the power button and PSUs power switch simultaneously. It hangs to boot screen when not finding HDs and sometimes it doesn't find the KB. However if I manage to get to Windows it works just fine. No problems at all, it's stable and rock solid.

just built my first amd system(check my sig)
other than that i started with a 486 dx2/66mhz, went to a pentium II 233(ran at 266mhz).
then had a celeron 300A@450. then got 366s on a bp6 running at 550.
if i remember correctly went to a 933 pentium III after that...then a p4 2.4C running at 3ghz. went to a p4 [email protected] for about 3 weeks and didnt like the heat or the negligible speed increase. i have ALWAYS used Abit/Intel but this is my first time using Asus and AMD.
I like it so far. once i get my 7800gtx in next week im sure i'll like it even more.

Where's the option for using whatever is best right now? That is the correct option for me, and I didn't vote because I didn't see it. I always look at price/performance and judge accordingly.

Must admit i'm getting a bit disenchanted with AMD - So I guess this probably means their suceeding as amajor player :eek:

1) Cpu Quality - I Understand that by having a relativelly narrow band 200mhz this enables AMD to grade CPUs & reduce produvction costs.
However why do we then find that CPU quality varies down 2 weeks. for example Disappointed 0451 EPMW - Does this implty that AMD seeks to maintain a constant output & quality levels are allowed to drop.

2) Have seen in turn MSI, DFI & other mobo manufacturers slated for getting various mobo features screwed .The real reasons for this have been found to be down to AMD changing specs without publishing the changes.

3) Opteron 939 - I'm still trying to get my hread round thie latest idea of AMD.
They release an Opteron based 939 CPU, which has a superior memory controller than the AMD Desktop processors & in some cases cheaper.

Now up till this time the Server/workstation sector has been 940. AMD however now want
2 keep this 939 Opteron in that Server/workstation sector so we enter this twighlight zone where virtually all mobo manufacturers except 4 Asrock servicing the Desktop/Enthusiast sector cannot support the 939 Opteron - cos AMD won't let them.

The result as we have seen particularly in the UK is an unsuprising rush 4 these CPUs with very little stock anywhere.

Now it seems AMD marketing are reallly, finally getting their act together:- Opterons - Get 'em while you can! So the empty shelves u c now are likely 2 remain empty.

So on balance from being a David taking on Goliath(Intel) of a few years ago, I think AMD have matured & are adopting policies which are al all 2 familiar, Intel & Redmond.

I don't mean to be a dick but... FUCK INTEL

Who turned down a Dual Core competition? NOT AMD

Lets you know who sucks ass now a days.

TheLonelySwedish said:
Pentium M owns. End of discussion. Go to a real Overclocking website and you'll understand.
Pentium M = expensive.
Mobo supporting Pentium M = expensive.
AMD offers much better bang for buck.

I had a p4 HT and converted to amd venice.

Only thing I missed was playing game and having a virus scan at the same time and being able to fry bacon on my case. Other than those two amd is cool

Ahh yes. The move the AMD was an easy decision for me (Long story below)

In the early 90's my parents bought a 286. This really opened up my eyes to how much cooler computer gaming was than console gaming (I was 8 or 9 years old and DOOM was so cool) Next came the insanely powerful Pentium 60mhz computer. WOW, the SVGA desktop was to cool. CD-ROM's and the internet were cutting edge.

In 96' or 97' I finally got a hand-me-down Pentium 100 computer to bail me out of the slow hell that had become the P60. My first overclock happened on that P100. Got it up to 120mhz on stock cooling. The difference made Half-Life 1 one tollerable. About this time, I splurged on a good used soundcard and used a 3dfx Voodoo 1 card. This was well behind the flagship P2 450mhz and Voodoo2 SLI. Then I got tired of being so far behind. I decided to lessen the gap between my PC and the then flagship PCs.

I was a sophomore in highschool. My parents weren't going to foot the bill on a PC just so I could play games. Once I had my driver's licence for a few months, I started going into this local mom-and-pop computer shop. After doing some talking, I learned that I finally had enough cash to get a 300mhz K6-2 CPU, and an AT form factor Soyo AGP/PCI/ISA motherboard.

Man did I bite! The K6-2 chips were dirt cheap, right in my budget. The mobo allowed 2 kinds of ram, so I was able run my old ram until I was able to afford PC100 SD-RAM. I could later fill the AGP slot for uber graphics performance. All of these features and cheap prices made AMD the my only choice. I've never switched back to Intel. I continued to upgrade my K6-2 machine until it wound up with 192MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP - $170 very well spent

Since this time I had:

Duron 600mhz @ 1Ghz
Athlon 1.33Ghz
Athlon XP 1700+
Athlon Mobile XP 2400+
Now the system in sig below.

Thank you AMD.

intel cpus currently suck compared to amds.. in just about all aspects...
but i have a feeling that meorem or whatever intel will come out with in late 06 will change all of this... i think it'll take the lead, for the first time in a long time, even amoung us enthusiasts..

itll almost cirtainly provide a better performance per watt ratio.

who else agrees disagrees?

It's been AMD for me since I got my K6-2 300 in late 1998 (way back when good cheap Pentium MMX 233s were hard to find). And I'll probably never switch back to Intel on the desktop front.

My very first modern computer that my dad bought 10 years ago was an AMD K6-2 233 MHz, so I was born with AMD in my blood! However, over the years I moved to Pentium III and then Pentium 4. Now here I am with an unused x2 4400+ in a box, waiting to see the light. I'm so close, I can almost taste it.

my first comp was built around a PII 350 on a bx chipset

went thru many PIII slot one upgrades and bounced from via and intel chipsets

then got into the T-Bird's and then the XP's

then jumped on the PIV 2.4C bandwagon with a vapo

went to A64 754 platform

did the A64 FX-53 thing

now running x2 +4400

...aah ...life is good

:)

[H]

Been running AMD's since k6 200, but I go where the price and performance is. I've built almost even between the two, just wish I had sony's ps3 cell to play with. ;)

IAmSpoli said:
I don't mean to be a dick but... FUCK INTEL

Who turned down a Dual Core competition? NOT AMD

Lets you know who sucks ass now a days.

Waiting for flame wars to begin! :)

I'll sit back with my bag O marshmellows!! :p

i have to admit, i don't understand for the life of me why people like companies. i like products. to favor one company over another is silly, and my money goes to whoever makes the best product when i'm purchasing. right now that happens to be amd, but i have products from both companies in my house.

Sigh.. f@nb0y's = silliness. Do research, get the best at that moment and go from there. Its not a matter of absolute "I will ONLY get a processor by XXX". that shows an exteme narrowmind.

Point in case... I'm going over to AMD this round due to the X2 (Opteron) series. Not a matter of f@nb0y-ism, just whats best at this moment.

History of my PC's: AppleIIc, 8036SX-16 (POWER BABY!), P233, P600EB (bad choice), AMD 1400+, AMD 2000+, and now P3.0C.

Supershanks said:
3) Opteron 939 - I'm still trying to get my hread round thie latest idea of AMD.
They release an Opteron based 939 CPU, which has a superior memory controller than the AMD Desktop processors & in some cases cheaper.

The is another complete fallacy. The memory controller in the 939 Opteron is no different than that of the Athlon 64 and X2. Just the as the FX series in socket 939 has the same memory controller as the A64. However rumors still persist to this day that this is the case. This wasn't the case with the FX line since S940 FX's were compared to S754 Athlon 64's. Dual channel vs. single channel is the only reason the FX had a "superior" memory controller.

With the Opteron, only the S940 has any kind of "superiority" in the memory controller. That too is somewhat of a fallacy since the reason for it's "superiority" is based on the Registered ECC requirement which allows the Opteron to use all four DIMM sockets without latency or timing penalties. Yet, the Registered ECC requirement slows the memory interface down. Thus, it's not really "superior" so much as it is different.

Supershanks said:
Now up till this time the Server/workstation sector has been 940. AMD however now want
2 keep this 939 Opteron in that Server/workstation sector so we enter this twighlight zone where virtually all mobo manufacturers except 4 Asrock servicing the Desktop/Enthusiast sector cannot support the 939 Opteron - cos AMD won't let them.

They are intended as OEM processors for uni-processor workstations and servers. They are intended for a different market. The idea is to break the Opteron name into lower end server markets. Big badass multi-processor servers are actually a smaller group. Many servers in many companies are uni-processor Pentium 4's and the like.

im pretty sure the e3 venices had some kind of memory controller errata that was fixed with the e6 and wasnt on any opterons

You get what you can afford. If money is no object, you think what you will be doing most with the computer. Most the times, choose AMD, sometimes for video encoding and some other things. Go Intel. It's not a war people. They're processors for a computer. Use them.

im partial to AMD... but none of those options really suit me.

i love the athlon 64, X2, and the Pentium M. favorite right now being the X2

i also have a thing for pentium 3's :p i <3 my dual 1.4's

Back