How long do keyboards last?

I have a Microsoft 600 keyboard, which I've had for a couple of years now, and I was wondering how long keyboards last.

Commander Shepard

Supreme [H]ardness
Longest I had a keyboard last was about 4 years. It was a Ducky tenkeyless. My (at the time) 3yr old niece killed it when she dumped a juice box on it. My fault for letting her sit in my lap while watching a video at my computer. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: maro
like this

pendragon1

Fully [H]
depends on build quality and how you use/treat them. I have a k/b from the mid90s that works just fine still, ps2 of course.
edit: it says "designed for win95" on it but no date.
edit 2: and its micron branded?! not sure if its the old oem or the ram guys....

Last edited:

Nenu

[H]ardened
Depends what you do with them and how good the build quality is.
Good quality mechanical are more likely to give longest life.

I bought a Gskill KM780 RGB keyboard (mech brown swtches) over 5 years ago and while annoyingly loud its been a great keyboard.
I dont see it dying any day soon.
I got probably 3 years from previous none mech keyboards, especially Logitech, they die for none key press reasons, gave up on them after not much more than 1 year with a G19 when the display failed to work. When that happened keyboard lighting went up the spout.

Last edited:

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
My Corsair K90 (first gen) was still going strong 8 years later, i finally upgraded because I was getting bored of it and wanted a change (RGB).
Mechanical Keyboards last way, way, way longer than membrane keyboards.

Before that k90, i was going through mid-tier membrane keyboards about once every two years.

Reactions: maro
like this

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd
Most keyboards have an unfortunate end before they wear out. Or they get so filthy that buying a new one is more appealing than cleaning.

I think I've thrown out one keyboard because it stopped working well without having an accident in my 30+ years of keyboard use. That said, I can't account for all the keyboards either.

maro

Gawd
Too many variables, just like mice. Use til it dies. Maybe tomorrow maybe 20 years.

If you can go 20 years without spilling coffee or soda on it you're doing well.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Most keyboards won't die for mechanical reasons (even membrane keyboards). They generally just get dirty over time, especially if you have a habit of eating food near your keyboard and/or don't wash your hands very often.

In most cases, when keys start to get mushy, it's just because you have a plastic-on-plastic surface that is getting dirty/sticky. I've restored old membrane keyboards to being almost brand-new just by removing all the keys, cleaning everything, applying a tiny amount of white lithium grease to the inside of each key socket, and then putting all the keys back.

My Unicomp 101 keyboard has lasted me since 2005, though I have had to remove the keycaps and clean it several times. I've personally had cheap OEM keyboards that come with a prebuilt system last me about 10 years (longer than the life of the system they came with), and I've heard of quality keyboards lasting even longer. I'm thinking the life span is about 10-15 years for a cheaper keyboard, and maybe 30 years for a good one, assuming you don't drop it or spill anything in it.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I have an old Logitech K250 that's still going strong after nearly 15 years. It has a bunch of weird tribal patterns on it, which date it nicely :p
Back when a $20 keyboard had no rollover restrictions and would last forever! To take care of it, I just spray it down (getting in as many cracks as possible) with electronics cleaner every couple years.

Zeoclang

n00b
In my experience most keyboard failures are the result of dirt build up or liquid spills causing the keys to stick. I have seen the print worn off of heavy business use keyboards but I don't recall ever coming across one that was totally dead.

Nenu

[H]ardened
In my experience most keyboard failures are the result of dirt build up or liquid spills causing the keys to stick. I have seen the print worn off of heavy business use keyboards but I don't recall ever coming across one that was totally dead.

I had a Saitek Eclipse II lit keyboard that suffered multiple issues after 2 to 3 years.
The lighting became so dim as to not be worth using.
A couple of keys (right shift and enter) became difficult to get a response from.
Taking it apart and cleaning the membranes didnt help.

Some do wear out.

Susquehannock

2[H]4U
For me it used to be about one a year. Seemed to find a way to spill ale or coffee on it. Now I have completely changed my set up and habits. This Dell keyboard has lasted me about six years so far.

That said ... using a IBM model M with good ol' AT/DIN connector with PS/2 adapter on my retro Win98/voodoo4 gaming rig. Been using off and on since the 90s.

Armenius

Fully [H]
I had an Ideazon-branded Zboard that I used for about 18 years before replacing it with a K95. The plastic in the frame just wore down to the point of not being secure anymore due to the interchangeable keys. Just like my mouse I figured it was time for something new and fancy instead of bothering to fix it. I think I bought the Zboard for $40 brand new at CompUSA, and it came with both the standard 102-key keyset and the FPS gaming one. I bought I Doom 3 and Counter-Strike keyset for it, too.

1619814729624.png

1619814752322.png

1619814824101.png

Denjoy

n00b
I'm still using the same one I bought 10 years ago. Filco Majestouch TKL Cherry Browns.

The previous keyboard was some $10 Microsoft membrane which I stopped using because I spilled beer on the left side and the shift key was always sticking. It drove me nuts.

Just don't drink around them. :)