How is your Seagate 7200.11 with CC1H firmware doing?

Has your Seagate 7200.11 with CC1H firmware given you any trouble?

• No, flawless

Votes: 65 79.3%
  • Yes, this sucks (please elaborate below)

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters
I'm guessing it will be a refurb, but we'll see. According to their customer warranty statement under 'What Will Seagate Do?' it says "Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Seagate specifications."

I'll post back after I get the replacement.

Yeah, I figured that to be more-than-likely that it'd be a refurb they send back, but who knows, maybe they're getting so many RMAs because of the firmware bug that they ran out of bricked/refurbed/recertified drives to send out. ;)

So far I've got 4 of these 1.5TB drives that shipped with CC1H. One has been running as my Time Machine drive for 6 months now without issue and I just bought three brand new ones and added all four into a RAID 5 on a RocketRAID 3520. Flawless so far.

Yeah, I figured that to be more-than-likely that it'd be a refurb they send back, but who knows, maybe they're getting so many RMAs because of the firmware bug that they ran out of bricked/refurbed/recertified drives to send out. ;)

It appears my replacement is a new drive. HD tune shows it having 0 hours of power on time and there was nothing in the packaging to indicate it was a refurb. :cool:

I was so farking pissed when my Seagate 500gig took a shit for no reason when I did a case swap over and I lost all my data I didn't back up and those cheap cockers at Seagate didn't even give me a newer model, they sent me the same damn refurbished model with god knows what firmware. Maybe thats what I get for doing an advance replacement. I'm going back to Western Digital after this hell.

I have no brand loyalty but mine just died after about a year of use. 2 others are still running. I also run WD and samsung drives. :)

Sending off for a refurb tomorrow.

Any brand drive can fail, but this is the first one I have had that is just suddenly not recognized by the computer but still spins up like normal... Thats kinda scary, luckily I have already recovered the data onto a spaere 1TB WD green drive from my WHS box.

I was looking to buy 8 of the 1.5TB models until I read up on all the rumors and got ran back to WD land.

I was so farking pissed when my Seagate 500gig took a shit for no reason when I did a case swap over and I lost all my data I didn't back up and those cheap cockers at Seagate didn't even give me a newer model, they sent me the same damn refurbished model with god knows what firmware. Maybe thats what I get for doing an advance replacement. I'm going back to Western Digital after this hell.
WD would have sent the same model too bro. no reason to send a newer one if they still have old ones in stock.

I was looking to buy 8 of the 1.5TB models until I read up on all the rumors and got ran back to WD land.
I have 8 1.5s in raid 6. hella sweet bro!

Just pulled my 1.5tb 7200.11's to move them to a different spot in my WHS box, plugged them back in and attempted to boot. Hangs at the BIOS screen and the drives click. Unplugged them and WHS boots fine. Brought the drives over to my desktop and I can see the data fine, Seatools says they are ok, but WHS just doesn't like them.

They are CC1H drives from the 2 for $200 Dell deal. I'm copying data off them now and will test further before I decide what to do with them. Might RAID 1 them in a non-critical role like the TV show recording place for my HTPC. :eek:

Well, I figured I'd go with WD GP's eventually because of their lower power usage, just didn't figure so soon. :(

NCIX has these on sale for $125.99 Cdn at the moment (until 8/18) but I figure I'd wait for other 1.5TB models to come down in price to under $130.

I bought two ST31500341AS 1.5TB dirves from CDW in October 09 which shipped with Revision CC1H, after about 15 days 1 drive started making a clicking sound, then Windows 7 started locking up and with Event Log entries about timeouts to device.. I contacted support who weren't aware of any problems with this drive (I suggested he do a Google search for Barracude 1.5TB) he then sugggested I run the SeaTools for DOS which came back failing the short test, ran the long test and SeaTools said it fixed 6 errors. The PC ran another week fine after reboot then locked up again, now SeaTools is saying the main OS drive is "not respondiing to commands". Sounds like drive is dead after 30 days. I called Seagate Tech Suppot who check both drive serial numbers and said there were no firmware updates. They then transfered me to Warranty Support for a replacement drive.

The Reallocated Sectors Count for my last surviving CC1H 1.5TB drive started shooting up in the past few days, so it doesn't look good. Its 3 brothers and sisters all bit the dirt in the past year, and I've been migrating to WD green drives for large storage ever since.

Some say the new Seagates have less problems, but all my new WD drives are in perfect health as well, so I'm going to stay away from Seagate until their reputation is a bit more consistent again.

Bought 1,250$ of Seagate 1.5TB drives through Amazon 6 months ago. Just now trying to install them. These were in the bad serial number batch, but with the allegedly OK firmware of CC1H. Guess what? They all suck. Any of the drives mounted in my Burly 5 Bay e-sata box as JOBD all auto dismount from my MacPro. It's too late to return them to Amazon, and Seagate (I now call them SeaCrap) will say the firmware is OK, and I am stuck with 1,250$ of GARBAGE. Unusable bricks.

Maybe Toyota and Seagate are owned by the same company.

I will put all the drives in a new Toyota with Tiger Woods driving, and tell them all to hit the road.

Thanks SeaCrap.

I'm going to guess it's the port multiplier chip in that enclosure that's the culprit, EVEN THOUGH another brand of drive like a Hitachi or Western Digital would probably be fine in same enclosure. I have 8 of those Seagate 1.5Tb drives with CC1H firmware, mostly because I've been too lazy to ebay them, but if you get them hooked up to the right equipment they work fine. In my case they're running in Raid6 connected to an Areca 1680 through an HP SAS Expander.

My finding after much testing is that those Seagates are good drives but just temperamental with certain port multiplier and sas expander chips (usually the cheapshit ones, like the ones that end up in low-cost external enclosures and HBA cards). What they charge for that Burly 5-bay is criminal, btw.

There's always ebay if you don't want to deal with the drives. How many did you buy?

I would like to change my vote to "Yes, this sucks."

My experience:
Reallocated sector count kept climbing. After one year, it was higher than I cared for (~25 and climbing quicker than usual) so I RMA'd it. Of course, shipping takes two weeks, plus another day or two for them to check the drive. I receive the replacement drive and the reallocated sector count begins climbing after two days of use. I email them, have them pay shipping to them this time, and wait another two weeks to receive my replacement drive. This one has a reallocated sector count of 1 and hasn't climbed any higher over the past week that I've been using it. All I can hope is that this drive lasts for a while.

Sad that Seagate, a company who used to be the best and cheapest, is now one of the worst concerning HDD quality.

I have two Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB (ST31500341AS) drives that I have never updated without any issues at all. They both have the original SD17 firmware. I purchased them in early November 2008 and use them daily. Even though I have not had any issues, would you guys recommend that I move over the contents of each drive to the other and then update the firmware on one drive at a time?

Edit:
I put in the serial numbers of both my drives on Seagate's serial number check page and it says that no updates are available. I thought my two drives are part of the affected group?

Last edited:
So, one thing I'm noticing here is that while we have significantly more people with no problems than no problems, it seems like a lot of the people running 10+ drives (including myself) aren't having issues.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but this thread caught my attention.

I just bought four of these drives, firmware CC1H.

Two came together from Newegg, two together from Amazon. One from each supplier had SMART errors out of the box. (if you blame shipping/packaging, one drive from each supplier is also perfectly fine... Just clarifying...)

I'm already getting click-click-clunk sounds.

But, here's what I find disturbing:

Long story short, I was testing cloning my arrays around on my new system to test that cloning works on Windows 7 before I completely decided on my HD strategy on my new system. Depending on cloning working or not, I was going to potentially make different choices.

Well, cloning works... Sort of?

First, I've tried multiple cloning software packages, as that was part of my goal. Two tested are Acronis packages, too. (I've never had Acronis fail me is my point...)

Well, Acronis is irrelevant I believe in all of this anyway.

Long strong short again, I can install 7 to any drives in any configuration.

I can then clone this install to any non-Seagate drive config. And they all work and boot fine. (So, all the cloning software I used worked...)

The reason I tested multiple cloning software packages though?

No matter what program I used, if I attempted to clone onto any Seagate configuration of drives (single drives, RAID array, etc.), they all give up at the 33% mark, every time.

No longer coincidence. And yes, the 33% mark was standard across the board for all cloning software.

But now, the really disturbing part?

Not that the cloning software gave up on cloning to the Seagate drives.

It's the reason why they gave up.

The Seagates drives will make a nice clunk sound at 33%, and TURN THEMSELVES OFF.

I've never experienced this before. If the software is to blame in any way, then why can I clone to my WD or Samsung drives with zero issues?

My impression? Like I said, two straight out of the box have SMART errors. But, all four shut off at 33%.

I'm wondering if there's just something seriously wrong with this model of drives.

Oh, FWIW, if I do a clean install of 7 onto the Seagates in any config, it runs fine. Intel Matrix Storage Manager reports the arrays are fine in testing, and a HDTune scan of the arrays can't get anything to show as wrong, either.

I find this all very weird. Only the cloning software (all of them) can show anything truly off with these drives, but the fact that they turn themselves off is something I've never experienced.

Any input on this? Anyone think I should try to make some serious contact with Seagate on this experience? I mean, IMO none of these drives are even at the RMA point (no failures, and they run fine as long as you don't attempt a clone), but there's still something funky about the behavior of the drives, no?

Did I resurrect too old of a thread? I really was curious about this.

Had the drive running 24/7 for the past 3.5 years. About two years ago, it started throwing smart errors for reallocated sectors count. A month ago, it started dropping out periodically. A quick unplug/replug and it was back in action. After two weeks of this, it would show up with a raw partition and then immediately drop out.

I got a 4tb (another seagate :() to replace it, and after unplugging/replugging over and over, it finally showed up again. Am currently pulling data off it (it's reading at 80MB/s instead of the usual 100+, but at least it's reading).

shit disk.

/thread resurrection

Back