How important is your case design?

• Just give me a box to put my hardware in

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • I want my case to be listed as a tourist attraction

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

n0ob3r

Limp Gawd
I am interested in everyone’s opinion to the value of a nice looking case. Back when there were LAN parties, custom cases were a big deal. However, I don’t see those events coming up as much.

whats everyone’s thoughts?

My case must look clean and orderly, and it must be functional. I don't need a disco dance floor in my case, but a few well placed lights are acceptable.

I'd say medium for me. I like my monolithic 900D. Hate gaudy bloated plastic trim.

Reminds me too much of modern trucks.

Reactions: D-S
like this
Form follows function for me. Which is probably why I have been effectively case-less for the last 12 years. I hate having to fight to gain access to components

Reactions: D-S
like this
My case must look clean and orderly, and it must be functional. I don't need a disco dance floor in my case, but a few well placed lights are acceptable.
Hahaha, I like the analogy. I have been kind of in and out of the PC market for awhile. Back when I was building more PCs it was the cold cathode lights that were a hit. Seems everything is RGB light show =). Not saying its a bad thing, just interesting how things have progressed.

Hahaha, I like the analogy. I have been kind of in and out of the PC market for awhile. Back when I was building more PCs it was the cold cathode lights that were a hit. Seems everything is RGB light show =). Not saying its a bad thing, just interesting how things have progressed.
NGL, I miss the cathode light days.

Space. I can't work with midget cases at all! My Phanteks Enthoo Primo is the last case I purchased and it's been an orgasmic delight to work with. I have a crapload of spinner drives for storage so it's important I have plenty of room for those along with all my WC gear. I want to be able to stick my large mitts in a case without hacking up the shit out of them and bleeding like a prom date inside it.

I looked up the phantek entho primo and this review came up

“If you stub your toe on this thing, you better kiss that toe goodbye.” 😂

however, only seeing good things about it. Will definitely go on my list.

I looked up the phantek entho primo and this review came up

“If you stub your toe on this thing, you better kiss that toe goodbye.” 😂

however, only seeing good things about it. Will definitely go on my list.
Oh yeah, it's freaking huge! I had to build a dolly so I can wheel it around to the workbench when I need to work in it.

Functionality over form. I don't want "just a box." I want a well engineered box.

I want it all best performance (airflow), noise, and aesthetics for RGB and cable management.
It doesnt come with any fans but the Lian Li O11DW checked all those boxes for me.

I picked a case that was form over function, and it will be the last time I do that.

1607190031452.png

These cases have terrible front intake clearance to feed their 200mm fan. I ordered a spare front panel from Phanteks, then took a hole saw/dremel to it, then attached a speaker grille to the hole to clean it up. Knocked off at least 10C at load from my GPU temps (or 11C if I have the panel completely removed). In some cases, this made a difference between the GPU thermal throttling (83C) and not.

1607190271792.png

1607190285502.png

Going to mesh front intake from here on out.

I like 'em dark and silent. A small unobtrusive led indicating that it's powered on is acceptable. I like reading about fancy tourist attraction builds and appreciate the work that goes into them but it's just not my style.

I like 'em dark and silent. A small unobtrusive led indicating that it's powered on is acceptable. I like reading about fancy tourist attraction builds and appreciate the work that goes into them but it's just not my style.
You might like the fractal design series then, you can get solid panels that have sound deadening material on both sides, front and top.
My wife detests noise (since its in our bedroom), I got her a ryzen 3600 build with a itx board and this guy: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-nano-s/black/
I can't even tell its on unless she games and the 1070 GPU fans spin up.

They do have matx and atx versions of it too.

I love fractal, though my current monstrosity is far from small, pretty sure it's well over 50 lbs at this point - it is absolutely silent.

But you don't need to get an XL case unless you're rocking over 10 hard drives. Even then you might be fine with a standard.

I love fractal, though my current monstrosity is far from small, pretty sure it's well over 50 lbs at this point - it is absolutely silent.

But you don't need to get an XL case unless you're rocking over 10 hard drives. Even then you might be fine with a standard.
Pretty sure even the standard define 7 case can still hold a dozen drives if you buy extra trays. (the XL able to do 18-20)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can as well. I just wanted more space to play with.

I like cube style cases. 4 out the last 5 cases for my main rig have been cube style cases, YY-0221, HAF-XB EVO, Corsair Air 540 and Air 740.

I got this SGI machine 20 years ago and was intending on making it into a PC.
IMG_8676.jpg

Zepher I just switched from an xb evo. Just had too much wasted space, imo. But probably a good case if you need lots of storage and like the cube design. Better utilization of the front vent would've been nice, too...I made a 280mm rad work, but it wasn't fun.

Having caught the sff bug about 5 years ago I can’t stand huge cases anymore. Not to say that ATX isn’t desirable and it has to be itx or bust. I’m interested cases that are space optimized and only as large as they need to be. Custom water and big air setups are going to need some room obviously. I have a few Sliger cases now and they are pricey but they are made in the US and built extremely well. As for more budget friendly options I like Fractal and Corsair. The Meshify C is probably the best smallish ATX tower still IMO.

It cannot have a solid front panel. It must be mesh & if possible a bay for an optical drive.

I picked a case that was form over function, and it will be the last time I do that.

View attachment 305960

These cases have terrible front intake clearance to feed their 200mm fan. I ordered a spare front panel from Phanteks, then took a hole saw/dremel to it, then attached a speaker grille to the hole to clean it up. Knocked off at least 10C at load from my GPU temps (or 11C if I have the panel completely removed). In some cases, this made a difference between the GPU thermal throttling (83C) and not.

Going to mesh front intake from here on out.
had this case for about a week, the ATX version. Total POS design wise. Airflow was terrible. I did however like the looks of it. Just wasn't in a position to modify it otherwise I would have kept it.

had this case for about a week, the ATX version. Total POS design wise. Airflow was terrible. I did however like the looks of it. Just wasn't in a position to modify it otherwise I would have kept it.
The ATX Evolv-X version I built for my brother in law is what convinced me to get the mITX case. It was really intuitive, beautiful, and just a pleasure to work on. However with the mid-tower version the thermal issues weren't running us up against the throttle threshold. With mITX, thermal issues are magnified several times over, so I really regret just automatically assuming my thermals would be acceptable with its mITX little brother.

The ATX Evolv-X version I built for my brother in law is what convinced me to get the mITX case. It was really intuitive, beautiful, and just a pleasure to work on. However with the mid-tower version the thermal issues weren't running us up against the throttle threshold. With mITX, thermal issues are magnified several times over, so I really regret just automatically assuming my thermals would be acceptable with its mITX little brother.
Yeah, I don't know what all these companies are thinking in blocking off the main entry point for fresh air. Its a trend that needs to stop immediately.

Back