How hard would it be...

I mean...

Are you talking about this as a custom case design, or as a mod to the existing case?

If it's a mod, it could be done pretty easily, but why in the world would you want to do it? You'd be giving up having expansion slots for basically no reason.

I mean...

Are you talking about this as a custom case design, or as a mod to the existing case?

If it's a mod, it could be done pretty easily, but why in the world would you want to do it? You'd be giving up having expansion slots for basically no reason.

Custom case, prob. can't put it above the GPU right? If Protocase ever gets where it can import reg cad formats that would be great... SFX psus are only like 2.5ish high, so above the gpu might be a yes...

Do you mean above the gpu as in stacked "on top" so that you have one case panel, the gpu, the psu, and then the other case panel?

Perhaps this discussion would be easier with a couple quick sketches. :)

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Do you mean above the gpu as in stacked "on top" so that you have one case panel, the gpu, the psu, and then the other case panel?

Perhaps this discussion would be easier with a couple quick sketches. :)

Yes, it would work right?

"edward78, post: 1042977910, member: 236754"]Yes, it would work right?

Uhhh... It would be possible, yes.

However, you would have to use a blower-style GPU or else both the graphics card and psu wouldn't get enough air. ...And you couldn't block the intake, so you couldn't put anything in front of the PSU.

So basically, it would make the case twice as thick, it would waste a huge amount of space, and it wouldn't actually benefit anything.

I'm sitting here wondering why in the world you would possibly want to do that... Which makes me think that we aren't communicating the same idea to each other. How 'bout you draw a sketch or use a cad program to show me exactly what you're thinking of.

PSU above the GPU: Lian-Li PC-Q19. Does not look like very much cooling for the graphics card though.

Yes, I want no cooling issues... Also a bit wide if layed down, I am more fore a console sized case... I Have this, the PSU cutout above the mb/gpu just a square cutout basally, but you get the idea right??
Xjb3xKm.png

We certainly get the idea that you want to hotbox the PSU :) Review your design as to how much you are saving vertically compared to just having the card plugged into the board and the PSU beside it. I suspect not enough to compensate for cooking the PSU :) In many ways a 1U PSU would be much better -- as industrial they might be better suited for the hot environment and also it's thinner.

Last edited:
That is bad for airflow I see, hmm, think I should just move it & put it on its side by the mb (left side)? If they have 1u psus that do atleast 500w & they are easy to get, I am all for it..... TFX is pretty small, but I don't want to not have enough power... Hmmm, 1u is 8.7 x 1.6 x 3.9 inches that sounds great, no heat issues right?

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, that's what I thought you were suggesting. It's going to have some serious issues with airflow for both the GPU and PSU.

Again, I ask: what's the purpose of that? Why do you want to do it over something more traditional like what the Node 202 is already doing?

Well, if this could be made to work then the GPU could breathe in from the bottom and exhaust to the side while the PSU could intake the back and you'd have a surprisingly compact system with a relatively tall CPU cooler. You will find plenty of discussion of Flex ATX / 1U PSUs here, several cases like the Hahutzy XS, theFirewolfy MI-6, that crazy mATX SLI use one.

Also note that 1U PSU lengths vary widely.

And again, these discussion usually end up with using a Pico style PSU especially since you have https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/g-unique-plug-play-units-pre-order.1404/ these.

Also, you could look at mounting http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Internal-300W-AC-DC-Adapter-with-Active-PFC-and-19VDC-Output.html this on the front of the case, front of the GPU, this http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-300W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html in front of the motherboard, if you were to support up to say 185mm video cards then the case would be <250mm long, about 300mm wide and about 6cm high for the most compact console PC case there is... but you'd need to think hard what sort of CPU and GPU can you cool in that space but perhaps the NH-L9i would fit.

Last edited:
You will find plenty of discussion of Flex ATX / 1U PSUs here, several cases like the Hahutzy XS, the Firewolfy MI-6, that crazy mATX SLI use one.

The MI-6 is designed for a SFX PSU…

Sorry, you are right I mixed up Firewolfy with Freilicht :) Peace.

Back