How good is the PS3 Blu-Ray player?

Yes. There's been some talk that the HDMI transmitter chip the PS3 is using can somehow not handle bitstream of HBR audio codecs, so buying a receiver with support for such codecs only because you hope the PS3 will someday transmit them is a waste.

Personally, I don't expect to be using my PS3 for BR-D forever - especially now that Sony has announced a BR-D mega changer for early 2009. FINALLY.

I don't expect to use mine as a BR-D forever either. I am pinning my hopes on 1080p TruHD digital distributed movies. I can dream, can't I? :cool:

dont mean to hijack the thread but would you guys know of any e-tailer that would ship an Onkyo 605 over to Australia??

I hear you can get them for 250-ish in the states. Unfortunately they are still ridiculously expensive here (equiv to 600+ USD)

Cheers.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD tracks include embedded standard DD5.1 and DTS tracks, respectively. If I select a Dolby True HD track on a blu-ray with my PS3, for example, my receiver picks it up as Dolby Digital 5.1 and it plays fine. Most of them sound quite good in fact. The same holds true for the DTS Master HD tracks.

I haven't looked at the exact standards, but I'm pretty sure that a blu-ray movie release must always have a non-HD audio track. The minimum for this is Dolby Digital 5.1. I've rented more than a dozen blu-ray movies from Netflix and I've never seen one that didn't have at least DD5.1 on it. You don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the clarification... and yeah, I looked at the official bluray site and it showed something about the non-HD tracks being mandatory. Good info on the TrueHD and Master tracks, :).

I don't expect to use mine as a BR-D forever either. I am pinning my hopes on 1080p TruHD digital distributed movies. I can dream, can't I? :cool:

That's not happening for quite awhile... most people still don't have broadband, let alone broadband capable of downloading those or the storage to hold them anytime soon. Plus many like to own a tangible item. You can dream, but just be aware it's a pipe dream for a long time to come.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD tracks include embedded standard DD5.1 and DTS tracks, respectively. If I select a Dolby True HD track on a blu-ray with my PS3, for example, my receiver picks it up as Dolby Digital 5.1 and it plays fine. Most of them sound quite good in fact. The same holds true for the DTS Master HD tracks.
This is the case, to the best of my knowledge. You'll never wind up in a scenario where you can't play a disc because your receiver doesn't support it - worst case, you'll wind up with PCM 2.0 or something. It's how the PS3 handled DTS-HD for a while - it'd just grab the embedded DTS track from it and output/decode that. I was more trying to point out that there's movement to standardize on HBR audio codecs and not PCM, DD, or DTS.

Like I said before, my primary complaint about the PS3 as a BR-D player is the lack of integrated IR control and HDMI-CEC, not so much the bitstreaming.

That's not happening for quite awhile... most people still don't have broadband, let alone broadband capable of downloading those or the storage to hold them anytime soon. Plus many like to own a tangible item. You can dream, but just be aware it's a pipe dream for a long time to come.

Just because not everyone has broadband doesn't mean they can't still make it available to those that do.

Not everyone has a BR player, but they still BR movies. In fact, BR players are in the extreme minority.

Until they go full time digital distribution, I see no reason why they can't offer both. They already offer "720p" digital movies via PSN, XBL Marketplace and iTunes/AppleTV.

There are 1080p/5.1 movie trailers on the Quicktime site. Dish Network has 1080p visuals w/ Dolby 5.1.
We're halfway there :)

Just because not everyone has broadband doesn't mean they can't still make it available to those that do.

Not everyone has a BR player, but they still BR movies. In fact, BR players are in the extreme minority.

Until they go full time digital distribution, I see no reason why they can't offer both. They already offer "720p" digital movies via PSN, XBL Marketplace and iTunes/AppleTV.

Oh, I know, I just mean that lossless 1080P isn't probably in the cards just yet as a primary distribution method, since the market penetration just isn't there. The bitrates don't compare to Blurays I don't think either.

I just took a gamble and went for a 40GB PS3 complete in box for $170 off the 'Bay with "no picture or sound." Here's hoping it works with a reset, if not it's still $320 including the $150 Sony repair fee for a working console, not half bad.

There are 1080p/5.1 movie trailers on the Quicktime site. Dish Network has 1080p visuals w/ Dolby 5.1.
Format and resolution are meaningless without bitrate numbers. I heard about Apple's 1080p trailers, and then found out they were only 9mbit/s. To put this in perspective, that DTS-HD HR soundtrack I talked about in a previous post was 3mbit/s, all by itself.

It's not enough to have 1080p H.264 and DD-THD - you've got to have the high bitrates which make those formats look and sound so good on BR-Ds.

We're halfway there :)

This may be true, but the video and audio bitrates for those Quicktime movies (and likely for the DIsh channels as well) are significantly lower than what you normally see on blu-ray. Resolution doesn't mean jack if the video is over-compressed.

Edit: Didn't see that post by erwos. I guess we've made this pretty clear by now, heh.

For anyone still questioning whether or not Blu-ray is really a big improvement or not:

YES. A Blu-ray played @ 720p at worst is definitely better, more solidity and depth to the image. At best, it is dramaticly better. Most of the Blu-ray transfers for the past 10 months or so have been quite good. So the latter measure of improvement over DVD is very common. 1080p is a bit better than 720p. The difference isn't as dramatic as going from a DVD to 720p blu-ray, but it IS better. Slightly better color blends and a bit more fine detail.

This may be true, but the video and audio bitrates for those Quicktime movies (and likely for the DIsh channels as well) are significantly lower than what you normally see on blu-ray. Resolution doesn't mean jack if the video is over-compressed.

Edit: Didn't see that post by erwos. I guess we've made this pretty clear by now, heh.

Sure - I was over simplifying, but the thing is - that's right now. Thing about how far technology and internet videos have come in the last 2-3 years alone.
I'm just looking ahead and I think that in a few years, we could see options to legally download something with a good (not lossless...but better than Dolby 5.1) audio track.
There seems to be a lot of interest in it and we could always see something like we saw with MP3's. For a while, there was a push for smaller files at the expense of quality because not enough people cared. I wonder if we might see something like that with videos. People might be happy with the 360-like or Quicktime downloads. Quality eventually entered the picture again, but portability and speed outweighed it back in the days when internet speeds were slower.

you set your ps3 to to transmit analog audio to your reciever
the ps3 decodes the hd audio tracks so your reciever does not need to do it itself
so set your ps3 from bitstream to linear pcm

Okay then whats the best setup on the PS3 if I want TrueHD and DTS-HD, I have a Onkyo 674 recieving the audio signal via optical from my PS3 but can also set it up to pass the audio through the HDMI cable if I wanted to.

Sorry to thread jack;)

The PS3 may not be the best per say but it remains a very capable blu-ray player.
Also, the PS3 can be updated online (blu-ray 2.0). This is a feature that is missing with other blu-ray players.

The PS3 may not be the best per say but it remains a very capable blu-ray player.
Also, the PS3 can be updated online (blu-ray 2.0). This is a feature that is missing with other blu-ray players.
This isn't true, and I don't know how that got started. There are several other BR-D players that can receive firmware updates over ethernet.

For the price it is easily the best, i bought mine about 5 months ago strictly for a BD player and I was willing to spend up to $700 on a player, after buying and returning 3 different players i bought the PS3.

The newly announced slim version appears to add HDMI CEC.
I have HDMI CEC on other components and it is absolutely awesome. Far better than using a programmable remote. That said I'm not trading in my 60 GB backward compatible PS3 to get a model with HDMI CEC. I can live with using 2 remotes.

I'd be interested to know if there are any other (especially quality) differences in the video playback from the slim version.

Good job on the resurrection. Got to love when year old threads pop up :)

The PS3 is an excellent player.

Its right at the top for movie compatibility. Has frequent firmware updates. Supports all current Blu-ray features and will likely support any in the future the don't require extra hardware. Its also probably the fastest loading player---if not then its definitely second fastest.

You can get slightly better image quality from a couple of other players, but you will spend more and will need a pretty nice tv and probably back to back comparison to notice.

If you have an old reciever with Analog stuff, you won't be able to get fancy audio from the PS3, so you'd need a different player that has all of the analog outputs.

Other than level boosts or other proprietary mysticism that may or may not be applied internally by a reciever----there is no difference in sound quality between Linear PCM HD/Master audio and Bitstreamed HD/Master audio. They are two means to the same end, which is decoding the HD/Master audio data and sending it out of your Receiver's DACS.

*Another point to note is profile 1.1 and 2.0 actually specify decoding at source, i.e.LCPM or analogue out. This allows sound mixing. Bitsream does not support said soundmixing.

Last edited:
Okay then whats the best setup on the PS3 if I want TrueHD and DTS-HD, I have a Onkyo 674 recieving the audio signal via optical from my PS3 but can also set it up to pass the audio through the HDMI cable if I wanted to.

Sorry to thread jack;)

I just saw this...even though this thread started quite some time ago :)
If your receiver can handle LPCM audio from HDMI - that's what you should set the PS3 to output. It's essentially going to decode the HD codecs for you and output it to LPCM.
In the case of older DVD movies that use Dolby 5.1 - you'll actually want to boost the volume on the PS3's audio output. For some reason the older codecs have a lower volume when converted.
On the plus side - some games support LPCM. Uncharted, for one, definitely does.

If your receiver can handle LPCM audio from HDMI - that's what you should set the PS3 to output. It's essentially going to decode the HD codecs for you and output it to LPCM.
In the case of older DVD movies that use Dolby 5.1 - you'll actually want to boost the volume on the PS3's audio output. For some reason the older codecs have a lower volume when converted.
On the plus side - some games support LPCM. Uncharted, for one, definitely does.

Thanks Domingo, it's been so long since I asked this I forgot.

The question is :
Will the slim version have as good of BD playback as the current model? Is it a different drive?

I have no trouble at all playing the DTS-HD or Dolby Digital master tracks on Blu-rays using a PS3. Just set the PS3 to PCM and let your receiver handle the rest (the Denon 1909 works fine). You can hit select during the movie to make sure outputting the HD track. It sounds amazing!

The question is :
Will the slim version have as good of BD playback as the current model? Is it a different drive?

+1 I'm interested to hear how that pans out. I'm thinking about getting that PS3 Slim if it has a good blu ray drive or I'll just buy a stand alone if the playback is shoddy on the slim.

According to the folks at AVSForum, the Oppo BDP-83 is allegedly the best blu-ray player in the market. Please note that It costs $500 and cannot play video games. ;)
I own a PS3 and I am very happy about it. It runs flawlessly on my Pioneer Kuro 60".
Since I own a PS3, it is out of the question that I buy a stand-alone blu-ray player...

Last edited:
The blu-ray player that the ps3 offers is pretty good. The picture quality is very good for coming with the system, but not top of the line. It is beat out in picture quality by some of the more expensive stand alone units(usually $250+), but for features it is great. It comes with wifi, 120gb(new slim one), etc that make it definitely a nice feature. If you wanted the ultimate high definition experience you would probably be better with a stand alone system, but the PS3 for the normal viewer is quite good, and at only $299 now, a great deal.

I went ahead and jumped on a 80GB and here's why.

Proven quality BD playback.
Proven reliability.
Looks ( I think the fatty looks a lot better ).
I like the activity lights on the fatty. I did not see any on the slim.
I got a bundle at sams club that came with MLB 09 the show, and Quantum of Solace BD for $296.00.

Thanks Domingo, it's been so long since I asked this I forgot.

HDMI is definitely the only way to go. Optical connection format specifications don't support the bandwidth required to transmit the LPCM of a decoded TrueHD or DTS Master Audio soundtrack. So if you haven't invested in an HDMI cable yet I would do so.

Just in, the Slim will support bitstreaming of DD True HD and DTS HDMA over HDMI.

Just in, the Slim will support bitstreaming of DD True HD and DTS HDMA over HDMI.
Yet still no built-in full-function IR receiver!

But, really, I appreciate that Sony added the new bitstream and HDMI-CEC support. I just don't think it's worth giving up my BC PS3 for. :)

I went ahead and jumped on a 80GB and here's why.

Proven quality BD playback.
Proven reliability.
Looks ( I think the fatty looks a lot better ).
I like the activity lights on the fatty. I did not see any on the slim.
I got a bundle at sams club that came with MLB 09 the show, and Quantum of Solace BD for $296.00.

That's a damn good deal ToE!

Interesting to see how this compares to the LPCM conversion the original models have. A good number of HDMI receivers can decodes those formats (mine can...and it's not too expensive), so I hope someone who buys the slim can test 'em out and give feedback.
I'm still never giving up my 60GB BC model, but I think it's cool that this is being added.

Keep in mind that it's pointless to use blu-ray unless you have a 1080p HDTV

That statement is garbage, ignore it.

Been watching Blu Rays, HDDVD's and steaming HD content to a Sony widescreen XBR tube for years before getting a 1080p plasma on our movie room, and we're getting another PS3 to go in the living room so we can continue to do just that now that the Sony is in there..

Any HD at any resolution is better than SD content period. People that say they can't tell the difference on anything but 1080p are either F.O.S. or ignorant.

Yet still no built-in full-function IR receiver!

But, really, I appreciate that Sony added the new bitstream and HDMI-CEC support. I just don't think it's worth giving up my BC PS3 for. :)

I actually took the plunge and did just that. I didn't have the "full" BC model though. I had the original 80gb model that did software BC (though I never played a PS2 game that didn't work on it). But I decided to sell it on ebay and grab myself a slim (well, a preorder anyway).

My biggest reasons for making the change were:
1. The slim is quieter - my original one wasn't loud, but the quieter the better in my mind, especially when watching Blu-Ray
2. The additional audio capabilities
3. Unlike many others, I actually like the look of the slim - the glossy finish never really appealed to me and I like how much flatter it is

I debated it a bit because I wasn't sure if I wanted to give up backward compatibility, but I very seldom actually played PS2 games, so it was worth it for me. I was able to sell my original for $330 as well, so after fees, it was a wash.

Now I will be itching for the slim to get here for the next two weeks. :)

Back