How does windows 8 fare in gaming performance?

DjProvoker

Weaksauce
Will windows 8 be slower or faster then windows 7 when it comes to gaming or pretty much the same thing?? I bought my girl a windows 8 laptop which she loves but and I am starting to look as well so I was considering upgrading my PC once i get all my parts in to windows 8 pro, as long as gaming performance would be good still.

It's been the same if not a little faster for me. I've been using it for a month or so.

Benchmarks on clean installed systems show virtually identical benchmarks.

In theory Windows 8 should be faster, but so far it hasn't been shown to be.

For me it has been about the same but I mostly play Blizzard titles only. The one thing I have noticed is that alt tabbing between the games and Desktop cause audio to stop/skip and the screen to go black for a second or two. Also, sometimes it takes me a few tried before it actually tabs between game and desktop.

Benchmarks on clean installed systems show virtually identical benchmarks.

In theory Windows 8 should be faster, but so far it hasn't been shown to be.

Well within the margin of error. It's about equal.

One thing that got me (and others had issues with other OS's) was Just Cause 2 would run only in Windowed mode. Required an update to beta ATI drivers. So, any issues with AMD/ATI card, try the beta.

I wasn't expecting a framerate jump myself. An unrealistic thing to think, too. Unless it's a tiny core install designed only for gaming with new drivers developed from the ground up (basically, a whole new architecture). Then, I could see dramatic FPS increases. Otherwise, I don't expect it, nor would I believe the hype if it were promised.

I read a review for windows 8 that was showing Minecraft getting 10-20fps better than win7. Other games seemed roughly the same in that review though.

As far as I can tell, excellent.

It appears to be about the same or better than Windows 7 SP1. Once DirectX, OpenGL, & WDDM v1.2 drivers mature on Windows 8, it should get better.

Well the one downside, is that EvenBalance always drags their feet on new Windows releases, so if you plan to play any multiplayer games, you'll be kicked for an unknown windows api, until they release a patch.

Well the one downside, is that EvenBalance always drags their feet on new Windows releases, so if you plan to play any multiplayer games, you'll be kicked for an unknown windows api, until they release a patch.

Good thing as I see it, reminds me I shouldn't be playing garbage that uses EB anyway, since it catches everything but actual hackers/botters.

Windows 8 certainly *feels* snappier, but that could be just because it's a fresh install.

Good thing as I see it, reminds me I shouldn't be playing garbage that uses EB anyway, since it catches everything but actual hackers/botters.

lol don't spread that junk. Go check out the master ban index over at PBBans plenty of cheaters caught via AIMBOT violations, not to mention the other slew of cheats detected. There's no better solution currently available. Not to say PunkBuster is perfect, but it's the best we have, and I wouldn't play a multiplayer FPS without it.

Windows 8 certainly *feels* snappier, but that could be just because it's a fresh install.
That could most certainly be due to the way that they have adjusted GPU acceleration of the UI. The windows do minimize/maximize very smoothly.

Performance is the same or slightly better.

True for amd cards.
same or slightly faster overall.

Nvidia isnt the same story yet as they havent written their mythical drivers yet.
windows 8 is slower for nvidia users atm vs windows 7.
new drivers will change that hopefully.

True for amd cards.

Nvidia isnt the same story yet as they havent written their mythical drivers yet.

Quite possibly true. I am still running Win7 on my gaming rig with the NVIDIA GTX 680 but on my ENVY 17 with Radeon HD 7850m the performance is great on Win8.

That could most certainly be due to the way that they have adjusted GPU acceleration of the UI. The windows do minimize/maximize very smoothly.

Well, they got rid of "Aero", right? Perhaps not wasting all that video ram on the glass look has improved things across the board rendering wise.

True for amd cards.

This is very true, BF3 with 690gtx is getting 20-25 less FPS when i run on windows 8. Have tried the most current official drivers and beta drivers but made no difference.

This is very true, BF3 with 690gtx is getting 20-25 less FPS when i run on windows 8. Have tried the most current official drivers and beta drivers but made no difference.

wow thats a big chunk. frightening.

Well, they got rid of "Aero", right? Perhaps not wasting all that video ram on the glass look has improved things across the board rendering wise.

People need to stop saying that Aero is gone. Aero is the GPU accelerated GUI. Aero is NOT the transparent window borders.

Window transparencies are dialed way back.

Aero is still very obviously present.

People need to stop saying that Aero is gone. Aero is the GPU accelerated GUI. Aero is NOT the transparent window borders.

Window transparencies are dialed way back.

Aero is still very obviously present.

In desktop mode, the only transparency that I can see is the task bar. Outside of that, I wouldn't say it's "Obvious".

BF3 has run with PB enabled on my system, since back in the Developer Preview days, and all throughout the development to release. I don't think that's an issue with this particular release.

Back