How does this P55 build look?

Superhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W or CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W (not sure which one, leaning towards the Antec)
CPU: i5-750
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P or ASUS P7P55D PRO (leaning towards Gigabyte)
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
GPU: Re-using the Radeon 4830 I'm using now.
DVD drive: Samsung 22x sata DVD burner

How does this build look? Let me know if you think I should make any changes.

EDIT: This is gonna be my new gaming build. I will upgrade video card in the future when I save up some more money.

Last edited:
Get the cheaper PSU among the TP-650 or TX650, but if you're only sticking with the HD4830 (and not, for example, planning on upgrading the card within the next six months), you could get by with a decent 500-550 watt PSU.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting the WD6400AAKS or WD6401AALS instead. They would each outperform the HD502HJ.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this system? Do you plan on overclocking?

Get the cheaper PSU among the TP-650 or TX650, but if you're only sticking with the HD4830 (and not, for example, planning on upgrading the card within the next six months), you could get by with a decent 500-550 watt PSU.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting the WD6400AAKS or WD6401AALS instead. They would each outperform the HD502HJ.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this system? Do you plan on overclocking?

Yea, I plan on OCing, and I plan on upgrading the video card down the road when I can afford it. Purpose of the system is gaming.

If you're buying everything at NewEgg, get the TP-650, as it's modular and certified for 80 Plus Bronze (meaning it's more energy efficient than the TX650).

I agree with Red6: Get the WD6401AALS while it's on sale.

Ugh... so damn tempting... :( Get that TPN 750W while you can! :p I wish I needed one.

If you don't plan on ever SLI/Crossfire and have no need for onboard dual nics and firewire, you can save another $30 by going with Gigabyte P55-UD3R instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401&Tpk=p55-ud3r

Along with post 11/12...the UD2 is good as well. Make sure you understand the features you NEED and the board size you NEED. Nothing wrong with mATX..especially if you just use onboard stuff and a single video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405

I agree... don't pay for features you'll never use. ;)

Exactly there is no reason to have X Features if dont ever plan to use them.

Secondly get the TPN-750 and WD6401AALS youll be happy you did. :)

I ordered these this morning:

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB (every review I read showed it running as fast or faster and cooler than WD Caviar Black)

Gonna pick up i5-750, mobo, and dvd player from Micro Center tomorrow.

Sigh....i wish I would have seen that HDD a day or 2 later...UGH. Would have saved me $15 (ordered the 640 for $65).

These 500GB Drives will be equal or better at random but in large files WD 640 GB will kick their butt.

500GB per platter... nice!

Around 10% faster than the 333GB-platters. I wonder if a larger buffer/cache would help improve that?

Just received the parts I ordered from Newegg yesterday. Holy shit Newegg is fast.

Can't wait till I pick up the cpu, mobo, and dvd drive from Micro Center tomorrow and start putting the rig together!

Got the rig up and running.

Everything is awesome except for 2 things:

1) I have 2 storage drives, but can't get one of them to show under My Computer. It's detected in the BIOS but I can't access it in Windows.
2) Windows won't detect my sound card at all. It's an Audigy 2 ZS. It's in the last PCI slot. I re-seated it and it still won't detect. I'll try putting it in the other PCI slot tomorrow.

I'm more concerned about problem #1.

1) Check Disk Management
2) Which Windows are you running?

1) Check Disk Management
2) Which Windows are you running?

1) Ahhhh, I figured it out. I went into Disk Mgmt and forgot the 2nd storage drive was set up as a dynamic disc, so all I had to do was import it. It's working now. :)
2) Windows 7 - 64 bit

1) Ahhhh, I figured it out. I went into Disk Mgmt and forgot the 2nd storage drive was set up as a dynamic disc, so all I had to do was import it. It's working now. :)
2) Windows 7 - 64 bit

1) Ahh, nice to hear/
2) Are there even 64bit drivers available for that old card?

Yes, but I don't even think that's the problem. It's not being detected in Windows at all.

Usually Windows would say there's a device that's not installed properly before I installed the drivers.

Yes, but I don't even think that's the problem. It's not being detected in Windows at all.

Usually Windows would say there's a device that's not installed properly before I installed the drivers.

Sounds like a bad card.

... or a bad PCI slot... or the card isn't installed properly. Let us know how another PCI slot works out. BTW, if you can't get it to work, just use onboard HD Audio... its good enough for most people. :p

Weirdest thing happened this morning.

I booted up the computer, and it was recognized by Windows and I installed the drivers with no problems. :) How random lol.

I will try to get some pics up today. :D

Back