• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How does this look

JeffBlair

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
333
Well, after my poor CPU bit the dust I figured I might as well upgrade. Here's what I have so far. These are all prices from Fry's.

99.99 ----- AMD Phenom™ II X2 555 Black 3.2MHz
99.99 ----- MSI 870A-G54
99.99 ----- DDR3 4GB 1600MHz PATRIOT
99.99 ----- DDR3 4GB 1600MHz PATRIOT
49.99 ----- Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
99.99 ----- CM690 II

I'll be using a 8800GT for now, and then upgrading the card later on. Was going to upgrade it now, but CPU decided against it. I'll probably just get a single Nvidia 460, so I'm not worried about the PCI-e slot's as long as it's 16x.
I'm hoping to unlock the other 2 cores in the chip. :)
Give me any pointers on what I might change. I have a TruePower 550w power supply already, so I don't have to worry about power.
Thanks for looking. :)
 
Give me any pointers on what I might change. I have a TruePower 550w power supply already, so I don't have to worry about power.

Which Truepower 550W? Truepower 2.0? Truepower Trio? Truepower New?
 
I think it's a 2.0 if I remember right. It's been a while since I've had to take a look at it. I might just say forget it, and upgrade to a 700w just to be safe.
 
Well, after my poor CPU bit the dust I figured I might as well upgrade. Here's what I have so far. These are all prices from Fry's.

99.99 ----- AMD Phenom™ II X2 555 Black 3.2MHz
99.99 ----- MSI 870A-G54
99.99 ----- DDR3 4GB 1600MHz PATRIOT
99.99 ----- DDR3 4GB 1600MHz PATRIOT
49.99 ----- Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
99.99 ----- CM690 II

I'll be using a 8800GT for now, and then upgrading the card later on. Was going to upgrade it now, but CPU decided against it. I'll probably just get a single Nvidia 460, so I'm not worried about the PCI-e slot's as long as it's 16x.
I'm hoping to unlock the other 2 cores in the chip. :)
Give me any pointers on what I might change. I have a TruePower 550w power supply already, so I don't have to worry about power.
Thanks for looking. :)

First of all, which version of the TruePower PSU do you have? And how old is that PSU?

If you have the original TruePower 550W, it would not be adequate for a modern system anyway because it would have provided too little capacity on the +12V rail by current standards at that wattage rating, and it has only a 20-pin ATX power connector. Or, if you have a TruePower 2.0, I would not recommend any further use of that because both it and its earlier single-rail version have had a history of earlier-than-expected death due to its combination of relatively low-quality capacitors (Fuhjyyu) and an inadequate cooling fan that often barely runs at all.

As for the CPU cooler, it is overpriced for its performance, especially since some CPU coolers with comparable cooling performance cost half as much.

And the CM 690 II Advanced case is not a bad choice, particularly since all brick-and-mortar computer superstores charge relatively high prices on many items such as cases. Unfortunately, based on what Fry's has to offer in cases, you'd have to settle for either a relatively dull-looking case without much if any bling whatsoever or a very cramped case with little airflow if you want to spend less over there.
 
Yeah, the PSU is about 2 years old or so. So, I'll probably get a new one.
Yeah, I was looking at the V6GT as well, or I might splurge and get the H50.
 
I think it's a 2.0 if I remember right. It's been a while since I've had to take a look at it. I might just say forget it, and upgrade to a 700w just to be safe.

Yeah upgrade that PSU for the reasons that E4g1e noted. I recommend this:
$70 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU
 
I know it has the 24 pin connector, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to something a bit newer, and with more power.
 
I know it has the 24 pin connector, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to something a bit newer, and with more power.

If it's about two years old, it could have been a TruePower 2.0 or a TruePower Trio. At that time there was an overlap in the time periods when the two generations of TruePower were sold. The TP Trio was based on an older and lower-end Seasonic platform while the TP series PSUs that came before the Trio were CWT-based.
 
Back
Top