• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How does the hd595 fare in BF2?????

lend82

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
247
Hi guys,
I'm searching for a new headphone to hopefully buy next month, and I think I've finally found the one for me: the hd595. My other choices was the dt880 (not enough bass for games I'm told), the a900 (they're closed, and I live within a family who might call me for stuff), and the dt770's (I think they'll be too bass focused for my taste. Plus, I've read how these cans have recessed mids, which I don't want).

So, my final choice is the hd595. What I'm looking for is incredible music production with electronica (trip hop, ambient, and downtempo), and incredible 3d positioning and soundstaging along with ample/suitable bass response for gaming.

In Battlefield 2 (bf2), there's a lot of bass in the gameplay. For instance, if your a support class guy, u can carry around a full support machinegun that pounds away with mucho el basso. Then, if a tank happens to roll close by ya, you can hear/feel the rumblings of the big heavy iron beast. Lastly, if a commander is really ruthless, he will drop an "artillery" strike, which pretty much sounds like "WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!111oneone"

What I need is for the hd595 to reproduce these bass-heavy situations as beautifully as possible. However, since I don't already have a pair, I don't know if they are capable of doing that. This is where I need your help. Does the hd595 do justice to bf2? Or is the a900 more suitable for me? :( Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz someone say the hd595 owns in bf2 ://///////////////////////

Thank you for your help! Talk to ya l8r!:p

p.s. I am looking forward to getting a ~$60 amp if NEEDED, so please recommend buying an amp if you think it will help the hd595 own in bf2:p Is the pa2v2 good for the hd595+bf2? =) My source will be on-board audio until I can afford the x-fi xm soundcard. If I don't get an amp, I will be able to get the x-fi as soon as September:p
 
spaceman said:
how about just save the $$ and get these? they will make you happy.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/.../Audio-Technica_ATH-AD700_Air_Headphones.html

Thx for reading my post. And thanks for your reply:p

I've heard of the ad700 in my research for new cans. How do they compare to the hd595? Are you recommending them because they are cheaper than the hd595 and good enough for the job? Or are they truly bettert han the hd595?

Thank you for your help d00d, cya l8r:D
 
The 595s will probably be very good for BF2.

As far as bass is concerned, what will you be comparing it to? Have you been using some $20 2.1 system or a 15" 1000 watt subwoofer? It kinda depends on your frame of reference as to how good it will be. Also, some people prefer boomy bass, which most headphones produce tighter more refined bass.

If you've never had higher end headphones, you might start lower and see if you find something worthwhile there. For instance, the HD-555s are supposed to be pretty good all around headphones and they sound good. You can snag a pair for about $110 which would maybe save you some money. If you didn't like them then you could always move up, but if you were satisfied with that, then you'd be fine. Not only that, but with the money you save, you could possibly spend on getting an amp. Just something to consider. I've seen quite a few people selling theirs here lately, so you might see if you can't find a nice used pair in good condition for quite a bit less.

With all of that said, I'm sure you'll be plenty happy with HD-595s.

An amp isn't necessary, but they will benefit from them.

I bought a pair of the 595s and hopefully they show up monday for me to see how I like them. I could give you a better opinion of them then. I will likely either be selling them or my HD-555s after I give them a good listen. Sorry for the sales pitch. :)
 
Everything I've said on Head-Fi.org still applies.

You're at a point where you have narrowed yourself down to a specific headphone basically, and now you're asking very subjective questions. What sounds good to someone may not sound good to others. So just because one person says "Oh yes, I give them a 90 out of 100 for bass", doesn't mean you will feel the same way. Only your ears can tell you how they sound :D :D

~Good luck
 
Why don't you do this. If you buy these $200 headphones and hook them up to onboard audio, its almost like committing murder! Onboard would not do any pair of high end headphones justice.

Newegg has the X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard on sale for $82 w/ free shipping! Thats only $22 more than you were willing to spend on an amp. I think going with a better sound card now and possibly an amp later if its not enough, which the X-Fi shouldn't need an amp is a better idea.. possibly saving you the price of the amp.

Just my 0.02
 
the a700 does great with the x-fi. I had the 555s and they were great but too close sounding for me. the a700s gives you a wider soundstage and positioning while doing a fine job with most music. You can get those and an X-fi for around the price of a new 595 so...

oh and the audio technicas might just be the most comfy headphone around.
 
First I would ike to say THANKS for your RESPONSES GUYS!!!!!! AND THX FOR READING MY POST!!!!

Sup Darkswordsman17
Well I had a sr80 that I gave away. When I played with them in bf2, I thought that the headphone didn't fully produce all of the bass the artillery drops create. For some reason the explosions didn't sound complete (but they still sounded good as hell). I know this will prompt dt770 recommendations, but I already stated why I'm not interested in those cans in my first post:p Right now I'm using a koss r80 $40 headphone. They have plenty bass, but it's muddy, muffled, and undefined.

I'm glad you say the hd595 will do good with bf2. Have you tried them with bf2 yourself? Not yet right? hehe;p I'll be sure to pm you this week to see how you like your new hd595. Make sure you give them a good burn in though!!!

Sup Towert7
You make a good point=) But I'm hoping that from making threads like this, I can find the consensus on how the hd595 will perform for my applications, that way I'll have a good idea of what I'm buying. But one thing's for sure, I've sure read conflicting opinions on head-fi.org:p

Hey PC-HAngover
Well i'm already stretching my budget ($200) by $20 to get an amp, so that be $20 more to get the x-fi on sale. However, I can only get the new cans and whatever else next month, so I'm not sure if that special will help me out, even though it's a real good one. You know how long that that special will last? Hopefully a good 2-3 weeks more:/ ehe

The most drastic increase in sound quality I've heard recently was going from a koss r80 headphone, to a sr80 can, on on-board audio! After that, going from on-board audio to the x-fi wasn't really a BIG deal, even though it was worth getting the x-fi. My on-board audio is suprisingly good, heeh=) I guess it is cuz the motherboard is a fairly recent one.

Hey Spaceman
I'm looking for open cans right now, so I can't really look at the a700s, hehe.

THX FOR YOUR REPLIES GUYS! PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE HEARD BF2 WITH THE HD595!!!!!!!! Thank you guys:) Have a nice sunday:)

p.s. sorry guys, I usually show a ton of smileys along with my posts, but I guess [h]ard forums will have non of that, lol.
 
What amps would you guys suggest for the 595's? I've tried looking at different ones but have no idea which direction to go. I'd like to keep it under $150? I too am looking into getting headphones for an upcoming game that will really utilize positional audio.
 
DarkfallFan said:
What amps would you guys suggest for the 595's? I've tried looking at different ones but have no idea which direction to go. I'd like to keep it under $150? I too am looking into getting headphones for an upcoming game that will really utilize positional audio.

Sup darkfallfan:p You can look on ebay.com for the little dot micro+ and the pa2v2, both around 60-70$ and both supposedly good for the hd595. I'm not sure how good though, cuz I'm pretty newb myself:p The pa2v2 comes with a source-to-amp cable and a ac adapter that recharges it's batteries, while the little dot micro+ comes with an ac adapter that recharges built in rechargable batteries(as far as I can tell from reading the specifications), but doesn't come with a source-to-amp cable. One guy reported that his little dot micro+ made the hd595's bass tighter and cleaner, the mids fuller, and the highs a bit better. Be sure to check out head-fi.org for more info!

Good luck;p

Oh, mind my asking what game your talking about? Thank you;p

O btw, do you already have the hd595? have you tried it with bf2? TY:p
 
It's easier to get the Audio Technicas a900, you can drive them ampless easily without sacrificing sound quality, the senns have a tendency to require a pretty good amp to get great sound from them $300 up.
 
spaceman said:
A700 AIRS are open as all get out bro.

Does the a700 airs have the same amount of audio quality as the hd595? That's what I really want. I want the best audio quality affordable with $200. I can always get an amp later on, and I plan on getting an x-fi in two--the latest, three--months from now=) That's a short wait imo.

ty for your response. have a nice Sunday, haha;p
 
ellover009 said:
It's easier to get the Audio Technicas a900, you can drive them ampless easily without sacrificing sound quality, the senns have a tendency to require a pretty good amp to get great sound from them $300 up.

Imo darkfallfan, the a900s are an incredible deal if you don't mind having a closed headphone:)
 
I have the HD590's and X-Fi XtremeMusic for BF2. Definitely get the X-Fi for its Ultra High audio setting in BF2. I was using a regular Audigy previously and there wasn't much bass. The X-Fi outputs better bass for both music and BF2.
 
Audio Technica is the only brand that delivers justice to closed cans, most other brands don't have the sound department good, but the a900s rock, the soundstage is great for the $$.
 
he wants OPEN cans guys. the A900 ain't it.

700 AIR sound is more spacious, airy than the 595. not quite as sharp in the highs more mellow and relaxed but it delivers in the middle and down low. for the $$ it's a very good deal. I had the K1000s previously and they owned obviously but I am content with these if that says anything.

sold the k1000s for an AMAZING stereo.
 
Sup guys:) Thx for your posts, i really appreciate it;D

Hey Spaceman
For some reason I'm still interested in the hd595. It's the one headphone that got comments like "this can doesn't wow me like the hd595" when I was researching for a headphone. What I really want this time around is to be "wow'd" away by my headphone, even though that might be a bit of a high expectation, heeh=) Can you tell me some of the plusses of the hd595? eheh=)

Hey Sabs
Glad to hear you have the senns headphone that you use with bf2. That gives me a little confidence that the hd595 will do good with bf2.

Any more of you fellas use the hd595 or have used it with bf2? Your input will be GREATLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY appreciated:p

Thank you for your time guys, later:p
 
If hes gonna be forced to get an amp I would not get anything lower than the senn 600 and the 650
 
Vertigo Acid said:
I gamed with a pair of 595s for 8 months or so, and was *very* happy with them
If that's not a big enough push to get you to buy them, I don't know what will.
 
Sup Spaceman:)
I couldn't find a used pair of the hd595 at audiocubes, heeh=) Where can I find one for that cheap from a reputable place?=)

And you mind my asking what's a psu? As far as I know, a psu is a power supply unit for the computer, so I'm guessing your talking about something else, eheh=)

Thank you for your reply:p Have a great Night! :)

spaceman said:
595 plus an amp or better the 600 plus an amp. u can find used headphones here
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/.../Audio-Technica_ATH-AD700_Air_Headphones.html

hint a pair of mint 50 ohm versions are available now for 155 u could try those unamped now and get an amp AND a psu later. psu makes a big difference especially with bass.
 
Well goofing around in our server with FF off, with the 595's was great. I never noticed that when your pistol shots hit or you knife, theres a different sound file that plays. And listening to C4 goin off pixels from you or AT rockets whizz under, over and either side of you enjoyable. Though I was using onboard Intel HD audio...unamped. So I assume that in combination with an Xfi the difference would be going from 128K mp3 fLAC.
 
ha sup guys:p
I didn't see there was a second page here, sorry eheh=)

Sup Towert7=)
lol. I just wanna make sure, ya know? :p ha. But Kuyaglen definitely hit the spot. He's using on-board audio AND has experience with the hd595 in bf2. WOW, and all he has is good news=0

Nice computer by the way=) I tried to oc my opteron 165 to 2.25 ghz to get my ram running at ddr500, which is the speed they're SUPPOSED to run at, but I couldn't get it stable:/ hehe=)


Sup Vertigo Acid=)
Man, that's reallllll good:p What games did you play with the hd595=)? Can you tell me some particular moments that you enjoyed with them? hehe=) You kinda sound like you don't have them any more. Or am I wrong, and you BOUGHT the hd595 8 months ago and still use them, eh? :p I'm glad to hear that you were *very* happy with them. Hope they will make me *happy* too, haha;p

Sup Ellover009=)
I think I'm going to budget my money to buy a x-fi first, then an amp later down the road, especially since Towert7 has pointed out to me that any changes an amp brings to the sound quality will be minor to *newb* ears like mine;p Plus, I think an x-fi will be able to drive the hd595 quite well, from the little I've read about that.

Sup Kuyaglen=)
Man, good discription of your bf2'n with the hd595=) You told me exactly what I needed to hear. Thx, hehe=) When I think about it, I'm REALLY looking forward to bf2'n with the hd595! I think they will do just well, hehe=)

sorry for the capitals but, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES GUYS. I <<<<<<<<<<<<<GREATLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>> APPRECIATE IT! HA;P

Thx for your times guys, you really don't have to help me=) If there is anyone else that would like to share their hd595+bf2 experience, or just wanna drop some of your $.02 on me, feel absolutely free to do so, ha;p

Thank you guys=) L8r=)
 
spaceman said:
he wants OPEN cans guys. the A900 ain't it.

700 AIR sound is more spacious, airy than the 595. not quite as sharp in the highs more mellow and relaxed but it delivers in the middle and down low. for the $$ it's a very good deal. I had the K1000s previously and they owned obviously but I am content with these if that says anything.

sold the k1000s for an AMAZING stereo.


Aren't the ad900's the open version of the A900's... or are they different in some other way?
 
Viper87227 said:
Aren't the ad900's the open version of the A900's... or are they different in some other way?

Iono they're supposed to be the open version of the a900s, but I'm not sure if they have a difference in sound quality/signature, ehhe=)

For that, someone else will have to tell ya:p
 
spaceman said:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189424

I have to copy links twice or they don't work sorry lol.

lol yea, i have to copy links twice often for the same reason. What your using, firefox? I barely use ie so I don't know if it's a firefox thing, eheh=)

Unfortunately I can't buy a new can till next month when my budget and God allows, UNLESS some darn unexpected expenses pop up ftw, which can happen every now and then:/ But hey, I can get the hd595 from tomshardware.com price guide for $165 shipped:p And the store has many good customer reviews, so it's all good:)

TY for your response d00d:p I'll Cya l8r:)
 
I just spent 199.99 on hd595 from newegg.com. I am currently playing BF2 daily for at least an hour or 2 with them. I have a Soundblaster Audigy sound card and have it configured for headphones.

here is my honest opinion. These headphones are extremely comfortable for me for long gaming sessions. The sound quality is miles ahead of my previous $40 logitech USB headphones. The base, mid, and highs are all beautiful but I feel like the headphones can do MUCH more than my system is pushing them currently. I am planning on getting a SB X-FI Platinum with the front faceplate that has a small amp in it for about $178. I have a feeling that this sound card will truly turn these fantastic headphones in to something amazing! I can't wait. So far I am extremely pleased.

My current sound card does not have much configuration whatsoever for base, treble, 3d positioning, modes, etc... It only has headphones, 2.1, 5.1 selector. I am almost certain that with a new XFI Platinum I will have a ton of configuration available to me to make this sound experience even better.

So moral of the story, even with a crappy sound card these canns sound amazing. I can't wait to hear what they sound like after getting a good sound card.
 
lend82 said:
Iono they're supposed to be the open version of the a900s, but I'm not sure if they have a difference in sound quality/signature, ehhe=)

For that, someone else will have to tell ya:p

The open cans have a tighter sound a better soundstage apparently.
 
Sup guys=)


dborden said:
I just spent 199.99 on hd595 from newegg.com. I am currently playing BF2 daily for at least an hour or 2 with them. I have a Soundblaster Audigy sound card and have it configured for headphones.

here is my honest opinion. These headphones are extremely comfortable for me for long gaming sessions. The sound quality is miles ahead of my previous $40 logitech USB headphones. The base, mid, and highs are all beautiful but I feel like the headphones can do MUCH more than my system is pushing them currently. I am planning on getting a SB X-FI Platinum with the front faceplate that has a small amp in it for about $178. I have a feeling that this sound card will truly turn these fantastic headphones in to something amazing! I can't wait. So far I am extremely pleased.

My current sound card does not have much configuration whatsoever for base, treble, 3d positioning, modes, etc... It only has headphones, 2.1, 5.1 selector. I am almost certain that with a new XFI Platinum I will have a ton of configuration available to me to make this sound experience even better.

So moral of the story, even with a crappy sound card these canns sound amazing. I can't wait to hear what they sound like after getting a good sound card.


Thanks for your response d00d, I GREATLY appreciate it=) So, you like ur hd595 with bf2 eh? GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D I have a strong feeling that the hd595 is going to own=)

What makes you think you're not reaching the full potential of your headphones?

Thx for the response d00d, u've giving me exactly what I was looking for=D

Hey FooTemps=)
Thx for your response:p

FooTemps said:
The open cans have a tighter sound a better soundstage apparently.

Word, that's another plus for the hd595=)

Thx for the responses guys! Please, feel free to share your comments and experiences with the hd595 and bf2, or even just your $.02! Your help is GREATLY appreciated:p TY:D

Have a nice day=)
 
lend82 said:
Sup guys=)





Thanks for your response d00d, I GREATLY appreciate it=) So, you like ur hd595 with bf2 eh? GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D I have a strong feeling that the hd595 is going to own=)

What makes you think you're not reaching the full potential of your headphones?

Thx for the response d00d, u've giving me exactly what I was looking for=D

Hey FooTemps=)
Thx for your response:p



Word, that's another plus for the hd595=)

Thx for the responses guys! Please, feel free to share your comments and experiences with the hd595 and bf2, or even just your $.02! Your help is GREATLY appreciated:p TY:D

Have a nice day=)

Well from my understanding these canns should be able to do surround and high quality spacial audio. My sound card is a lowly SB Audgiy and I have very limited configuration ability to adjust base, treble, and sound modes.
 
dborden said:
Well from my understanding these canns should be able to do surround and high quality spacial audio. My sound card is a lowly SB Audgiy and I have very limited configuration ability to adjust base, treble, and sound modes.

Word hehe=)

If you don't know, the x-fi xtrememusic soundcard is on sale @ newegg.com for $82! I got mine for about $110, and it was well worth the deal, especially for bf2.

Thx for your post:p

Have a nice day=)
 
dborden said:
...but I feel like the headphones can do MUCH more than my system is pushing them currently.
Yea, that's because you have the card set to headphones. :D
Do them justice and put it to 2.0 speakers.

Honestly, with higher end headphones you really shouldn't be needing *featuers* (Cough cough) to really adjust the sound. High end equipment is designed to sound the way it does.

dborden said:
...these canns should be able to do surround
Depends on what you mean by "surround". If you mean a 3D soundscape when playing a game, then yea. If you mean for things like music and movies......... well.......... (more like three blobs near you head).
 
towert7 said:
Depends on what you mean by "surround". If you mean a 3D soundscape when playing a game, then yea. If you mean for things like music and movies......... well.......... (more like three blobs near you head).

Ahh, the hd595 has those 3 blobs too eh? I read, iirc, that the dt880 is like that, hence, unsuitable for cmss-3d. Is that true for the hd595 too?

ty=)
 
lend82 said:
Ahh, the hd595 has those 3 blobs too eh? I read, iirc, that the dt880 is like that, hence, unsuitable for cmss-3d. Is that true for the hd595 too?

ty=)
Practically all headphones are like this (just the concept of how a headphone is). You have the sound in your head, then a bloob near the right ear, and a bloob near the left ear.
I'ts very hard to be able to get a soundstage that a high end stereo speaker setup can produce.
Once you've heard a nicely setup speaker rig, you get spoiled ^_^.

Still, despite this, headphones are still quite a bit better for playing games because of the amount of subtle details you can pick up. (Counter intuitive at first glance, I know).
 
I currently have a pair of 595's with the Xi-Fi platinum, and while i don't play BF2 that much, they do sound good on them along with most of my other games. I usually play mmo's, and it's nice to hear things that you never even knew were there. (Like going onto snow, then stone and hearing the differences in footsteps, misses, ect)
Any headphone like the 595 that actually makes you look around or duck at times from a game noise is okay in my book... :D
 
Sup guys:D
Ty for your posts=D

Sup Towert7=D

towert7 said:
Practically all headphones are like this (just the concept of how a headphone is). You have the sound in your head, then a bloob near the right ear, and a bloob near the left ear.
I'ts very hard to be able to get a soundstage that a high end stereo speaker setup can produce.
Once you've heard a nicely setup speaker rig, you get spoiled ^_^.

Still, despite this, headphones are still quite a bit better for playing games because of the amount of subtle details you can pick up. (Counter intuitive at first glance, I know).

Ahh, I didn't know all headphones were like this. Yea, from my experience, headphones are best for gaming=)

Sup Kamxam=D

kamxam said:
Any headphone like the 595 that actually makes you look around or duck at times from a game noise is okay in my book... :D

LoL, I didn't know the hd595 was that good;p I'm really looking forward to getting the hd595. I think I will be pretty impressed by them:D

Thank you for your posts guys. Talk to you later:D
 
Back
Top