How Does the GTX 1080 Ti Stack Up in 2020?

I still have deep regrets about buying a 1080 before the 1080 Ti came out.

But hey, it's let me enjoy VR up till (and through) now, so I can't complain too much.

Waiting to see what next gen brings.

When I got my 1080 non-Ti early in its life, the x80 when new 2 year upgrade cycle was about the same as x80 Ti one; just offset a year. I have no regrets, just hope the 3080 will be a winner of a card later this year. The initial RTX release basically cost us a bit more than half of a year of shader performance growth, so as long as the 3000 series doesn't go even more heavily into spending new transistors on RTX it should get me back on track. Or close enough anyway.

I'm playing most games I play at 4k60 with near maxed settings on a 1080ti. Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Monster Hunter World, AssCreed Odyssey, Final Fantasy XV, pretty much every single "indie" game I throw at it.
Yeah, I know they aren't "max settings" but I don't care about 16k shadows. Hell I purposely download ultra intensive higher res texture packs and lighting mods because my card handles it.

Monster Hunter World at 4k60 is all I really care about, as I have hundreds of hours in that game and expect hundreds more.

I play my faster FPS games at 1440p, but that's because my 1440p monitor has 165hz while my 4k is only 60. But even then I'm usually more CPU limited than GPU limited, not that I care about 100+fps competitive play.

Only game I've had trouble getting 4k60 is No Man's Sky and I don't have a clue what's up with that title, shits not good looking enough for the performance problems.

Also a few other poorly coded games like city builders and the like. But those don't even hit 30% gpu utilization usually.

Hitman 2 averaged 52-60fps for me during the miami benchmark at 4k. I think I turned down a single setting, but i'd have to double check which one. Performance was weirdly almost identical at 1440p. Haven't done anything else with the game since I just got it in the humble bundle for this month.

Thanks for sharing,

I am playing metro at the moment, 4k at High settings and often see dips into low 50s high 40s in some of the outside areas in grass and shit. Monster Hunter is next on my list tho

$1399 is my guess, and $899 for the 3080.
It was either spend 1k-1.2k (for a real performance boost) or keep my 1080ti strix oc. Strix is still in my pc. It's been a good card.

I would probably bite on the 3080Ti if it was $899. If big navi's performance is within 10% with a reasonable price I'll go there instead even though I prefer certain NVIDIA tech like DLSS.

I kept my 1080Ti as well since I wasn't getting a 4k monitor but I may buy one if the performance of these new cards are great.

I am playing metro at the moment, 4k at High settings and often see dips into low 50s high 40s in some of the outside areas in grass and shit. Monster Hunter is next on my list tho
A bit of advice for Monster Hunter, turn off the "Volume Rendering" graphic option. it looks absolutely awful and takes literally around 20% off the FPS of the game. When its on its just a godawful full screen filter that removes color depth and saturation. I really don't understand why anyone would want it.

8800 gtx would still be an ok card for 1080p but unfortunately doesn’t get driver updates anymore.
That, and you wouldn't have DX11 or 12.
Ja, lack of DirectX 11 & 12 support and the 768 MB framebuffer means it would absolutely not be an "okay" card for 1080p today.

You can play DirectX11 games using DirectX10 and 10.1 hardware just fine. DirectX 11 is a superset of DirectX 10 and it simply sheds the unsupported features if you run DirectX 11 using Feature Level 10_0 or 10_1. I did it for years as I ran 2x Radeon 4870x2 in quad Crossfire and used them for way longer than I probably should have. They were DirectX 10.1 cards but played DirectX11 games great.

Back