How do you use 1440p?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an Asus 27" 1440p monitor, and I've been having a difficult time getting used to it -- the resolution makes everything so small, it seems you have to be super close up to it to read things.

I have hawk-level eyesight, so that's not the issue. I thought I just needed some time adjusting as I've used a 60-inch HDTV as a monitor for a couple years. However, after a month or so, it's still a bit annoying either how close up you need to be to read things, or having to constantly zoom in on pages with CTRL-mousewheel. I've wondered if a 30" 1440p would make better sense.

Anyway, I've wondered if I should just go back to HDTV monitoring, but am curious what others' experiences are with 1440p and similar-sized screens -- do you sit closer up than you would lower res displays? Do you use a lower non-native resolution for things? Is 27" too small for this much resolution?

If you have hawk-level eyesight, you must be used to sitting 5ft away or something. From the length of a normal desk, 27" 2560x1440 DPI is easy to read for this user, and my eyesight is NOT 20/20 (though it's not far off either).

If you're used to an HDTV @ 1080p, then yes, it will seem very small. But you should still be able to read things easily at <4ft distance, at least IMO. I'm nearsighted though, so maybe that's our difference? (Just in case your hawk-level vision means you're farsighted...)

27" is fine for 1440p. Have been using it on a normal desk at normal distance for years.

I remember at first i thought the desktop and browser were tiny, but i guess i just got used to it as i never changed anything and its all good now.

Maybe give it some more time to adjust? also yuo have gone from 60" which is huge to 27" bear that in mind.

Is 27" too small for this much resolution?
It's purely subjective, but personally I find it a little the small side for my less than perfect eyes. I use a 32" 1440p screen day-to-day and that's probably as much pixel density as I want until Windows gets UI scaling that actually works.

For me, it is too small. 1440 is too many pixels for a 27" screen IMO. I'd rather have 1080 at that size. I'd opt for a 32" screen if you're gonna run 1440. That's the right size screen for that resolution for my eyes at least.

For me, it is too small. 1440 is too many pixels for a 27" screen IMO. I'd rather have 1080 at that size. I'd opt for a 32" screen if you're gonna run 1440. That's the right size screen for that resolution for my eyes at least.

Just change the Windows DPI setting and adjust your font size...

It's really not bad at all. I use a 4k monitor at 28 inches with NO scaling at all and that makes everything way smaller than 1440p at 27 inches and yet it's still usable for me. There are others who've used 3840x2400 at 22 inches and find that usable.You're probably just sitting further than the optimal distance.

I've got an Asus 27" 1440p monitor, and I've been having a difficult time getting used to it -- the resolution makes everything so small, it seems you have to be super close up to it to read things.

I have hawk-level eyesight, so that's not the issue. I thought I just needed some time adjusting as I've used a 60-inch HDTV as a monitor for a couple years. However, after a month or so, it's still a bit annoying either how close up you need to be to read things, or having to constantly zoom in on pages with CTRL-mousewheel. I've wondered if a 30" 1440p would make better sense.

Anyway, I've wondered if I should just go back to HDTV monitoring, but am curious what others' experiences are with 1440p and similar-sized screens -- do you sit closer up than you would lower res displays? Do you use a lower non-native resolution for things? Is 27" too small for this much resolution?

Like seriously... how far away are you from the monitor? it sounds to me like you don't have hawk-eye vision... I can use 3840x2400 on a 22 inch display very comfortably from 2 feet away which is *way* *way* smaller than 2560x1440 @ 27 inch. I can even do 3840x2160 on a 15.6 inch display from 1.5 feet away but then its starting to get a bit small for me at default font sizes.

I mean 1440p is barely even smaller than any other LCD.... I have 20/15 vision so its better than most but it sounds like you over-estimate your vision or you just sit 6-7 feet away from your display.

I think 2-3 feet is a normal viewing distance for most.

Are you guys serious? There are tons of smartphone that use 1440p displays, and they're like 5".

All 27" displays should at least be 5k (5120x2880), period. This is 2015, not 2005.

Are you guys serious? There are tons of smartphone that use 1440p displays, and they're like 5".

All 27" displays should at least be 5k (5120x2880), period. This is 2015, not 2005.

With the difference being their apps were designed for that resolution ;)

1440p on 27" is okay with my really shitty eyes but I think that's the limit though. 4k on on that size would be definitely too much. I sit pretty close (like I dunno, 60cm maybe?) and sometimes even lean forward a little when reading. I don't like messing around with windows DPI settings but when my games offer the option, I do often increase HUD/fonts size for improved comfort.

I sometimes wish it was 1080p (for films and desktop usage), but 1440p is so damn gorgeous in games there's no going back.

I'm using a 27" 1440p Asus as well and sit 2-3 ft away. I have better than 20-15 vision (can read the entire eye chart). I don't zoom or scale anything. If you're coming from a lower pixel density it takes a little while to get used to it but if you straight up can't read things you're sitting way too far away or overestimating your vision. I can still read these forums from 6 feet away.

I have hawk-level eyesight, so that's not the issue

I have astigmatism, corrected to 20/20.

I'm bothered by my monitor, because I'm too close to it - and it's on a monitor arm, at the end of my desk.

I think your eyesight is over estimated.

1440p is awful on a 27" display, and anyone who claims it is comfortable is full of shit.

1440p is awful on a 27" display, and anyone who claims it is comfortable is full of shit.

If your saying its uncomfortable for being to small then you sir, have horrible vision.

I am not sure else why you would call it 'uncomfortable' as although its not pretty big pixels are not what I would call 'uncomfortable.'

I must be really full of shit if I say 3840x2400 is comfortable on a 22 inch monitor.

So tired of people ridiculing others on Hardforum for VISUAL PREFERENCES. I also have 20/20 eyesight (Tested in December) with a 27 inch 1440P monitor and I would also PREFER a 32inch 1440P monitor because I find the default fonts/ui a little small in Windows. That being said there is some truth to it taking time to adjust.

I have no problem with that DPI personally... well, the only problem I have is with the occasional oil from my nose getting on the screen.

Dual 34" 3440x1440 monitors here, upgraded from dual 23" 1920x1080. Letterboxed the monitors turn into a centered 27" 2560x1440 picture. I sit about 3.5 feet away from them (they're angled to fit on the desk so some parts are closer to 3 feet others closer to 4 feet but generally I spin the chair for long periods of staring so its a more even 3.5 feet). Letterboxed the monitors turn into a centered 27" 2560x1440 picture.

I don't like admitting it but my eyes do need minor corrective lenses - though I have yet to get any. My issues are with fuzziness around edges at far distances or at poor pixel densities - hence the need for only minor corrective lenses. So for me the higher pixel density helps more than the smaller text/icons hurt - especially at only 3.5 feet. If I was any closer than 3 feet I definitely believe I would burn my eyes out from fatigue, but any farther than 4 feet (absolute maximum) then I feel I might nto be able to make out the lettering.

Then again I spend most of my 8 hour day sitting 3-3.5 feet from old, cheap, 20" TN panels - most of which aren't any higher than 1680x1050 that came with the OEM computers that were running XP until 8 months ago. Which means I notice a large difference in quality between work at the office and work at home.

If you have 20/20(or even 20/40) vision it should be absolutely no problem whatsoever to read the text in any Windows application without adjustment on a 1440p monitor at 2-3 feet viewing distance.

Now, whether that's *comfortable* for you is a personal choice, but anyone who says it's not readable is just objectively wrong. If it's not comfortable for you just don't use it I guess, but it should definitely be readable -- 4K is readable at that distance and it's much higher dpi.

I feel like people are confusing personal comfort with readability. The former is normative, the latter is positive.

All you have to do is set windows DPI scaling to 125%.... And you can use "nosquint" plugin for firefox.

I have these 2 on my 1680x1050 20" monitor and it works fine, have never noticed any serious problems with DPI scaling on win 7 pro.

The better PPI is still obvious to me compared to a 1080p 24" screen but the size of the text is very easy to read even for me with blurry eyesight.

I plan to get a 1440p screen for the nice PPI but no chance I will be using it without 125% DPI scaling and nosquint!

Why do people complain about high PPI monitors as if you are 100% stuck at the default size?! You can use scaling and other settings and still have big text and high PPI!

My eyesight is not perfect, but it's good enough that I do not have to wear glasses to read text on a monitor (and I choose not to wear), and the text on my swift is legible enough to me that I do not have to sit terribly close to the monitor (by my own definition, never measured it but probably around 45cm).

I definitely didn't want to get 1080p after going through VX2770SMH, 1080p is passable at 27" but not very desireable, as I could almost make up the lines between pixels if I moved my head slightly closer. Didn't go 4k due to performance hit (I'd rather have SLI performance to be an option, not a requirement), so it was either 1440p at 27" or 1080p at 24" for me. Opted for 1440p because it is a new resolution, doable on a single GPU and Swift was literally the only G-Sync monitor I could buy.

For me it was just at the balance of pixel density, resolution and UI scaling problems (the text is legible enough at 1440p on games that do not have UI scaling problem).

Back