How do you think Intels Yamahill will affect AMD's share price

cheeta05r

Gawd
Intel might be showing off its Yamhill technology at its Developer Forum in San Francisco next month. How do you think Intels Yamahill will affect AMD's share price? Wallstreet tends to not pay attention to technological advancements until they contribute to the companies bottom line. So my guess is it is not going to affect AMD share price initially. In the long run Intel getting into x86-64 was bound to happen if AMD was a success. Intel will bring this technology to servers in 2005 (I read). Whether Intel will get into the 64-bit for desktops is another story. So just how will AMD's bottom line be affected by all of this.

AMD $14.86
Intel $30.52
IBM $99.23

meh i hope not much, i bought my AMD stock at 12.40, i hope it'll get up to around 18 dollars again.

I don't think it'll affect AMD's share price that much because it doesn't directly affect their earnings. I think the release of the Prescott will affect their share price much more (depending on whether it is a success or flop).

Here is what someone else posted on AMDs investment board on Yahoo.

It may actually help AMD by driving the conversion to 64-bit software and by then most of AMD's processor sales should be 64-bit and possibly likewise for Intel. I could be bad if Intel's solution is better but from what I hear even after implementing 64-bit they have a lot of catching up to do in other areas (hypertransport, integrated memory controller, thermal issues...)

Originally posted by cheeta05r
Here is what someone else posted on AMDs investment board on Yahoo.

It may actually help AMD by driving the conversion to 64-bit software and by then most of AMD's processor sales should be 64-bit and possibly likewise for Intel. I could be bad if Intel's solution is better but from what I hear even after implementing 64-bit they have a lot of catching up to do in other areas (hypertransport, integrated memory controller, thermal issues...)

meh.

I dont think it will do anything to it's share price, truly, if AMD doesnt advertise and get into the heads of the average joes more, they wont be seeing "much" growth in their sales. much meaning there will be an increase, but not a ton.

This may be a stupid question, but who's to say Intel's 64-bit extensions will be AMD64 compatible?

Intel is likely to "enhance" AMD64 so that the Athlon 64, Opteron, and FX won't be compatible, or will be at a performance deficit...

Originally posted by Josh_B
This may be a stupid question, but who's to say Intel's 64-bit extensions will be AMD64 compatible?

Intel is likely to "enhance" AMD64 so that the Athlon 64, Opteron, and FX won't be compatible, or will be at a performance deficit...

i think they would be dumb not to implement AMD's 64 bit solution..

if they did, it would divide the market somewhat.. M$ would have to make seperate O/S's so to speak.. even though AMD is the 'smaller' company.. why deny a superior chip and instuction set? which it is..

Originally posted by Jason711
i think they would be dumb not to implement AMD's 64 bit solution..

if they did, it would divide the market somewhat.. M$ would have to make seperate O/S's so to speak.. even though AMD is the 'smaller' company.. why deny a superior chip and instuction set? which it is..

Uhh... I could see that they might use AMD64, plus a few proprietary extensions, that although similar enough to run the same software, could enhance performance later on. This would put the P4 Xeon-CT in a favorable light compared to Opteron. I am just worried Intel will claim they invented the 64-bit x86 - because believe me, this is serious egg on their face, having to adopt AMD64, if it turns out to be the case.

How can you say Intel's implementation of X86-64 is inferior to AMD64? We haven't even seen any information on it yet.

Uhh... I could see that they might use AMD64, plus a few proprietary extensions, that although similar enough to run the same software, could enhance performance later on. This would put the P4 Xeon-CT in a favorable light compared to Opteron. I am just worried Intel will claim they invented the 64-bit x86 - because believe me, this is serious egg on their face, having to adopt AMD64, if it turns out to be the case.

How can you say Intel's implementation of X86-64 is inferior to AMD64? We haven't even seen any information on it yet.

i would believe it to be wonderful if they would have to adopt techonology from a smaller company.

also, the hammer core scales so well with clock speed, once they get it down i do not believe the p4 can keep up. thats just imho ofcouse...

Now this I can see happening.
Intel uses x86-64 with one damn tweak... probably SSE3 or something, just so they have more shiny things and a slight performance advantage for optimized apps.

Even still tho, the quote from the Intel guy pretty much says IF there is a 64bit market, Intel will release a chip. I think they'll wait and see if AMD bombs out on the 64bit part, let AMD take the risks.
If AMD becomes too much of a threat, ie; they start gaining market share again, Intel has the response sitting on the bench.

Also, the way I see it happening, Intel cannot claim they invented x86-64 without some serious repercussions (sp), but they can market it as "Intel's new 64bit processor" or "Freshly designed 64bit processor", "Go 64bit with Intel's Asswhipium" something vague, just enough to get Mr. J. Blow's attention, and he'll certainly take it as Intel started the x86-64 architecture...

Therein lies the problem. Intel is big enough, they could honestly give credit where credit is due and just hype their own version and a good 70% of the people out there would think Intel designed it all on their lonesome anyway...

I don't think enough people would be stupid enough to believe that Intel actually created x86-64 bit architechture. First of all I am sitting here looking at an add for New Egg in the post relpy page in HardForums. Its advertising the new 64FX as the "first and only 64bit chip compatible with todays 32 bit world and tomarrows 64" and "In a class by itself". Second even if Intel decided to try and claim 64 bit as thier creation I think AMD would be in a position for some serious legal action against them despite the size difference in companies. And third I would have to say that I don't beleive that AMD's stock is going to suffer all that much right now from anything that Intel does becuase of the fact that 64 bit chips are selling like crazy and everyone buying a new system wants one .... GOD knows I do! That includes many large corporations.

Originally posted by lentic
I don't think enough people would be stupid enough to believe that Intel actually created x86-64 bit architechture. First of all I am sitting here looking at an add for New Egg in the post relpy page in HardForums. Its advertising the new 64FX as the "first and only 64bit chip compatible with todays 32 bit world and tomarrows 64" and "In a class by itself". Second even if Intel decided to try and claim 64 bit as thier creation I think AMD would be in a position for some serious legal action against them despite the size difference in companies. And third I would have to say that I don't beleive that AMD's stock is going to suffer all that much right now from anything that Intel does becuase of the fact that 64 bit chips are selling like crazy and everyone buying a new system wants one .... GOD knows I do! That includes many large corporations.

64bit is neither of their creations

Originally posted by rayman2k2
64bit is neither of their creations

Yep. It's just about who has the balls to implement it on a wide mainstream level first. And that is AMD.

Originally posted by DaveX
Yep. It's just about who has the balls to implement it on a wide mainstream level first. And that is AMD.

arguably of course

I completely agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, for tier one companies, the server market would be the mainstream for them, enter IBM, SUN, IA64, etc

lol...What about Apple and their claims that the G5 completely dominates the Opteron and Athlon 64?

All of us know that is bullshit but we're playing devil's advocate here.

You forget that Joe Everyman does not visit www.hardocp.com or other hardware sites. He visits www.dell.com, if that.

Yes i realize that Joe Blow doesn't usually come to [H] but my point is that A64's have been getting quite a bit of exposure .... enough that quite a few people that I know that know absolutly nothing about comps still know that AMD came out in the market first and suprisingly many of them are under the opinion that AMD is creating a better chip than Intel. (and no i had not talked to these people before about 64's)

P.S. I know that AMD was not the creator of 64. I meant that they were the first to pioneer it for its current market ... sorry for the confusion.

Yes i realize that Joe Blow doesn't usually come to [H] but my point is that A64's have been getting quite a bit of exposure .... enough that quite a few people that I know that know absolutly nothing about comps still know that AMD came out in the market first and suprisingly many of them are under the opinion that AMD is creating a better chip than Intel. (and no i had not talked to these people before about 64's)

P.S. I know that AMD was not the creator of 64. I meant that they were the first to pioneer it for its current market ... sorry for the confusion.

Well, not to be rude, but most people I know don't even know who AMD is.

My boss told me we'd never use any ADM processors - 'they're underpowered'

L O L

No offense but if he is your boss, who runs the company?

Well, not to be rude, but most people I know don't even know who AMD is.

yeah, marketing for AMD seems to be a challenge. I'm sure they can do it, but they do not have enough money to do the high quality, constantly reoccuring intelesque ads.

L O L

No offense but if he is your boss, who runs the company?

We do. We just let the bigwigs think they do ;)

I hate to get off topic but my dad's friend told him last year to buy stock in this one chinese power company. My dad, being stupid as he is, didn't do it. From last year to this year, the stock grew 3000%. Hope that teaches you all a lesson.

I hate to get off topic but my dad's friend told him last year to buy stock in this one chinese power company. My dad, being stupid as he is, didn't do it. From last year to this year, the stock grew 3000%. Hope that teaches you all a lesson.

that means jack. With the well-received debut of Xbox, Microsoft's stock fell 15 points that week.

Originally posted by rayman2k2
yeah, marketing for AMD seems to be a challenge. I'm sure they can do it, but they do not have enough money to do the high quality, constantly reoccuring intelesque ads.

At this point, AMD doesn't need the frequent and high quality ads that you generally see Intel showing to make a difference. At this point in time, just about anything would help AMD.

The other big thing they need is just to get into systems such as Gateway and Compaq and whatnot. I don't really watch a lot of TV but I usually don't see too many "Intel" commercials. What I do see are a lot of Dell commercials that mention Intel Inside. Companies like that are doing more of Intel's advertising than Intel does. I believe that is better advertising for Intel than just about any commercial they put out.

Originally posted by SmokeRngs
At this point, AMD doesn't need the frequent and high quality ads that you generally see Intel showing to make a difference. At this point in time, just about anything would help AMD.

The other big thing they need is just to get into systems such as Gateway and Compaq and whatnot. I don't really watch a lot of TV but I usually don't see too many "Intel" commercials. What I do see are a lot of Dell commercials that mention Intel Inside. Companies like that are doing more of Intel's advertising than Intel does. I believe that is better advertising for Intel than just about any commercial they put out.

So true... One thing to look at is E machines... I hate to even mention them but they are putting 64 bit chips in thier machines now. I saw some at best buy.... If only they would advertise on TV.

Originally posted by SmokeRngs

See, with the average joe, if they hear "powered by intel" in a commercial for a well-respeced computer company, thats more advertising than intel needs...but you do make a valid point about AMD.

Back