• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do you select a game server?

In the game server browser (before I experience the server itself) I look for:

  • low ping/latency.

    Votes: 122 92.4%
  • marketing-a creative server name.

    Votes: 13 9.8%
  • a server that appears professionally run.

    Votes: 43 32.6%
  • a sever that might have a website/community/forums.

    Votes: 18 13.6%
  • a server that serves my geographic region.

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • other.

    Votes: 36 27.3%

  • Total voters
    132

Blackstone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
4,098
What factors are important to you in selecting a game server to play on? This is not game specific, but does not apply to Warcraft realms or MMORPG realms. I forgot to add map and game settings, so if that is your choice just click other. You can click all that apply.
 
Last edited:
What game?
Many times I dont care about map.
Are there players, is it not full, lowest ping.
 
Are we talking about servers in general or any game in particular? For me, with steam, I look for a "Pure" server with a handful of players in it w. a good ping. So many ass-hat admins put these mods on their servers that just ruin the game imo (yeah, I'm looking at you TF2/CSS).
 
Servers in general. Oh thanks guys i forgot some options like map, game settings.
 
I usually sort by ping first. Then start looking at the maps. Also, if its a HL2 variant I look for a server running stats of some sort.
 
I have filters setup for the gametype, no empty, full, passworded servers, etc.

I then sort it by ping, and pick one out of the list according to how many players are currently playing and what map.
 
yeah this doesnt have enough options.

1. Ping
2. Players
3. Region
4. Server running custom mods
5. Map
 
I sort by ping and look for the server with the most players and isn't running some crappy custom map or is a 24/7 X server. I fucking hate 24/7 servers.
 
1.Ping
2.How many players, better have enough
3.Region
4.What map is playing
5.What is the time limit/fraglimit on the server etc.
 
Generally, I'm looking for a balance between low ping and a high number of players. Bad admins or a complete lack of administration in concert with a lot of griefers can drive me away from a server pretty quickly after that, though.
 
Apply filter for non empty, non full, running the map and game mode I fancy at the time, then arrange what is left by latency and pick the top one which is about 70% full or more, I hate playing on empty servers.
 
Ping
Players
Website/Community/Forums - I've found most places with a solid community and a core set of players keep their servers under control and keep the asshats out.
 
Professional enviroment, limited cursing and annoying cheaters, something with a good ping for where i live (south Korea)

Map doesnt matter too much to me. Ill play almost any map
 
I filter out servers with ping above 150 right from the get go, then i look for a map i like, then i pick one that is almost full.
 
Generally for FPS games, I'll look for a server running a specific map, then find one with a ping under 100 that's maybe half full, with 20-30 people.

With RTS games, I generally go down the list and look at the game titles and filter out the idiots by what they put, as well as their in-game name.
 
Other, I play TF2 servers that have certain mods, fast respawn is one (I hate waiting around)
 
I almost always figure in the map more than anything else when playing TF2. I stick to 24 player, default respawn servers with decent pings on gold rush, dustbowl or badwater. All of that stuff usually sits in the server title and browser.
 
I sort by ping, then browse for a map I feel like playing.

For FEAR Combat, I tended to stick to Capture games.
 
I almost always figure in the map more than anything else when playing TF2. I stick to 24 player, default respawn servers with decent pings on gold rush, dustbowl or badwater. All of that stuff usually sits in the server title and browser.

Badwater is definitely where it's at.
 
I look for a "Pure" server with a handful of players in it w. a good ping. So many ass-hat admins put these mods on their servers that just ruin the game imo (yeah, I'm looking at you TF2/CSS).

QFT

I hardly play CS anymore b/c of all the garbage mods and such that are out there.
 
Ping
number of players and quality
server rules....i.e. no running, no tubes, etc
 
-Ping.
-AWPs enabled.
-Players.
-Standard/League map rotation.

QFT

I hardly play CS anymore b/c of all the garbage mods and such that are out there.

cl_downloadfilter "none" will disable downloading of sounds/skins and other crap. Or put "nosounds" if you just want to disable downloading server sounds. Another thing I do is just type "settings" in chat on most servers to disable all that text crap . (Damage, vote, death beam, etc.) I hate all that shit too. I wish there were more vanilla servers out there without the bloat. Mostly why I just DM, aimmap or play ESEA.
 
i sort by ping then go from there, after ping i would say population is next.

always seem to do better with a 20ms ping vs a 80ms ping could be all in my head but still like the low pings.
 
Low ping *and* a populated server. No point having low ping if there is no one on the server.
 
Low ping/latency, unless it's TF2: then it's a combination of low latency and no instant respawn or any other shitty mods.
 
1. Ping
2. Map/Game mode
3. Players

Roughly in that order, although I may change the last 2 up a little bit.
 
The poll rankings percentages are out of whack, 193% if you add them all up (yeah I'm bored)
 
Back
Top