How do you remove thermal paste?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
2,382
Whenever this question comes up, the recommendation is always the same: Alcohol, usually ethanol or isopropyl, at least 90%. But, where do you go from there? I don't suppose you just drizzle the chip with alcohol and wipe it off do you? What I figured was you dampen a cloth with alcohol and then wipe the goop off.

Any input on this? I got a new northbridge cooler [DFI's stock fan is SO LOUD] and I had initially applied AS5 to it. Could someone tell me the right procedure for getting it off?
 
don't dampen anything, you don't need water

Personally I use lint free cloths for cleaning glasses, they're pretty small but work well
 
Go to Walmart or similar, buy Denatured Alcohol in paint section ~$5 for a large can. Take a paper coffee filter (they are lint free), any will do, dampen with alcohol and rub off compound. Repeat until coffee filter comes out clean after rubbing processor.
 
I recently had to remove some from my CPU. I ended up using a makeup sponge and some rubbing alcohol. It worked wonderfully, and event gave it a bit of a shine ;)
 
Bona Fide said:
Whenever this question comes up, the recommendation is always the same: Alcohol, usually ethanol or isopropyl, at least 90%. But, where do you go from there? I don't suppose you just drizzle the chip with alcohol and wipe it off do you? What I figured was you dampen a cloth with alcohol and then wipe the goop off.

Any input on this? I got a new northbridge cooler [DFI's stock fan is SO LOUD] and I had initially applied AS5 to it. Could someone tell me the right procedure for getting it off?

What did you replace the stock cooler with? Just wondering in case I decide to do the same :).
 
Trick of the trade, use the material that comes with most motherboards(on the bottom of the board) I use it and it works well for getting the paste off.
 
creedAMD said:
Trick of the trade, use the material that comes with most motherboards(on the bottom of the board) I use it and it works well for getting the paste off.

Do you mean that gray/black coarse-ish foamy stuff or the pink/white/yellow spongy styrofoam kind of stuff?
 
coffee filters work pretty good, i also dab a cotton swab with some isopropyl too.
 
kirbyrj said:
What did you replace the stock cooler with? Just wondering in case I decide to do the same :).

I'm also curious as I'd like to go passive if I could, but the placement of the stock cooler is overlapped by large video cards (ie; 7800GT) so it would have to be a funky custom passive to work.
 
Lukano said:
Do you mean that gray/black coarse-ish foamy stuff or the pink/white/yellow spongy styrofoam kind of stuff?

just the gray porous stuff, not the plastic shiny.
 
Yeah, that's what I thought...Vantec Iceberq. They seem to be pretty a pretty common replacement. Let me know how it works when you get it. I'm interested in moving that way also ;).
 
Back
Top