How Do You Pronounce GIF?

I thought Id add how some of the people that I have to support pronounce some things -

.PDF = "uh-dough-bee" file
.DOC = "my-crow-soft" file
.PPT = "pres-in-tay-shun" file or "talk" file

.docx, .xlsx = "Fucking god damnit why cant I ever open the files she emails me"

Those of us who are past their teens/early twenties say it with a j because that is what the creators of the extension called it, and that is what was taught in school. The young'ins use the hard g, but then again they also use words like phat, haxorz, 1337, and noob.... so they automatically lose any pronunciation argument on those grounds alone.

Wow, we spoke like that in the mid 90's. Kids still do?

Those of us who are past their teens/early twenties say it with a j because that is what the creators of the extension called it, and that is what was taught in school. The young'ins use the hard g, but then again they also use words like phat, haxorz, 1337, and noob.... so they automatically lose any pronunciation argument on those grounds alone.

I'm past my 20's and have never heard it pronounced "Jif" until today.

For most 3-letter abbreviations, I generally spell out the letters it can be pronounced cleanly with 1 syllable. So GIF, TIF and PNG (ping) are some of the extensions that I pronounce. I say each letter for IDE though... feels like it can be easily confused for a chemical suffix.

GIF=Graphics Interchange Format

Why would I replace the G with a J as opposed to taking on the pronunciation of the word the G stands for? If I heard someone pronounce it "Jiff" I would think they were retarded.

+1 for this man! When the developers at my company all called it "Jiff", I almost died laughing (inside).

I have known it is supposed to be pronounced "jif" for a while but never liked it. Also as someone else pointed out there is already a .jiff extension.

GIF = gif(t)
PNG = Back and forth between p-n-g and ping
MOV = Back and forth between m-o-v and move
IDE = i-d-e
CRT = cart (Might be the only one to do that lol.)
PATA = pat-a
SATA = sat-a
SCSI = scuzzy
ASUS = A-suhs but the way it comes out when i speak it sounds like A-sis
Linux = Lynn-ix (linda without the da)

Y'all a bunch of nerds.. That's what you guys are.. Y'all Jays.. :D

.GIF - Gif
.JPEG - J-peg
.AVI - A V I
SATA - satan

.gif = gift -t
.jpeg = Jay peg
SATA = Say Ta
.png = ping
.tiff = tickle -ckle if
IDE = IDE
.mov = move or movie file
CRT = C R T
SCSI = Scuzzi aka dirty

"Gift" without the T.

I hate that out stupid language has redundant and/or interchangeable letters like G and J, each should have its own distinct sound.

"Gift" without the T.

I hate that out stupid language has redundant and/or interchangeable letters like G and J, each should have its own distinct sound.

We would have to re-write about 2500+ years of history for this to be "fixed".

I've always said GIF (like gift without the T). I say J PEG like it is two separate words and the whole SATA pronunciation thing pisses me off so much I say "Serial ATA."

I actually had some retail store employee try to correct me and say "do you mean "SATA" (pronounced say-ta) and I said "No, I mean Serial ATA" you do-shhh (spelled douche) .

Same here... GIF= "Giff" JPEG= "jay-peg" AVI=A-V-I (I've heard "aw-vee", and about slapped a hoe...)

Oh, and people that say "Say-tuh" or "Sa-tuh" I feel are idiots. Serial ATA sounds more official to me.

I'm thinking it's a regional thing. Here in the Southwest, I've never heard anyone use the word 'jif.'

jiff-peanut-butter-lrg.png.jpg

So, it seems as if everyone pronounces .jpg as "jay peg" or "j-peg". What the heck is the other way to say it? Spelling out the letters? "Jipp-guh"?? lmao.

If someone says "Jiff" I'm not gonna have a clue WT[H] they are talking about. :)

Ive always said it like a G, like gift

Same. Gift. Give. Guilty. Gimme. Gringo. GILF. Guitar. Google. Gradient. Graphic... the J sound is an exception to the rule if anything.

The giving GILF grants the guilty gigolo a grotesque gimmick, opening the gates to her garden, gargling his golf balls and grinding his girth with her gushing gills.

Boo-yah.

Why would I replace the G with a J as opposed to taking on the pronunciation of the word the G stands for? If I heard someone pronounce it "Jiff" I would think they were retarded.

Yes, so that makes more sense. It should be pronounced Gif with hard G like "get" not a soft J sound, as you would hear with "Giraffe".

HEY!!!

Yes, so that makes more sense. It should be pronounced Gif with hard G like "get" not a soft J sound, as you would hear with "Giraffe".

HEY!!!

Giraffe should be pronounced with a hard G. The soft J sound is a bastardization of Olde English / Olde Norse, and the Nordic countries all pronounce it with a hard G.

Also, GIF stands for 'Graphics Interchange Format' so it shouldn't even be a question.

Same. Gift. Give. Guilty. Gimme. Gringo. GILF. Guitar. Google. Gradient. Graphic... the J sound is an exception to the rule if anything.

The giving GILF grants the guilty gigolo a grotesque gimmick, opening the gates to her garden, gargling his golf balls and grinding his girth with her gushing gills.

Boo-yah.

/end thread

This-ing this because I can't fucking believe this thread somehow went to six pages after this post.

This man is right, you are wrong, end of story.

GIF = GIF (gift without the t)
JPEG = J-Peg
SATA = Sat-Ta (closer to satellite than say-ta)
Asus = A-Seus (I find it annoying when someone says Ace-us because there isn't any pronounciation in that except for the A)

I've always pronounced it "jif", like I was pronouncing a brand of peanut butter.

This-ing this because I can't fucking believe this thread somehow went to six pages after this post.

This man is right, you are wrong, end of story.

I would think the people who created the format would be more right than some random person on an internet forum.

Besides that, I've never heard it pronounced with a hard G. It's always been peanut butter to me.

Well if you want to pronounce it the way the creators intended then it should be "jif" (or soft "g") but since you can't technically be wrong when pronouncing an acronym, you can say whatever you want. I go with a hard "g" as that is what it looks like to me when I read it. According to several dictionaries, either is correct.

I don't pronounce it. I instead take great personal enjoyment out of yelling JEE EYE EFF whenever somebody asks.

I've always called it "JIF," but only because I was told it was the correct pronunciation from the start. My family used Compuserve (creators of GIF) as an ISP back in the early 90's (I was a child). For the most part, I adopted my brother's pronunciation habits, and I trusted that he was rarely incorrect.

Given no guidance, however, I would have chosen the more logical hard-G pronunciation.

SATA - Sat-ta/Say-tuh/Say-duh/Serial Aye Tee Aye
PATA - Pay-tuh/Parallel Aye Tee Aye
GIF = Jiff
Linux = Linn nicks
.docx = Doc-Ex (Doc as in doctor, ex as in your boyfriend)
.ppt = Powerpoint/Pee-Pee-Tee
.xls = (excel) spreadsheet
SCSI = Scuzzy
BIOS = Bye-Ohssss
CMOS = See-Moss
SQL = Sequel/S-Q-L
CPU = Processor/C-P-U
DAC = Dack
ADC = A-D-C
VoIP = Voype
TIFF = Tiff
PNG = P-N-G
ASUS - Aye-soose (Like loose)
ABIT = Aye-bit
JPEG = Jay-Peg
MPEG = Em-Peg
H.264 = Aych-two-six-four(or sixty-four)
HardOCP = Hard-O-C-P

Back