How do you PRONOUNCE Cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only recently learned the current pronunciation of Cache, but I still say "ka-shay."

Also, I pronounce linux "linn-ux", and Asus, "ausus."

i pronounce them now:

A-sis
A-bit
Fiddy
Scuzzy
beh-tah
Sequel
My S-Q-L

how about Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering ??? :D

I have a friend that pronounces the word "Router" as

ROOT - ERR

faggot :rolleyes:

I used to always call linux line-ux but now that I use it every once and a while (when I'm bored or if I'm at school and I can't get around the filter, then I use a Knoppix boot disc) I know pronounce it correctly as lin-ux. I used to mess up cache but once I actualy heard someone on the all-mighty TV say it, I switched to cash.

Why don't we call IEEE just firewire instead of AIEEEEEEE!!!!? Save us alot of hassles and funny looks :p

SQL, sounds like the sound of anyone paying a Microsoft license fee - "Squeal"!

:D

CASH

Eh, Canadian? Bit
Eh, Canadian? Sus, rhymes with bus
Scuzzy
Fiewyah
yoou esss beee
Super Smash Brothers May lay - that one pissed me off..I downloaded the wav off of some dictionary site and put it on repeat really loud so that the stupid little nintendo kiddies I was babysitting who are barely literate could hear the pronunciation

Originally posted by lukeh182
i've actually heard people mispronounce ASUS:eek:
I will keep mispronouncing it until the mispronunciation becomes correct. UhSOOS just sounds stupid. AYHsis is right :p
Originally posted by emorphien
Read em and weep

Cache isn't a word specific to the computer world, there's a correct way to pronounce it.
It's also listed in www.m-w.com with a pronunciation WAV file that you don't need membership to hear :D

Originally posted by Stang Man
how about Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering ??? :D
those aren't even acronyms!! you can just look them up in a dictionary (and by that of course i mean www.dictionary.com , not some sort of paper thing, a, um, boook [pronounced like mook, which is moooook in case you haven't seen timon lately])

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
Router in french is routeur (rooter).

We had a french customer who said rooter..... drove us fucking MAD.

Roto-Rooter?

Eww Sus, is how it is said, for Asus that is.

*shrugs*

I call Asus ay-soose. SCSI is scuzzy, EISA was eye sah.

I call Athlon's Ath-a-lon's (its easier to say).

Don't start with the dahn's (down) and frahn's (frown). Because yinz guys all know I'm from the burgh n at.

Originally posted by Keith130
I had called it Ka-Che for so long before my friends corrected me, the funnist one for me was when i said ooo-r-al (no not as in oral) for URL! it sounds so stupid now though!

I just called URLs "Earls"...still stupid, but I still do it.

Originally posted by malingjc
...EISA was eye sah...

Wouldn't that be regular old ISA?

For EISA I've heard it both eee-eye-sa or just eee-sa.

And isnt it eye triple eee thirteen ninety four? Which I just typically translate into firewire... but apparently i.Link is also appropriate:

Does 1394 have a formal name?

The name FireWire, which was coined by Apple, is still used by a few vendors. Others have adopted the name i.Link, which is trademarked by Sony Corp., and has become a popular moniker for 1394-enabled products and technology in Japan.

Ripped from: http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/About/faq.htm#7

-dB

Originally posted by d03boy
I still cant understand why linux is pronounced "lin-ix", apparently its not "ly-nix"... how do you pronounce Linus Torvalds? ly-nis or lin-is

Actually Linus Torvalds is finnish-swedish and i've heard him pronounce it in swedish, the american version of it would be like "lee-nux", still hard to pronounce unless you've ever heard finnish.

In English, ie not the version of English most Americans speak :p, router is said rooter.

Its our language. You stole it. We're taking it back.

So there :p

Originally posted by Abuse
In English, ie not the version of English most Americans speak :p, router is said rooter.

Hear, hear!

And people thought I was crazy for pronouncing 'router' as 'roo-ter' =)

BTW, according to the Oxford Dictionary (10th edition), a 'router' is 'a power tool with a shaped cutter, used in carpentry', whereas a 'rooter' is 'a device which forwards data packets to the appropriate parts of a network'.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that Americans pronounce 'route' as 'rout' :eek:

Originally posted by Elledan
Next thing you're going to tell me is that Americans pronounce 'route' as 'rout' :eek:

Some do.

What the hell is wrong with you guys mispronouncing Thames all the time? That's just plain silly!:D

Definately cashe as CASH, route is not root, Thames is TEMS........but for Linux, I've always said LY-NUX.;)

Originally posted by Abuse

In Pittsburgh, it depends on the road. There is rout 30, root 22, rout 19.

Originally posted by malingjc
In Pittsburgh, it depends on the road. There is rout 30, root 22, rout 19.

That seems to be the case anywhere. It seems like major roads are root, the minors are rout. Root 80, and in rochester, rout 15 if someone calls it that. But then its sometimes root.

AHH!

Originally posted by Monkey34
Definately cashe as CASH, route is not root, Thames is TEMS........but for Linux, I've always said LY-NUX.;)

See! I'm not on drugs after all! In grade school I learned that if it goes vowel-consonant-vowel you say the first vowel in its LONG form. in linux's case, tha twould be an 'eye' sound. L-eye-nux... I cant seem to understand where anyone gets Linn-ux... doesn't quite make sense

Originally posted by obyj34

Why don't we call IEEE just firewire instead of AIEEEEEEE!!!!? Save us alot of hassles and funny looks :p

Because IEEE is a standards organization. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. (Like ANSI, pronounced "ann-see")

IEEE 1394 is a Specification set forth by the IEEE

And 802.2, 802.3, and 802.11

BTW. I say "route" differently, depending how I'm using it.

If I'm driving, i say "root"

If i'm networking, I say "rrr-out"

If i'm being Bob Vila, I also say "rrr-out"

To me, t's lin-ucks. But I used to say Lie-nux, when I first saw it.

Originally posted by d03boy
I cant seem to understand where anyone gets Linn-ux... doesn't quite make sense
Listen to someone speaking Finnish. Then you'll understand.

Originally posted by BigGreg85
or how about FDDI.....i call it "fiddy"

29 or 2 for FDDI! </mr alans>
seriously though..it's $$$ all the way and that's how i pronounce FDDI too! :p

wow, now i really know how to pronounce cache, i was planning a few days earlier to start the exact kinda thread asking how to pronounce it but i kept forgetting anyhow, my question is answered, thanks

by the way, i absolutely suck at pronouncing new words when i first hear them and no one corrects me
i used to pronounce it the way it looks
like home depot i would say home-dee-po-t
and acrylic, i used to say akklik

i m bad at pronouncing new words.. people laugh at me:mad:

Originally posted by Elledan

I actually use both, lol.

I also say "eye EE EE EE thirteen ninty-four", just as fast to say it that way as "triple-e".

L- inn-ucks
rout (as in, the battle was a ROUT) -er

I sat cash but hear catch in a daily basis.

At least this isn't as bad as how do you say gif.

Is it Jiff, or giff?

heh I say giff.

Originally posted by Grimlakin
At least this isn't as bad as how do you say gif.

Is it Jiff, or giff?

heh I say giff.

I say giff too. Which is funny because my field is imaging and everyone around me says jiff. I just say jiff these days to fit in. I still think it's giff personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back