How do you name your drives?

naro

Limp Gawd
hey guys,

I'm getting more and more hard disk drives and i've no idea how to name them?

C: i usually name it WinXP or something like that

while for the other data drive i just called it Data1, Data and etc.

And i'm having a file server now, what should i name the drives on the file server?

thanks

I usually name the drives according to what they are being used for. I find it better to be descriptive. For example: C: System, D: Storage and etc.

so you just leave it as 'New Disk' which is the default name given when formating?

"Local Disk", yes. Why change it? I can remember what's where.

this is how my drives are named.
C: System
D: Data
E: Seagate400
G: WD_60_GIG
H: WD_160
J: Maxtor200
K: Video_A
L: Video_B
M: Video_C

My drives are named as follows:

C: - Local Disk
D: - Music Videos
E: - Music
F: - DVD's 1
G: - DVD's 2
H: - Backup
I: - Backup 2
J: - External

when u get more than 3-4 hard drives it makes it really hard to remember whats on it, especially when you have diff things on the drives, its fairly simple for my dvd drives and music, but on my backup drives i have pictures and documents, and appz and misc things.

I use lots and lots of computers. Anything I can do to help myself with maintenance is a big deal. So I name the C: drive after the motherboard model; this saves me from having to open the hood to find drivers, look for updates, and so on.

After that, I'll set the volume label on the rest of the drives for their use. On servers this usually means "LOGS" and "DATA", since I install SQL Server and put logs on one spindle and data on another. That's not such a great scheme, lately, so I've been falling away from it.

On workstations, I'll use the volume label to identify which drives are baked-up and which aren't.

I only rename my 2nd internal drive and I call it Storage. I name my USB keys according to what they are: 2GB USB, 1GB USB, etc.

My PC (bubba):

c: system (system disk)
d: diag (for cloning c: and holding drivers and backup data)
e: storage (games music and photos)
z: dump (stuff which is being processed or is temp as well as pr0n)

Then I have 2 shared disks on NAS used for home entertainment purposed.

Frappuccino (tv eps, documentaries, cartoons) and Mocca (movies and anime)

My htpc is called Latte since it's an Asus Spresso.
So the htpc thingy has a coffee theme...

All Macs at home belong to my gf hence her naming convention.

iMac (Chii):
Macintosh HD

Firewire Disk.. = Spock

iBook (Lestat)

D-Link 320 (Piggy)

If you are administering many machines I would do as some of the others mention and use descriptive labels for the disks.

i find it very amazing how some people can come out with very creative names for their PCs.

I just can't seem to think of creative name for my rigs.

guys,

i'm wondering how network administrators name the drives. especially when there's local drives and networked drives. Anyone knows?

using a method that is Incredibly detailed.

On my gaming box i have
C: OS
D: Stuff
E: More stuff

On my fileserver
/ (80gig sys drive)

/stuff which is also shared as \\stuff\stuff
(2tb array)

:)

(C) is named System
DVD/CD drives are named whatever letter they are
All other local drives are named Sata1, Sata2, etc

- the Sata corresponds to the Sata port its connected to, how many times have you opened the case after shutting down the PC and forget which drive is on which port? (if they are all the same drive):D

On Flyest I just have C:Local Disk and D:Downloads
On Servy I have C:Local Disk, D:Local Disk (haven't renamed it yet), E:Apps, F:Music, G:TV, J:Movies.
On Tabby I have C:Local Disk
On Lappy I have C:Local Disk and I don't know what the Linux drives are named

usually after manufacture and size, if i have more than one of a specific drive i start numbering.

Ex.

Hitachi4GB
Seagate4GB
Seagate160GB
Western250GB
Western250GB2

server:
C: Local Disk
E: Data

laptop:
C: Local Disk
Z: \\sakhan\e$ (no name)

I do name the removable [format][capacity]
aka, SD1024, USB2048, etc.

Usually by what they're used for. My C: drive is named "System" since all that's on it is XP. E: is named "Brain" since it has all the Applications and Games. D: is "General" since it has just about everything else. My USB flash drive is named "Finger" because I couldn't figure out what else to name it (LEXAR seemed dull) and I figured it'd be funny to start naming my stuff after body parts...

Hitachi4GB
Seagate4GB
Seagate160GB
Western250GB
Western250GB2

Ditto, except I usually shorten the brand name e.g. WD-320.

It's easier for me to keep track mentally of which drive is which that way (nerd syndrome). Naming based on use is a no-go, since I end up changing my mind and drive uses frequently.

To OP - name it whatever way seems logical. After your third or fourth PC, you'll figure out a system that works for you.:)

I use the OS name for the system drive, aka "WinXP" or "Win2K" or "Vista_<edition>."

For the other partitions - and I normally split a drive into two, system and the rest - almost without fail it'll be called Storage since it's where the bulk of whatever I have will be till it gets burned.

I never have anything more than 80GB drives in my machines, so anytime I acquire something I want to keep, it gets burned off to DVD pretty quick.

Was just looking at that new sticky about showing off your storage and noticed that one machine with 10 500GB drives. Geez... must be nice to have money to spend on such things... :p

Size, if it is external or internal, and brand name if I need further differentiation. I use my directory structure and share name to designate and define usage. (\&#37;root%\movies, for example, then Movies$)

I know it's probably weird to use brand name, but I can remember what brand all of mine are and how much they hold. The internal and external designations are how I remember which are my backup drives.

I have all of my machines on a Gigabit switch and shared, so I have drive mappings out the ying-yang. :eek:

MAXT200a first drive
MAXT200b_1 2nd drive, partition 1
MAXT200b_2 2nd drive, part 2
SEA500, WD120, etc

I'm really tempted to name them HDA1, HDB2, SDA1, etc... because that would be ironic.

I have 2

c:/Macs
D:/Rule

I use my PC for gaming and Macs for work and I always lean to my Macs :)

Why use old fashion drive-letters? C: is plenty enough for harddrives (rest disks are as mountpoints) and one letter for DVD+RW (D:)

In the Star Wars Domain,
Each computer is named after a planet from Star Wars,
Each drive is named after a city from that planet,
Each external drive is named after suns and moons in that solar system
example:
PC Name:Tatooine
System Drive: Bestine (Capital)
Drive: Mos Eisley
Drive: Mos Espa
Drive: Wayfar
External Drive: Tatoo I (Sun)
External Drive: Tatoo II (Sun)
And of course, User logins are based on characters from SW w/customized themes and icons.

Alternatively, you can have similar Themes from LOTR, Star Trek, Harry Potter or any other favorite tv show/movie/story.

I actually have my desktops and servers named from LOTR and my laptops named after ships from Star Trek. Backgrounds include cool wallpapers of the ships and reskinned based on Trek stuff. My Ipods are named after Firefly/Serenity ships, and my USB drives are named after shuttles from Star Trek.
For a time I had my Ipods/mp3 players named after ships from X-COM, Skyranger, Interceptor, Lightning, Firestorm, and Avenger. You could name things after the UFO ships of course.

Drives are named after locations from Ships based on similar functionality, ie system drive is Bridge, storage drives are Lounge or Storage Bay, pr0n drive is Holodeck or Medical Bay etc.
Admin is renamed Captain and other users are named based on rank or position.

I actually have a spreadsheet of potential themes/names for domains/systems/drives... I've thought out LOTR objects and locations, SW ships and planets, ST ships, XCOM, McAffrey's PERN series, Saberhagen's 12 Swords, Naruto Villages & Hidden Villages, and star constellations. I've considered Babylon 5, BSG, XMEN, other Marvel/DC comics, ExoSquad, TMNT, and other cartoons. Sources include Encyclopedia of Arda and Wookiepedia other articles on Wikipedia.

On my old Windows Server, I used to have drives named after their Serial numbers so I knew which to replace when I had to swap them out or move them. I also keep a spreadsheet of every hard drive I own or bought.

I once had a roomate name his half dozen drives after girl names... and spread out his um... storage collection based on those girl names...

I've also seen a system named PIZZA, and each drive named after favorite toppings.

C usuakl stays as C, i know what it is, the onyl time i name it is if i got 3 or 4 drives.

and usually they are diff size so i just label themt he size and i know what is on them,

or just like
downloads
docs-pics

or if it is an external drive

ext**** some name

ext30g or something

nothing complex.

i just find with HD's getting so Big, i usually toss my older drives into friends comps i fix and just buy one big one that can hold it all.

Mine are:

C: Operating System
E: Primary Hard Drive
F: Secondary Hard Drive
G: External Backup

Simple and efficient

Back