how do you guys clean your LCD's?

indokyne

2[H]4U
i've heard different methods and do's and don't regarding LCD monitor cleaning. I heard products like windex were no-no's but others say no big deal.

i have these little 'wet-naps' from work that say monitor cleaner on them but i don't know if they're meant for CRT's / glass as opposed to LCD panels.

so how do you guys keep your LCD's clean?

i have 2 glasses cleaning cloths (the ones you use to clean eye-glasses). i wet one with good ole tap water and give the screen a good wipe with the damp cloth, then i dry it with the dry cloth. works like a charm.

What I do is dust the monitor free from dust with a feather duster. Then.. whatever streaks that's on the lcd screen I use either tap water and a micro fiber cloth. Or, I use the Screen Cleaning Spray from Digital Innovations I bought from CompUSA or CircuitCity and use that.

I have the Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP LCD. I heard there is some sort of "anti-glare coating on them. Would using a liquid cleaner (water, alcohol) disturb this coating? Or is the coating underthe surface I would be cleaning.

Thanks,
Jim

1. Never, never, EVER use Windex or other ammonia-based glass cleaners on your LCD screen. They are as bad as using sandpaper and WILL ruin your screen. Your LCD screen is NOT glass.

2. Glossy finishes are more fragile than matte finishes.

3. The ONLY guaranteed safe cleaning method is to use distilled water (available in any grocery store) and a soft, lint-free microfiber cloth. Coffee filters are probably too scratchy to use. A good source for microfiber cloths is an eyeglasses store.

4. Eventually, you may end up with an oil or dirt buildup that distilled water just won't remove anymore. In that case, use a very mild alcohol based cleaner, but do that as few times as possible, because regular use can interfere with fragile finishes. Again, a good source for these cleaners is an eyeglasses store (lots of eyeglasses have finishes as fragile as glossy LCD screens).

5. There are a variety of monitor cleaner products out there. I distrust these, especially those with silicone included in the ingredient list. None of them will be as safe as distilled water.

i've heard different methods and do's and don't regarding LCD monitor cleaning. I heard products like windex were no-no's but others say no big deal.

i have these little 'wet-naps' from work that say monitor cleaner on them but i don't know if they're meant for CRT's / glass as opposed to LCD panels.

I use the same type of cloth that came in the case w/ my glasses. It does a pretty good job. My screen isn't really dirty at all though... it's just really dusty.

so much junk out there nice to see what others use.

I have the Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP LCD. I heard there is some sort of "anti-glare coating on them. Would using a liquid cleaner (water, alcohol) disturb this coating? Or is the coating underthe surface I would be cleaning.

Thanks,
Jim

I have two 2007FP's and I clean them with a yellow kitchen cloth with hot water. And kitchen paper to dry them. Works perfectly.

I use lightly dampened kleenex(water). Works great no damage so far. I use a dry kleenex for drying the surface.

With wings tips of angels.

First rule, just don't touch the screen surface. Most cleaning is the result of human fingers. I use a soft lens cloth, dusty daily by bushing the cloth edges like a dust mop without finger tip pressure. That's it, done.

yeah touching your screen is what makes it dirty. Also, never eat corn on the cob in front of your monitor unless you hate it.

i have 2 glasses cleaning cloths (the ones you use to clean eye-glasses). i wet one with good ole tap water and give the screen a good wipe with the damp cloth, then i dry it with the dry cloth. works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip, that will be my new method.

I also use the "one wet, one dry" microfiber cleaning method, works great. Easier to just not touch the screen, but the tough part is getting everyone else not to touch your screen ;) .

yeah touching your screen is what makes it dirty. Also, never eat corn on the cob in front of your monitor unless you hate it.

Mmmm corn on the cob...good with cajun seasoning, apparently bad with monitors :D .

Yea, don't every try corn on the cob in front of a monitor.
Bad things happen. :mad:

Anyway, I just use Carl Zeiss lens cleaners for mine and they work pretty well since our tap water is like acid here.

Back