How Do U Show Off?

All this sub/no sub stuff is irrelevant too. Most people don't have a good enough listening room or good enough source to drive nice speakers. Typically people just go for the most boom that they can get and don't care about anything resembling accurate sound reproduction, which is why we have Hi-Fi systems to begin with.

stunna said:
which do most people like better?
2 monitors and a sub or 2 floor standers? when it comes to 2.1/2.0 systems.

I prefer 2 monitors and a sub. Providing bass all the way down to 20 Hz requires surface area and power. Most people don't want 12" drivers in their towers, and don't have adequate power to push them down low. Look at the box and port sizes on some of the 12" subs that are truly capable of 20 Hz at decent output levels...they're huge! Add in the fact that they pretty much all use 250+ watts...for the most part, that's just not going to happen in a tower. Most people don't use that kind of amplification on their mains. In my opinion, for those of us who are on a budget, going with separate satellites and a sub just turns out to be the most realistic approach.

Movie= Apollo 13

Game= HL2

Music= Enya (seriously, it is awsome hearing Enya in 5.1 [had to spend a butt load to get the Enya stuff in 5.1 though :( ...but hey! It is worth it.])

Movie : Xmen/Xmen2/Final Fantasy
Album : Blue Man Group : The Complex 5.1
Game : Doom 3/HalfLife2

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
All this sub/no sub stuff is irrelevant too. Most people don't have a good enough listening room or good enough source to drive nice speakers. Typically people just go for the most boom that they can get and don't care about anything resembling accurate sound reproduction, which is why we have Hi-Fi systems to begin with.

There's a good number of people on this board that have some nice gear, where a sub isn't just something to make loud thud sounds. Having a proper room, on the other hand, is a luxury that hardly anyone really has, but we can all still work with what we've got.

truffle00 said:
I prefer 2 monitors and a sub. Providing bass all the way down to 20 Hz requires surface area and power. Most people don't want 12" drivers in their towers, and don't have adequate power to push them down low. Look at the box and port sizes on some of the 12" subs that are truly capable of 20 Hz at decent output levels...they're huge! Add in the fact that they pretty much all use 250+ watts...for the most part, that's just not going to happen in a tower. Most people don't use that kind of amplification on their mains. In my opinion, for those of us who are on a budget, going with separate satellites and a sub just turns out to be the most realistic approach.
thnaks for the info

bjornb17 said:
for 2.1, i have two floorstanding monitor speakers with 12" woofers each, as well as a velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer. :D so your question isnt relevant
I didnt know there were floorstanding monitors

and what kinda room would i need to take full advantage of nice speakers?

stunna said:
I didnt know there were floorstanding monitors

and what kinda room would i need to take full advantage of nice speakers?

The ideal room would most likely be double-drywalled, lined with acoustic foam to absorb and scatter HF sound, solid concrete slab to deaden any extra bass response, and afford you enough room to place each speaker 4ish feet from any walls. Then, put the sub at a nearfield position, like directly behind your couch. Also, avoid square rooms, you end up with nasty standing waves and the like, rectangular is better. Bass traps might also be nice in the corners.

There's a reason why I said a great room is a real luxury :D

Personally, I show off my Klipsch speakers by dropping the Mother Of All Bombs aka The MOAB in Generals:Zero Hour.. It tends to get the job done.. as well as piss off some elderly neighbors. Music wise.. I mostly listen to 70s and 80s rock.. weird for a 16 year old huh? but anything that has an electric guitar soloing out some notes real high on the fretboard sounds excellent through the speakers

Doom 3 sounds awesome in 5.1. It makes use of some tight bass out of my (500+) :) sub. Some Dvd-audio Queen is impressive.... Also for a movie... Vampire hunter D series

Oh wait!!!!! And you simply cannot leave out DMX in "What's my name??!?!?!???!!!" The single most hardcore song i have ever heard. For those of you that have heard the full unedited full quality version of the song on quality speakers you know what i am talking about. It can be so hilarious. It almost makes me want to get a big black Cadillac SUV and put all my speakers inside and cruise around really slow staring people down. Just listen to the song.

Music: Ian Moore - "Blue Sky" (actually, his entire first album would do nicely)
Concrete Blonde - "Jenny I Read"
If you want foundation-rattling bass, try "Fallen Angel" by Robbie Robertson (he's also great to test vocals)
Peter Gabriel - just about anything, though it won't test range so much as clarity
Tool - "(-) Ions" - this one will piss off the neighbors for certain.

Movies: SPR, of course
Black Hawk Down (it didn't get the Oscar for Best Sound for nuthin')
Super Speedway (an IMAX film made with the Andretti family)

Games: I dunno

Seraphim974 said:
Doom 3 sounds awesome in 5.1. It makes use of some tight bass out of my (500+) :) sub. Some Dvd-audio Queen is impressive.... Also for a movie... Vampire hunter D series

Oh wait!!!!! And you simply cannot leave out DMX in "What's my name??!?!?!???!!!" The single most hardcore song i have ever heard. For those of you that have heard the full unedited full quality version of the song on quality speakers you know what i am talking about. It can be so hilarious. It almost makes me want to get a big black Cadillac SUV and put all my speakers inside and cruise around really slow staring people down. Just listen to the song.

Doom3 is a great bassfest... they mixed the bass really heavily for when hell-gates open up. What sub you got?

What did that cost?

Reminds me a lot of the UFW-10, AV123's sub. Certainly looks a lot nicer than my PB2+, but I certainly knew that when I ordered it :D

I've got a pair of UFW-12's on order to replace my PB2+, and they hopefully will arrive in March. Originally, it was supposed to be Jan, but that got pushed back..eh. While I end up still with a pair of 12" drivers, I get a much nicer enclosure, another 1100W of amp power, and a nice equalization package. The driver in the UFW-12 is a real beast too..weighs 30lbs =]

my sub $527.49, my denon receiver was, i believe, 500 even off of crutchfield, front b&ws were 632.99, rear b&ws were 474.74, center b&w was 369.24.

i just finished this setup about a week ago. spent 539 on that new viewsonic 19" vp912b lcd yesterday (8th).

And my computer itseld totals somewhere 1800 dollars .

hmmm, and i drive a 90 cutlass supreme that i bought for 500 dollars. priorities.....

Seraphim974 said:
hmmm, and i drive a 90 cutlass supreme that i bought for 500 dollars. priorities.....

Hehehe, tell me about it. I've got more cash invested in audio gear than I care to really think about, but no car, hardly any food, and a DVD writer that won't work. I'm too stubborn to buy another one.. I've got CD's to buy, can't afford that 60$ :D

fav movie for surround is the matrix (original) best part is the shooting scene in the lobby... you hear bullets and pieces of marble all around you lol :)

I use pretty much any song off Radiohead's Hail to the Theif. If the person listening is an audiophile (or is used to listening to good systems) I use the Iron & Wine album Our Endless Numbered Days. Great recording quality. :)

i'm gonna have to make some suggestions as far as listening songs to really explore just how well your system is:

led zeppelin - you shook me, props if you hear the second organ ;)
iron butterfly - inna-gadda-da-vida
rolling stones - can't always get, i don't think it's possible to make the climax too loud.

When my girlfriend needs to relax, I sit her down in my Lazyboy massage chair, lower the lights, light some "Rain" scented candles, and start up 'Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World' as performed by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. That seriously gets her super relaxed, and me too I must admit.

That song can be found on his cd (he is dead BTW), or the Finding Forrester soundtrack, to get it in 5.1 (like I do), you have to shell out 45 dollars (most likely more now, and that is if you can find it) for the one cd. It was a special run of only about 400 cds....I have number 71.

Tiny said:
When my girlfriend needs to relax, I sit her down in my Lazyboy massage chair, lower the lights, light some "Rain" scented candles, and start up 'Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World' as performed by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. That seriously gets her super relaxed, and me too I must admit.

That song can be found on his cd (he is dead BTW), or the Finding Forrester soundtrack, to get it in 5.1 (like I do), you have to shell out 45 dollars (most likely more now, and that is if you can find it) for the one cd. It was a special run of only about 400 cds....I have number 71.

...i was seriously just listening to that song.... i'm scared. :(

thaaaat song
oh wow

it's an amazing episode that you described.
gonna buy some candles.....

p.s. I'll go for the smiths

Holy fucking necro Batman!

I use Avatar. The scene where they first enter the jungle via helicopter. Some good dialog, the need accurate and tight bass as the plants pop (also good for surround separation), the stomping of those rhino things for the deeper bass, then the alien cat scene until he crawls out of the water.

I don't really have any go to music or games as I don't do a lot of showing off. The above scene I know well because I used it a lot to calibrate my speakers when I first got my system and every time I upgrade receivers.

thats a new record for necro, it was 12.5yrs before and this guy just shattered it.

There are some many ...

My all time test album is :
Pink Floyd - The wall

Newer addition are:
Tool - Fear inoculum
Blind Guardian Twilight Orchestra - Legacy of the Dark Lands
Pertubator - Dangerous Days
Le Matos - Chronicles of the Wasteland / Turbo Kid

Music

Nightwish "The Poet and the Pendulum" from Dark Passion Play
Sirenia "The Sirens of the Seven Seas" from The 13th Floor
Metallica Black and S&M, and "One" from ...And Justice for All
Peter Gabriel "The Feeling Begins" from The Last Temptation of Christ
Stravinsky Le sacre du printemps
Enigma, approximately the first 10 minutes of MCMXC a.D., The Cross of Changes, Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!, and The Screen Behind the Mirror
Staind "It's Been a While" and "Outside" from Break the Cycle

and many more, but that's a collection of the highlights.

Movies

Queen of the Damned Blu-Ray as opposed to the (mostly) mediocre CD soundtrack​
Pearl Harbor battle scenes (discounting the incorrect-sounding pistol fire)​
The Fellowship of the Ring introduction to conclusion of Balrog sequence​
Outbreak (do I really need to spell out what scenes I use here? ;))​

Other useful movies are already pointed out in the thread...

Back