How do i save my favorites for new install

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
as title says how do i save my favorites so i can transfer them to my fresh install of XP?
i must have atleast 50 fav's in folders and im sick of typeing them in after every fresh install of XP. is there an easyer way? :confused:

Make a copy of the Favorites folder to a thumb drive or something like that, and then restore it on the new build:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites

Or you can export/import them if we're talking IE. On the top toolbar click FILE, IMPORT EXPORT. Save it as a file and copy it onto the new machine and import 'em.

The same goes for the cookies as well, Export to file from current machine, import from file on the new machine, wala, no retyping ID and PW for all your sites

got it, found the file they are located in. so i guess after a fresh install i just do ctrl v my saved fave's into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator then it will replace the defalt fav's with my old fave's ... right?

dbwillis said:
The same goes for the cookies as well, Export to file from current machine, import from file on the new machine, wala, no retyping ID and PW for all your sites
That's one I didn't know. Thanks.

dbwillis said:

AHHH so easy now. good God after all these years i didnt even know those options were there. :) <------- me noob, ok TY ppl

however does not work the same with outlook, incredimail works so much easyer ;)

the lone gunman said:
got it, found the file they are located in. so i guess after a fresh install i just do ctrl v my saved fave's into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator then it will replace the defalt fav's with my old fave's ... right?
Yep, that will work. I copy mine to a thumb drive, and when I reimage my PC, I copy the Favorites directory back and all of my favorites are there.

djnes said:
Yep, that will work. I copy mine to a thumb drive, and when I reimage my PC, I copy the Favorites directory back and all of my favorites are there.

just for the record, what is a "thumb drive" :)

thumb drive = small portable usb drive

Outlook is easy :> File->Import-Export->Export to a file->Personal Folder File->save it to a location, then on the new PC, reverse it, Import from a file, point it to the saved PST file

Back