• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do I get this darn compound off?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,461
The motherboard is overheating often, so I thought I would pull all the heatsinks, clean them off, apply new paste, and reseat them. The processors cleaned off easy enough, but the north and southbridges are having trouble. No ammount of scrubbing (with an Isopropyl-saturated paper tower) will get this stuff off. Suggestions?
 
sac_tagg said:
The motherboard is overheating often, so I thought I would pull all the heatsinks, clean them off, apply new paste, and reseat them. The processors cleaned off easy enough, but the north and southbridges are having trouble. No ammount of scrubbing (with an Isopropyl-saturated paper tower) will get this stuff off. Suggestions?

Start with something like Goo-Gone. You should be able to find this stuff at any Wal-Mart.

You can also try xylenes.

Whatever you choose, finish it off with a thorough scrubbing with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
 
yeah i don't know if paper towel would be the best idea for that. I mean it could tear and leave those little dust bits all over the back of the hs. Dumb question, but would steel wool do the trick? i mean the thermal paste could fill any scratches it makes.

That or just leave it. If it's still thermal compound and not random junk, you could just leave it and apply the thermal paste.
 
Mnx4 said:
yeah i don't know if paper towel would be the best idea for that. I mean it could tear and leave those little dust bits all over the back of the hs. Dumb question, but would steel wool do the trick? i mean the thermal paste could fill any scratches it makes.

That or just leave it. If it's still thermal compound and not random junk, you could just leave it and apply the thermal paste.

no dont leave it, if its just on the heat sink, try that goo gone or I heard somone saying that they use WD40 too, I wouldn't recommend it but he does. Get an old cotton shirt, and use that, it wont leave scratch marks but its more abrasive than a paper towel, and it wont leave that dust on it. Maybe even heat the heat sink up and try it that way, but what ever you do dont leave it on there
 
Zippo lighter fluid usually works really well. You don't have to have that brand either, just any kind that will work in a Zippo. Juse make sure to clean it all off with Isopropyl alcohol afterwards to get all the lighter fluid off.

 
Alchohol wipes have always worked real well for me. I've also used a touch of Goo-Gone in some more extreme cases. The key there is to clean the Goo-Gone off after your done.
 
Have any of you tried using a hairdryer to heat up the compound? then simpoly wipe it of cuz now it is all warm and gooey
 
Back
Top