How do I get individual files out of a self-extracting EXE?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
It's a huge program that is all packaged up in an EXE, and all I want out of it is the driver. Is there a way to extract the EXE so I can pick through it and just copy the files I need?

Right click > extract to? Or drag with right click > release > extract to path-name of archive.

Should work with all the win's (zip,rar,ace).

No. It's a driver installer that is just a .EXE file that is fully automated once executed. I don't want this, as it installs a huge software suite in addition to the driver (and conviently uninstalls the driver if you try to uninstall the suite). I want to extract the .EXE file so I can just get the driver and use my own software to configure the hardware.

A self extracting .exe is just a file that is made with winzip, winrar, or other archiving software. It will automaticly extract the contents to a selected location/directory. If it is a winrar extracting .exe, then it will look different then if it was a winzip extracting .exe. But in the end they both do the same thing. So, if this is a self extracting winzip or winrar compressed archive, then you should have the option on where to exract its contents, and no applications should be installed. You can extract the contents to a folder on the desktop, then delete everything but the driver.

But you say that it installs a software suite. AFAIK no self extracting executable file will install anything, for thats not what they are created to do. This makes me thing that this is a program suite install file that you are mistaking with a self exracting archive for some reason. If this is the case, then you can't manuely open the .exe and take out the files you want. You may be able to, in the setup uncheck certain features or options of the install, but other then that, there is nothing you can do.

If it's an installer, you might then be able to use command line parameter -a or /a to do an admin install. Or try running it with /? to see if any options show up. Some like Intel's need -a -a in order to pass it to the real setup executable, I believe.

Or if there's any pause during the install, copy the extracted files from your temp folder before it completes.

Is this a driver for a piece of hardware? If so, just try "reinstalling" the software; it'll ask you to find the driver, so just point it to the proper location.

What I have done to get at the files in a installer is to clear out the windows temp folder then run the installer.

And when it comes up to a prompt, dont click next, alt tab to windows explorer and I go and copy the newest folder in the temp folder which usually has some cryptic name to a another location. I then cancel out of the installer.

Back