How do I flash a BIOS?

BIOS9

n00b
My newly built computer has been randomly rebooting every twice a week or so and after a few hours of memtest86 with no errors I believe it may be the BIOS.

I lack a floppy disk drive so I must resort to using Winflash even though I have heard it is a bit unsafer. The instructions on the DFI website are as follows:

1. Please restore zip file to floppy disk and must run "autoexec.bat" in Dos mode. (The "autoexec.bat" combines with specifical parameters for Awardflash must be run)
2. If users do not have floppy drive in their computer system, Please update BIOS by using Winflash Ver. 1.84 and In Winflash Ver. 1.84 program, please click on "Update all" in "update options" area and"Clear CMOS" in "CMOS options" area.
3. Please notice that if users do not follow the instruction listed above unpredictable symptoms might occur to the system.

However, they are not as clear as I would like. Do I check "Update All", "Clear CMOS", and then simply click on the "update BIOS now", locate the BIOS, and go? Could someone who is familiar with Winflash please provide some clearer instructions? I just don't want to make any mistakes with my BIOS.

Thanks guys.

What you described is what you do. Takes 2 minutes.

Another option might be to grab Tmod's bios CD from around here somewhere and see if you can update your bios with one of the ones off of his CD. Can do it in dos without going to Windows.

I don't recommend winflash. I used to use it because I'm lazy. I had success for about 5 flashes. Then I had it lock up on me for no reason. My computer never locks up, and that program hosed it. Fortunately I was able to recover my BIOS. Thanks goodness for Award's boot block. Still, I highly suggest getting a floppy and doing it the old fashioned way. Failing a BIOS flash can be bad, bad news. I have a hard time recommending anything with the prefix "win" in it when you want to be certain it won't crash.

I don't recommend winflash. I used to use it because I'm lazy. I had success for about 5 flashes. Then I had it lock up on me for no reason. My computer never locks up, and that program hosed it. Fortunately I was able to recover my BIOS. Thanks goodness for Award's boot block. Still, I highly suggest getting a floppy and doing it the old fashioned way. Failing a BIOS flash can be bad, bad news. I have a hard time recommending anything with the prefix "win" in it when you want to be certain it won't crash.

I've used windows flash utilities plenty of times and never had a problem with it. YMMV though ;). Certainly easier than floppy if you don't know what you're doing.

Back