• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do I connect *this* to my pc

Your gonna need a reciever or a amp to run those. Then plug your PC into that and you should be good to go.
 
sounds more expensive then I thought it was going to be, thanks :)
 
Yeap; just make sure it has 6-Channel analog inputs. Otherwise, you'll be in the pickle of trying to run it through digital. You'll also need some Mini-jack to Stereo RCA cables (or adapters) in order to run from a soundcard to the amp/reciever. All in all not too expensive, but I'd look into a Logitech solution first.
 
_Sin_ said:
sounds more expensive then I thought it was going to be, thanks :)

Yaa...but it may be worth it in the long run. Not only will you have kickass PC speakers, but you will have a radio and whatever you decide to hook into your reciever. You don't need a real expensive one. Get one that has digital inputs that would work with your soundcard if you can find one.
 
Met-AL said:
Not only will you have kickass PC speakers
I wouldnt really call those speakers "kickass", but I agree with the rest of your post :p
 
saturnine2 said:
I wouldnt really call those speakers "kickass", but I agree with the rest of your post :p
Understood, but they are better than the average PC speaker......
 
not really....well, do you mean average on these forums? If so I would have to disagree. But if you mean compared to grandmas dell, then well, yes.

The z680's for a little more than the cost of a good reciever would be a much better solution imho.
 
I think duct tape would be the appropriate way, personally (Go KLH!)


p.s.
get a cheap-assed used receiver from ebay and whatnot, imho :p
 
Hmm overall, how would those home theather sets compare to say the Z680? You know those things they sell at bestbuy for about 150-200 with speakers and a reciever. I figure it would be more flexible but what about soundwise?
 
awdark said:
Hmm overall, how would those home theather sets compare to say the Z680? You know those things they sell at bestbuy for about 150-200 with speakers and a reciever. I figure it would be more flexible but what about soundwise?

They don't compare at all. Well, let me re-phrase, the one you specified generally doesn't compare in quality or power to the Z-680's (and yes, I've owned both the 680's and the cheap Best Buy 'HTIAB' {home theater in a box} speakers). This, of course, depends on if you care about power/clarity/etc. There are those I've met who can't tell the difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a CD and for those people, the HTIAB's are perfectly fine and a great bargain in general. Personally, I would go with the 680's for any computer surround sound needs I might have, as I generally watch movies on the living room.

In your case, as you already have them, I would either ask a friend if you could borrow a receiver for a day or two to see how you like them, or just go buy a half-decent receiver used from Best Buy / Circuit City / Wherever, as you will most likely be wanting the receiver eventually anyway. Or, if you want a set of 680's, I'm selling mine due to the fact that I no longer game, I'm living in a place where I can't utilize the potential of the speakers, and I could use the cash, so if you're interested (or if anybody else on the board is) PM me. I would prefer not to ship them, as they're huge and whatnot, so anywhere near MN would be good!

Edit: also, the 680's have optical/coax digital in, have a THX rating (although I know it doesn't technically mean anything, I can attest to the good..ness of the sound), and are built for the PC (which is relevant in your particular case as having an 1/8" headphone out on a receiver for your home theater is kinda silly)
 
I did the same thing. I got a Sony 5.1 receiver and a set of KLH 5.1 home theater speakers, total cost was about 200.00

I think they are very nice and I would rank them as good or close to Logitech or promedias, for about half the price...
 
Zardoz said:
I did the same thing. I got a Sony 5.1 receiver and a set of KLH 5.1 home theater speakers, total cost was about 200.00

I think they are very nice and I would rank them as good or close to Logitech or promedias, for about half the price...

u need a price check

I got my logitechs from amazon for $260 shipped about a year ago. They are prolly even less now.
 
computerpro3 said:
The z680's for a little more than the cost of a good reciever would be a much better solution imho.
I don't know if they're much better. The Z680s sound like ass IMO, and I've heard a number of HTIB that sound pretty good.
 
Yeah, if you think the 680's sounded like ass, then you probably didn't set them up optimally and/or your source sound probably wasn't very good. A badly set up awesome system will usually sound worse than a very well set up midrange system. Its all about the setup, man! :D
 
insanarchist said:
Yeah, if you think the 680's sounded like ass, then you probably didn't set them up optimally and/or your source sound probably wasn't very good. A badly set up awesome system will usually sound worse than a very well set up midrange system. Its all about the setup, man! :D
I know how to set up a system, and overall I'm unimpressed with the Z680s. Even for the price, I'd rather spend more and get something worthwhile. In fact if you look around they're not applauded for having the most refined sound.
 
5.1 receiver with either a digital in or just get some mini-->RCA jacks and viola.
 
emorphien said:
I know how to set up a system, and overall I'm unimpressed with the Z680s. Even for the price, I'd rather spend more and get something worthwhile. In fact if you look around they're not applauded for having the most refined sound.

Ahh, I agree w/ that. They're no REALY home theater speakers by any stretch of the imagination. I would, however, take the ease of setup and whatnot of the 680's over a HTIAB system if I were using it for a computer (and thus, most likely on games) for the same price. Now, I should probably have been more clear on my opinion of the 680's, and so I will; they are decent for the sub-$300 computer speaker category. That said, they shouldn't be used for recording or anything and, if you can afford it, a decent REAL speaker setup w/ a dedicated receiver, etc., will most certainly blow the socks off of the 680's. Sorry for the mix-up! :D
 
Back
Top