How Do Digital Projectors Work

This should be renamed to "Please enjoy our exploded views of Machines: How Things Work because we don't give a shit how they work because it took us a long time to make these models and exploded views for you to enjoy."

Being 50 years old. This stuff is just amazing. I think my first movie was Aristocats.

I'm still amazed that we just can't get rid of heat problems. Physics always catches up with us.

How does dust NOT cause problems? Light reflect offs it, that's how you see it. Does the light around it just bleed back into the small dark spot made by the dust because of the reflective as of the atmosphere? So would dust affect a projector is a vacuum (meaning no "air", just dust particles)? I can see the heat "wave" from the hot air affect the image on some projectors. But that is a larger mass than a dust particle.

Being 50 years old. This stuff is just amazing. I think my first movie was Aristocats.

I'm still amazed that we just can't get rid of heat problems. Physics always catches up with us.

You're not an old man, you're nothing but a sister!

How does dust NOT cause problems? Light reflect offs it, that's how you see it. Does the light around it just bleed back into the small dark spot made by the dust because of the reflective as of the atmosphere? So would dust affect a projector is a vacuum (meaning no "air", just dust particles)? I can see the heat "wave" from the hot air affect the image on some projectors. But that is a larger mass than a dust particle.

It is a problem. That's the debate between sealed and unsealed designs. Unsealed designs are much easier to cool therefore cheaper, but they could cause dust blobs to hit the imaging area. Dust however a few mm away from the imager isn't a problem as they quickly get whaffed through, and the optics often blur out the flaw. (That same reason why small specs on your glasses are hard to see, as you are focused past them)

And Mirrors still suck. DMD has horrible contrast ratio, and they all fail with time (even 3 chip designs)

How does dust not cause problems?

Simple grab a flashlight. Stick your much bigger than a dust particle finger in front of it. Move it away until there is no more shadow. You have all the information in terms of beam pattern that was there without a finger int he way, but slightly dimmer at worst. Dust is much smaller, the distance at which this happens is less.

Now why/how that happens? Beats the hell out of me. Talk to a physicist who specializes in optics.

How does dust not cause problems?

Simple grab a flashlight. Stick your much bigger than a dust particle finger in front of it. Move it away until there is no more shadow. You have all the information in terms of beam pattern that was there without a finger int he way, but slightly dimmer at worst. Dust is much smaller, the distance at which this happens is less.

Now why/how that happens? Beats the hell out of me. Talk to a physicist who specializes in optics.

Right, and so I assume that this is because the air itself causes diffusion of the surrounding light enough that it fills in what was absorbed by the dust particle. But something like a finger causes too large of a light hole. But in space (or a simulated vacuum) where you have no "air" molecules, would dust particles cause a noticeable speck in the image? But this begs the question, do projectors (front and rear) have softer images becuase of the pixel light always bleeding into those around them? If it works to fill in a dust particle, wouldn't it always be in effect?

I used to love that "How Things Work" show when it was on Discovery/TLC... then they moved it to the Science channel which of course is a premium channel in a higher costing package (which I don't have) and TLC became a place where they'd do shows about 16 year old midget pagent queens who are pregnant and the whole channel went to shit.

I used to love that "How Things Work" show when it was on Discovery/TLC... then they moved it to the Science channel which of course is a premium channel in a higher costing package (which I don't have) and TLC became a place where they'd do shows about 16 year old midget pagent queens who are pregnant and the whole channel went to shit.

TLC has been crap for the last 20ish years.. and Discovery has gone that route as well

TLC has been crap for the last 20ish years.. and Discovery has gone that route as well
I used to watch both of them back in the day all the time. I enjoyed watching the surgeries they would do on TLC, really fascinating stuff, and the documentary shows that was on Discovery.
Both seem to just be reality based channels now.
Documentary type shows are what I prefer to watch.

I used to watch both of them back in the day all the time. I enjoyed watching the surgeries they would do on TLC, really fascinating stuff, and the documentary shows that was on Discovery.
Both seem to just be reality based channels now.
Documentary type shows are what I prefer to watch.
same here

ID is good still

Back