How Dare Mercedes, Google Exec Use Apple's 'Magical'?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A Mercedes commercial (starring a Google employee) that contains the word "magical"? Uh oh. :eek:

We also know that Apple considers its own products "magical;" so "magical," in fact, that the word is used over and over and over again in its advertisements and press releases. Whether Apple has gone so far as to make any legal claims on "magical" I do not know - it has for Magic TrackPad -- but my ears perked up during yesterday's broadcast of the British Open when I heard Google executive Vic Gundotra use the phrase "magical software" in a commercial for Mercedes Benz.

It would surprise few to see Apple sue over this.

It would suprise few to see the PTO validate their claim.

Lawsuit is a given, what I want to know is whether it was black magic or white magic and who's using which.

only a fool believes something is "magical" anyway. Let Apple have it, they have all the fools they can handle.

Apple stock up $80 a share since I bought it on June 20th. I dont own a Mac, but like my son says, there are more noobs in the world than enthusiats. Keep buying those Macs! LOL.

So basically we have an internet blogger attempting to fan the flames for a lawsuit here?

Wow. Apple is fast becoming the Apple of the trademark world. They've just about passed up Oracle for ridiculous patents.

so traffic was just going "too fast" and he felt the need to keep driving?

(hypothetically speaking of course, since this probably never fucking happened)

"Magic" is the new name for the "[blank]-assist" and "[blank]matic" gadgets in Mercedes' lineup. The next S-Class is going to have "Magic Body Control" adaptive suspension, which will be the next generation of Active Body Control. Instead of merely continously adjusting the hydraulics 30 times per second to keep the car level, it will actually scan the road ahead and know how to adjust even before it goes over the bumps. They will also have Magic Sky Control, which will be an electrochromic glass roof that can darken and lighten with buttons. So I guess we'll be hearing more about "magical" things from them.

I was doing something with Google the other day, importing contacts or something and they used the word 'insanely'. That word choice couldnt have been by accident

What the hell is so "magical" about this software?

1. Calculate how fast your closing in on the car in front of you.
2. IF Your closing too quickly, send message to braking computer apply brakes proportionally to the rate of required deceleration.

Done

What the hell is so "magical" about this software?

1. Calculate how fast your closing in on the car in front of you.
2. IF Your closing too quickly, send message to braking computer apply brakes proportionally to the rate of required deceleration.

Done

What's so magical about a search engine like Google's? I mean, all it does is root through the web indexing information.

It is a simple idea, yes, but there's more to it than you allude to. Getting software to work with hardware 100% every time is hard enough, let alone the requirements of a vehicle safety system.

Back