• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How cool would this be...?

clean_me

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
375
More like how Nerdy, but I just bought a Xerox Phaser 8550DP colour laser printer and it has a 600mhz PowerPC processor &256mb RAM...hahaha. My printer might fold! This could be an interesting project, very successful or very.......horrible--a non-printing $2k cdn printer :p

EDIT: Link here Xerox Phaser 8550DP

EDIT #2: Is this even doable? It has an ethernet connection and its own built-in web server, so I'm assuming so. Just have to use fold server?
 
It probably boots its own OS out of ROM. You would have to re-flash the ROM, probably with a Mac OS or Linux since it's a PPC, but I'm sure it wouldn't work since the ROM is probably only a few megs and not big enough to hold a real OS. There are probably no options for booting over LAN since this is a printer. The web server is a pretty small application that enhances the supportability of the printer - that doesn't mean that you can boot from it. Sounds like a good way to turn a $2000 printer into a $20 obsolete Mac.
 
Well, it's PowerPC. And of course, it's running a RTOS of some sort (if you could even call it an OS...) and not OSX ;) There's up to a gig of ram in that thing, though, for large bitmaps and so forth. It'd probably be a decent folder if you could get it going, but that'd be pretty tricky. I say save the effort and print up some FAH fliers instead ;)

 
unhappy_mage said:
I say save the effort and print up some FAH fliers instead ;)



$20 says you could print out fliers and step-by-step instructions on how to install and run it, telling them to insert your name, and get 100borgs without doing anything bad :)

People will say, I'm curing cancer? Neat.
 
Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
$20 says you could print out fliers and step-by-step instructions on how to install and run it, telling them to insert your name, and get 100borgs without doing anything bad :)

People will say, I'm curing cancer? Neat.

Yeah, but then people would be accusing you of killing trees you insensitive clod! ;)
 
p[H]ant0m said:
Yeah, but then people would be accusing you of killing trees you insensitive clod! ;)
Meh. Trees grow back, and paper's biodegradable. Cancer isn't so nice.
 
Back
Top