How come there aren't more mobos using SO-DIMM?

vipz

Gawd
A cursory glance at Newegg reveals that 2x4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM kits achieved price parity, while 2x8GB SO-DIMM kits aren't that far away.

Given the rising laptop shipment numbers, it doesn't seem likely that SO-DIMMs will become more expensive in the future relative to regular DIMMs.

Especially for mITX boards, using SO-DIMM would mean more flexible DIMM slot placements, and room for more slots.

Probably because there isn't a good size market for such mobos. I remember Asus had something similar awhile back. Never took off.

But it doesn't have to be that way - Z77 ITX w/ 4 SO-DIMM slots, anyone? :D

But it doesn't have to be that way - Z77 ITX w/ 4 SO-DIMM slots, anyone? :D

Sounds like a good idea, the 8gig sodimms are not much more expensive and then you get 32 gigs in the ITX board easily.

I think that he is talking about this one:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TI_Deluxe/

dghBZ4ySodO7oUNR_500.jpg

It is a good board, but sadly, it is for AMD and we know the story.

Before it was kind of hard, since prices were higher, but now, i agree, it is a great time to switch to SO-DIMM and yes, 4 SO-DIMM slots would be great in a ITX mobo.

Wow, seeing this and the Asus H67 board makes me really appreciate just how clean the Asrock's Z77 board's design is.

The Asrock z77 cpu is quite close the pcie slot compared to some older boards.

Well, I am guessing they figure that they can fit regular sized dimms on there - what's the point?

A few months back when the P8Z77-I was announced it was the one thing I was hoping they had changed from last year's that had used SODIMMs

Heck, what I want is mobo choices that run Socket G2.

My experience with laptops lately has shown me that a mobile Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge chip is easily good enough for what I need (as long as it's quad-core anyways!) and does it at 35-45w TDP.

So bring me some socket G2 parts so I can build a hellacooler running system!

Shouldn't it be possible to achieve 35w-45w via underclocking and undervolting?

I assume they are (or wll be on release) basically the same stepping as 3570K etc but sold with a lower default clock - achieveable as you say with underclocking. At best they may be binned to select those that operate on a lower vcore.

I think it's more of a concern with motherboard real estate savings with SODIMMs

Thanks.

And yeah, this thread was originally about real estate savings.

Back